How to ground an AV receiver

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I read that the shunt mode of MOVs shunts the surge to ground which could impact sensitive electronics. When the UPS switches to battery, the ground for devices on it is still tied to the outlet, so the shunted surge "dirties" the ground for all devices.
That is nonsense. There is no absolutely bullet proof way of preventing lightning damage.

I have given you best practice. I lived 20 Years in the Paul Bunyan Forest and we had severe storms with heavy lightening,

I will admit that I had, and still have, the ultimate solution which is an auto start generator.

I had one at the lake and have one here, so I can go off grid in severe weather. A 20 KVA auto start generator is a wise investment and protects the whole house and above all gives you power in power cuts.

I have a Cummins 20 KVA unit here.

hutt132

hutt132

Audiophyte
That is nonsense. There is no absolutely bullet proof way of preventing lightning damage.

I have given you best practice. I lived 20 Years in the Paul Bunyan Forest and we had severe storms with heavy lightening,

I will admit that I had, and still have, the ultimate solution which is an auto start generator.

I had one at the lake and have one here, so I can go off grid in severe weather. A 20 KVA auto start generator is a wise investment and protects the whole house and above all gives you power in power cuts.

I have a Cummins 20 KVA unit here.
Ah was wondering if it was nonsense or not. I appreciate all your help and feedback on this issue. It's been racking my brain lately because it sucks to lose thousands in equipment. I know there's not a way to 100% prevent lightning surges, so just been trying to figure out what the best way to set up my devices are going forward to mitigate surge issues as much as possible.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I don't want to brag, but I'm in the lightning capital of the western hemisphere.

I'm going to agree that the best lightning defense is a combination of lighting rods (to prevent direct strikes) and a whole-house, well grounded SPD1 arrester.

Type 1: Stops surges outside the house from getting in.
Type 2: Stops surges on one circuit from getting to another.
Type 3: Stops surges on one outlet from getting to another.

In all cases: you want one with an indicator of the health of the shunt(?). MOVs wear out and suppressors need replacing.

Those tend to create surges all their own.

Back in the 1990s, during a protracted power outage at our Palo Alto data center, someone forgot to fuel the generator. It went out and the center went to battery power but no one noticed... that is until the battery died.

Once the battery died, the UPS went into bypass (so it was no longer acting as a surge suppressor). When they refueled and then started the generator, the spike from the start up (now directly wired into the circuits that fed the ethernet switches and severs) took out half the facility.

I'm assuming that you've got surge protection between your generator and the rest of your house (and your generator may have conditioning directly on it).

For me: my continuity plan is centered around a quartet of powerwalls.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis