How to get Atmos music on my PC?

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
I'd like to play Atmos music on my PC while I work, but I'm trying to figure out how to avoid dropping $2K+ on a home theater receiver just to get Atmos.

I already have a separate amp for my speakers. Is there a cheaper DAC that's a smaller form factor? A typical receiver is too wide.

My PC has two subs and two towers pointed roughly at my ears. I can put bouncy-house speakers on top, but unless I buy a specially made rig, I don't think I can do speakers behind or above. A center is also outta the question as I have 6 monitors, and there's no space. Phantom center is fine since I'm the only one sitting at my desk.

What DAC + speaker arrangement will allow Atmos music at my desk? I don't want headphones.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For something compact and less expensive you can consider using PC specific hardware as opposed to adapting home audio gear. For home audio gear you need separates or an AVR and the cost can add up and size requirements as well. Maybe something like the Soundblaster X3 which is small and has a volume control. The X3 uses 1/8" stereo jacks on the back for 7.1 support. This is typically for PC speaker setups that use 1/8" plugs, but you can use 1/8" to RCA adapters to connect external amplifiers.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
First, I wanna play Atmos content, but second, adding two heights gives me part of it.

I'd like to try it out. If it's not worth it, nothing lost.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
First, I wanna play Atmos content, but second, adding two heights gives me part of it.

I'd like to try it out. If it's not worth it, nothing lost.
That is a real waste of money and effort. To make Atmos work, it is all or nothing pretty much. The bed layer of 5.1 and preferably 7.1 and preferably 7.2 is essential, and then for all but the largest rooms four ceiling speakers. I think that placement to Dolby specs is very important, as you would expect if you understand the principles behind the rendering and mixing.

For pc use for streaming to a pc, the source has to allow it and most don't. The you need to download an app from the site. I have used apps in my TV for streaming. The BPO have just come out with an app for PCs, but I have not downloaded it yet.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
The intended way of atmos is 3 speakers on the front. Two surrounds. And two ceiling based speakers. And this is the starting point!
They even claim Dolby atmos using a phone and tablet. I've tried it and it's nothing compared to a av receiver.
Sorry but unless you consider an av receiver and extra speakers, you ain't getting dolby atmos at all.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
Wasting money or effort on something fun doesn't bother me. But it sounds like it's too much of a hassle.

Thing is, if I did setup a receiver and 2 Atmos heights, I can then use the downloaded Tidal app for Windows 11 and get some mix of Atmos working in Windows correct?

Or does Tidal's Microsoft Store app not support Atmos? I'm curious.

Also, my place of work gave me a Mac, and I'm not sure if it supports spatial audio.

The biggest issue with Atmos audio is HDMI. If I could use USB, no big deal. But if I have to use HDMI, then that poses a huge problem because, without a display connected, a receiver has to act as a fake monitor, and if your mouse or some window goes into that fake monitor, good luck finding it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, Tidal’s Dolby Atmos tracks aren’t supported on Windows. Tidal’s supported device list isn't always up to date so that may not currently be so. Microsoft requires their Dolby Access app be downloaded for Dolby Atmos playback from services.

Apple Macs, while supporting the base channels of Apple Music’s Dolby Atmos tracks, do not support the processing of Dolby Atmos metadata. They also do not support Multichannel(Dolby Atmos) tracks from any other service. Apple has lots of work to do on Macs for Dolby Atmos and hi-res output.

Dedicated streaming devices such as the Amazon Fire Cube, Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield Pro will support Tidal’s Dolby Atmos tracks. The Apple TV 4K also supports Apple Music Dolby Atmos tracks. The Amazon Fire Cube also supports Amazon Music Unlimited Dolby Atmos tracks.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
You can play back Dolby Atmos without Dolby Access so long as the playback device supports bitstream output. MPC-HC, VLC, and Windows Media Player all support this method of playback; although, MPC-HC and VLC require configuration to get it working.

Dolby Access is only required for apps that use Windows Spatial API like games.

That enables Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, but if you install DTS Unbound, you can switch to DTS:X for Home Theater. It's strange to me, but the Windows Spatial API handles everything, then either Dolby Atmos or DTS:X converts it to a format your receiver can understand.

If Windows was supported by Tidal using Windows Spatial API, it wouldn't be locked down to Dolby; you could output over DTS:X too!

---

Looks like neither Windows nor Mac supports Dolby Atmos audio or 360 unless you have Sony headphones or a compatible Sony player like their AV receiver.

Source:
It sounds like I need to hook up a SHIELD to an Atmos-capable processor to get Atmos audio; I can't do it from my PC itself. I'd lose any speaker output from my PC though, so notifications from work won't get played unless I setup ZONE2 speakers.

So until an app exists to do Dolby Atmos bitstream or uses the Windows Spatial API, Atmos music on my PC is not possible :(.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My PC has two subs and two towers pointed roughly at my ears. I can put bouncy-house speakers on top, but unless I buy a specially made rig, I don't think I can do speakers behind or above. A center is also outta the question as I have 6 monitors, and there's no space. Phantom center is fine since I'm the only one sitting at my desk.

What DAC + speaker arrangement will allow Atmos music at my desk? I don't want headphones.
What kind of towers? By "pointed roughly at my ears," do you mean a near field pc setup? Not all towers or speakers work as near field monitors, IME, or toed-in, for that matter.

As someone who has historically chosen larger, monitor type speakers, I took it for granted that all speakers could work up close like that, and I was mistaken. Once I started getting into different speaker designs, I found that the spaces I tend to inhabit and the way I like to listen up close to my systems, actually favors the monitor types. Other towers I have, I thought were flawed, but actually worked fine pointed more straight and as a whole room speaker.

Reason I ask is, a good near field is incredibly immersive even as a 2.1 setup. So much so, in fact, I never care to consider atmos or even 5.1, for music, or desktop videos/gaming.

Just trying to understand (i'm not into movies/tv so I really don't know) what would drive people to keep looking further into more and more audio effects, or it makes me wonder if something might be missing from the main speakers to start with before looking further. That and, friends I have that are HT junkies with dedicated surround sound rooms, have since implemented their own 2.1 music systems in other rooms of their homes after sitting at mine. Now they chat me up in the evenings with song selections from sitting at their pc based near field systems while their HT is mostly unused during the week. They had no idea that 2.1 was even a viable way to listen anymore, and thought it just a budget, or all-in-one trivial/ghetto way to get music at a computer desk.

A well implemented 2.1 near field is a step up from headphones, with SQ, SPL, and in the immersive sense from my experience. Only reason I mention, or ask is, because I had friends give up on optimizing their systems because they thought they needed more channels and speakers to contend with today's content. That and for those with limited space/convenience with regard to multiple channel systems and gimmicks, that there are still uncomplicated ways to get totally immersive sound without headphones.

Sawtaytoes

Sawtaytoes

Junior Audioholic
What kind of towers? By "pointed roughly at my ears," do you mean a near field pc setup? Not all towers or speakers work as near field monitors, IME, or toed-in, for that matter.

As someone who has historically chosen larger, monitor type speakers, I took it for granted that all speakers could work up close like that, and I was mistaken. Once I started getting into different speaker designs, I found that the spaces I tend to inhabit and the way I like to listen up close to my systems, actually favors the monitor types. Other towers I have, I thought were flawed, but actually worked fine pointed more straight and as a whole room speaker.

Reason I ask is, a good near field is incredibly immersive even as a 2.1 setup. So much so, in fact, I never care to consider atmos or even 5.1, for music, or desktop videos/gaming.

Just trying to understand (i'm not into movies/tv so I really don't know) what would drive people to keep looking further into more and more audio effects, or it makes me wonder if something might be missing from the main speakers to start with before looking further. That and, friends I have that are HT junkies with dedicated surround sound rooms, have since implemented their own 2.1 music systems in other rooms of their homes after sitting at mine. Now they chat me up in the evenings with song selections from sitting at their pc based near field systems while their HT is mostly unused during the week. They had no idea that 2.1 was even a viable way to listen anymore, and thought it just a budget, or all-in-one trivial/ghetto way to get music at a computer desk.

A well implemented 2.1 near field is a step up from headphones, with SQ, SPL, and in the immersive sense from my experience. Only reason I mention, or ask is, because I had friends give up on optimizing their systems because they thought they needed more channels and speakers to contend with today's content. That and for those with limited space/convenience with regard to multiple channel systems and gimmicks, that there are still uncomplicated ways to get totally immersive sound without headphones.
I appreciate your response.

I didn't consider near- vs far-field speakers. I'm sure mine are definitely not meant to be this close to my ears.

I liked the sound of my Polk Reserve R700s on my main system and upgraded the Polk Signature S60s on my PC to match. I've always matched the two Polk towers on my PC to the ones I use in my home theater.

Over time, as I gained more and wider monitors, my speakers moved further and further to the sides.

Right now, they're pointed directly at my ears at a ~160 degree angle. It provides a very interesting stereo effect like I'm wearing headphones.

---

I don't want Atmos on my PC because the sound of 2-channel is bad; far from it. It's because Atmos music is fun to listen. I want to explore more songs and hear what they sound like, but I don't wanna sit in my home theater to do it. I'd like to do that music exploration while I work instead.

Also, I play(ed) games on my PC. I love the immersion I get from Spatial Audio on my home theater, and it's always been my dream to replicate that in my office ever since I was a kid.

2-channel can sound good, but it won't give you cool effects like things behind or above you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis