How to get Atmos sound track with a 1080p display

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
Hello,

I don't know if i'm at the right place, so sorry if not...

I need an information.

I have a 1080p TV and a Dolby Atmos capable AV receiver. But because my TV is only 1080p I can't get Atmos soundtrack for movies on Disney Plus for example wich is only availlable with 4K resolution. I would like to know if this device could be able to get 4K signal and Atmos to my revceiver and then downgrade the signal to 1080p for my TV ?

www.easycoolav.com/products/4k60-hdmi-splitter-1x2-dolby-vision-hdr-scaler-edid-setting-sp12h2

Thanks for your help and have a nice day,

Olivier

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There is a device to plug into the source to trick it into thinking the display is 4K. I can’t remember off hand, but will try and find it.

Oh duh. I just looked at the link. Checking…

hmd666

hmd666

Enthusiast
Thanks for the answer Wiiliam. I'll wait for your info ;-)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Now I have to check to see if I have Atmos in my theater with Disney+.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. Looks like the one. HD fury is another brand but much more expensive.
I need one of these too for Vudu and Netflix.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yep. Looks like the one. HD fury is another brand but much more expensive.
I need one of these too for Vudu and Netflix.
What's weird is that depending on what display is connected, I get very different codecs available.

I can have Atmos, but no 4k if a 1080p display is connected. Some apps show neither Atmos or 4K.

Some show everything. It's really quite odd.

Tidal let's me have Atmos tracks on my living room receiver, but I have no atoms speakers installed. No other app let's me try to use atmos but tidal, and only on my two denon receivers (both support atmos, but only one has atmos set up).

Hmm.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
YeH it’s really irritating how there’s no real rhyme or reason to it. I also think it’s stupid that some platforms don’t unlock Atmos without 4K. At least there’s a solution anyway.
Btw, did I mention I LOVE Atmos music?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
YeH it’s really irritating how there’s no real rhyme or reason to it. I also think it’s stupid that some platforms don’t unlock Atmos without 4K. At least there’s a solution anyway.
Btw, did I mention I LOVE Atmos music?
So it is 100% per app. I get Atmos no problem in my theater on the HBO Max app, and my PJ is 1080p. Disney+ just shows 5.1

In my living room, no Atmos speakers, but I do get Atmos in Disney+. That TV is 4k.

All that tells me is that they are lazy with their streams and didn't put the Atmos mix into the non-4k stream. Or it's Disney and they're just a$$holes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So it is 100% per app. I get Atmos no problem in my theater on the HBO Max app, and my PJ is 1080p. Disney+ just shows 5.1

In my living room, no Atmos speakers, but I do get Atmos in Disney+. That TV is 4k.

All that tells me is that they are lazy with their streams and didn't put the Atmos mix into the non-4k stream. Or it's Disney and they're just a$$holes.
I don’t have Disney plus yet. But Vudu and Netflix both are known to keep the Atmos tracks out of 1080 streams. Iirc, I did see it reported that Disney are just being a$$holes. Not sure it’s true or not.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately the app/device combo issues concerning atmos support suck. You never know what you’ll get ‘til you try it. I remember being pissed off when Disney+ would not pass an atmos signal when the Nvidia Shield was not set to 4K. That’s some bulls#%t! Some TVs that are just a few years old may only get you Dolby Digital+ from most if not all of their Smart apps.

G

Gary7

Audiophyte
Atmos reception seems to be (obviously) hardware/platform/software related, with a specific combination of requirements to satisfy (most at the whim of the streaming vendor).
I have an older LG plasma upstairs with my 5.1.4 system (Yamaha RX-A3080) and receive Atmos on Disney+, Netflix and HBOMax on all Atmos-encoded material via a Roku Ultra. No such luck with Amazon Prime, despite the material advertised as Atmos. Perhaps Amazon is reliant on a 4k connection, but for me, there is no such restriction with Disney+, Netflix and the (very limited) material on HBOMax.
Previously, I *did not* receive Atmos on an older Roku 4k stream stick with the exact same system.

My downstairs 4k receives all programs in DolbyVision no problem (have not checked Atmos, but I suspect Amazon may work there.

HTH,
Gary

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately the app/device combo issues concerning atmos support suck. You never know what you’ll get ‘til you try it. I remember being pissed off when Disney+ would not pass an atmos signal when the Nvidia Shield was not set to 4K. That’s some bulls#%t! Some TVs that are just a few years old may only get you Dolby Digital+ from most if not all of their Smart apps.
Yeah, if I cared I would probably force the shield to a 4k resolution to fool the app, but then I'd have to make my AVR downscale everything to fit my 1080p projector. I feel like that would have an effect on picture quality.

This is just another idiotic way business find little ways to screw with us. Or, as I said, they're just lazy and/or stupid.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis