"How to Listen" Listener Training Software (beta) Available For Free Download

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Which version of Firefox are you using?
I can't seem to figure that out but I'm on auto updates so it's a recent version but not quite the 4.0 which I found but didn't want to take the time to install.

... just click on the "Download anyway" hyperlink which starts the download.
I did! ... but it wouldn't take me seriously and did nothing. :rolleyes:

No matter, it got done and the program is doing it's work as a teaching tool. I think it's a brilliant way to show people what they do and don't have the ability to discern while helping them learn how to listen better.

I think your ears are trained and ready to appreciate a pair of Revel Salon 2's :)
I agree ... send me a pair. :D

I don't know about trained but I had my girl listen to the one and only track that I missed by more than a factor of 1. She couldn't tell the difference between any of the EQ choices even though her hearing isn't damaged. I figured the difference in our abilities lies in the fact that I have been paying attention to what I hear for a few years now and I care about the differences in what I hear where she has never paid any attention at all and has no interest in being able to tell where the 6db bump is. I always knew she couldn't listen for sh!t. ;)

Man I would like to spend about a year getting good at that.
My number has dropped to like 58% with a bunch of other trials at level 6
... always by a factor of 1 ... it's really aggravating.

EDIT:

... and how about some other scores from the first Band ID thing that says 'Peaks,G...'

Last edited:
tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
I can't seem to figure that out but I'm on auto updates so it's a recent version but not quite the 4.0 which I found but didn't want to take the time to install.

I did! ... but it wouldn't take me seriously and did nothing. :rolleyes:

No matter, it got done and the program is doing it's work as a teaching tool. I think it's a brilliant way to show people what they do and don't have the ability to discern while helping them learn how to listen better.

I agree ... send me a pair. :D

I don't know about trained but I had my girl listen to the one and only track that I missed by more than a factor of 1. She couldn't tell the difference between any of the EQ choices even though her hearing isn't damaged. I figured the difference in our abilities lies in the fact that I have been paying attention to what I hear for a few years now and I care about the differences in what I hear where she has never paid any attention at all and has no interest in being able to tell where the 6db bump is. I always knew she couldn't listen for sh!t. ;)

Man I would like to spend about a year getting good at that.
My number has dropped to like 58% with a bunch of other trials at level 6
... always by a factor of 1 ... it's really aggravating.
Level 6? You need to get to Level 8 to be considered sufficiently trained to be a Harman listener, and some of them have gotten beyond level 12. Keep practicing! The program selection is a factor in getting the right answer, as are you are likely finding out.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Level 6? You need to get to Level 8 to be considered sufficiently trained to be a Harman listener, and some of them have gotten beyond level 12. Keep practicing! The program selection is a factor in getting the right answer, as are you are likely finding out.
I'm wicked good at level 2. :D

Does that program know what level I'm doing well with and keep me at a level that is gonna keep me engaged and learning? It just dropped me back to testing/teaching at level 5.

Last edited:
tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
I'm wicked good at level 2. :D

Does that program know what level I'm doing well with and keep me at a level that is gonna keep me engaged and learning? It just dropped me back to testing/teaching at level 5.
Yes, the software drops you back to a lower skill level if you get too many wrong answers. For Band ID, this occurs if you get 3 consecutive wrong answers. If you get the next 3 wrong, you're probably qualified to become a professional audio reviewer :)
(refer to graph here: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2008/12/part-2-differences-in-performances-of.html ).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis