How to dub my old VCR tapes??

S

shelley3862

Audiophyte
I am needing some "easy" do it yourself instructions on copying some old family VCR tapes. I will be recording/taping VCR to VCR. Can anyone give me some start to finish instructions as far as setup from VCR to VCR, TV etc? I basically have no idea where to start. Too many cords and plugs for me to try to figure this out on my own. I have two VCR's and my TV to work with. Thanks!!

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have a receiver with multiple video inputs or just a TV?

With a receiver its pretty easy. Hook the playback vcr to video 2 (audio left (white)/ right (red) and video (yellow). Hook the recording vcr to video 1 - outputs of video 1 to the inputs of the vcr. Select the video 2 source on the receiver and start playback. Hit record on the recording vcr and wait till its done. Most newer receivers are setup this way with video 1 having the outputs and video 2 input only - yours may differ.

With only a tv, the process is slightly different. The TV will need to have one video input and one video output jack.

Tell us more about what you have and better advice could be given.

S

shelley3862

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply...I have two VCR's and a TV.

U

Unregistered

playback vcr:
audio l/r and video OUT to TV audio and video IN

tv and recording vcr:
audio and video OUT of TV to record vcr audio and video IN

Select line-in on the recording vcr. Usually the tv/vcr button on the vcr remote will switch from tv (signal coming from cable wall outlet if you have cable tv hooked up) and line-in which selects the signal connected to the input jacks of the vcr. You will also have to switch the tv input to match the input that you connected the playback vcr to; eg if the input jack on the back of the tv is labeled 'video 1', use the tv's tv/video button to switch to video 1.

Start playback and hit record on the recording vcr.

* If the TV doesn't have audio or video OUT jacks, and many older or low cost tvs don't (you didn't say what type/brand of tv!) then you can still do it by connecting the playback vcr's OUT directly to the recording vcr's IN - but you won't see the picture.

U

Unregistered

Hey ppl!

Hoping for a little bit more detail here...

RCA cable connections:

TV has 1 vid in (yellow) and 1 audio in (white/left/mono?)

Reciever has no video/yellow ins/outs at all. 1 W/R IN for AUX and 1 w/r in for cd. 1 w/r REC OUT for MD/Tape1 and 1 w/r PLAY IN for MD/Tape1. 1 w/r REC OUT for Tape2/Monitor and 1 w/r PLAY IN for Tape2/Monitor. 1 Pre-Out for Subwoofer.

DVD player has one video out and a 1 set of AUDIO out W/R or L/R.

1 VCR has LINE OUT 1W/R/Y AND LINE IN 1 W/R/Y.

2 VCR has same.

Currently connected as so:

VCR LINE OUT W/R to RECIEVER Tape2/Monitor PLAY IN.

TV VIDEO/YELLOW to DVD VIDEO/YELLOW.

DVD W/R to RECIEVER AUX W/R.

I want record a several tapes and I want to watch several tapes. I figured it would save the most time if I just recorded as I watched so that is what I would like to do. As of now and with my home ent equiptment capabilities .. the only thing I know that I could do would be to watch the VHS and then record VCR to VCR later with no video.

2 questions:

1) Is there any way that any of you can see that I am would be able to watahc and DUB vhs simultaneously with my equiptment?

2) If I have to record VCR to VCR with no video ... can I speed the recording up by fast-forwarding or somehting alike?

Thanks so much for any help. Best regards. -Brian

U

Unregistered

Pretty tough with no video switching on the receiver and no video out on the tv. I'll assume because you have a receiver, you want it to send the sound to your speakers so the tv is not in the loop for audio.

Playback vcr audio out to receiver tape 1 in [gets the audio to the receiver in stereo]

Playback vcr video out to record vcr video in. [video from playback vcr to record vcr]

Receiver tape2/monitor audio out to record vcr audio in.
[receiver switches the audio and sends it to record vcr connected to the tape2/monitor out]

Record vcr video out to tv - you will have to use a video switchbox to hook up both the vcr and dvd to the tv. A Y-connector would probably work but there will be some signal degradation and you should avoid having the dvd and vcr playing simultaneously.

I haven't use a tape monitor loop in awhile, but typically you have to select tape1 so it is the source, then press the tape2/monitor so that you are 'monitoring' what is being sent from the source. Note that even when you are not recording, you will have to have both vcrs on and the tape2/monitor selected to view output from the playback vcr. This setup is not very elegant but I believe it will work.

There is no way to dub faster than real-time (ie as you watch it) unless your vcr specifically has that capability.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
Pretty tough with no video switching on the receiver and no video out on the tv. I'll assume because you have a receiver, you want it to send the sound to your speakers so the tv is not in the loop for audio.

Playback vcr audio out to receiver tape 1 in [gets the audio to the receiver in stereo]

Playback vcr video out to record vcr video in. [video from playback vcr to record vcr]

Receiver tape2/monitor audio out to record vcr audio in.
[receiver switches the audio and sends it to record vcr connected to the tape2/monitor out]

Record vcr video out to tv - you will have to use a video switchbox to hook up both the vcr and dvd to the tv. A Y-connector would probably work but there will be some signal degradation and you should avoid having the dvd and vcr playing simultaneously.

I haven't use a tape monitor loop in awhile, but typically you have to select tape1 so it is the source, then press the tape2/monitor so that you are 'monitoring' what is being sent from the source. Note that even when you are not recording, you will have to have both vcrs on and the tape2/monitor selected to view output from the playback vcr. This setup is not very elegant but I believe it will work.

There is no way to dub faster than real-time (ie as you watch it) unless your vcr specifically has that capability.
Awesome! Tyhanks for the response. "Video switchbox" eh? Best places to buy? I would probably just go to Radio Shack. Maybe I'll run a search on the net/ebay/yahoo etc. I deas on what to pay for one if somebody has one used .. or even to guage a good deal on new? Actually, I think I MAY have an old "switchbox" that I used to use when I was very you and played my Atari on a OLD tv ... lol . It's so old I think I may have thrown it away ... but I'll look around.

Thanks again. Regards. -Brian

U

Unregistered

Please Help Asap!

Hey PPL!

I REALLY NEED to copy these tapes! I'm having some issues with even the simplest recording.

Refer above for the equiptment I am using.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a standard "cable" (not rca ... the screw type with needle type pin in the center) that connects my vcr to my tv and seems to transfer video by iteself.

Setups:

1) I don't think I need that Y connector or switch or anything to be able to view and record simultaneously. When I set up AUIDO L/R and VIDEO OUT from playback vcr to IN for record vcr .... I realized I should be able to connect VIDEO and L AUDIO OUT to my TV INPUTS. This should work perfectly to allowme to record from VCR to VCR and watch the video .. no?

2) Even without the rca cables connecting VIDEO AND AUDIO L OUT from RECORD VCR to IN of TV .... just the standard CABLE (not rca ... the screw type with needle type pin in the center) that connects PLAY VCR to TV transfers VIDEO on it's own .... so I should be able to just connect PLAY VCR AUIDIO/VIDEO OUT to RECORD VCR IN and have standard cable send VIDEO from PLAY VCR to TV and still be able to watch the VIDEO n TV while RECORDING from VCR TO VCR.

3) I try "1)" and "2)" connections without he standard cable (not rca ... the screw type with needle type pin in the center) connecting the PLAY VCR to TV.

4) I try "1)" and "2)" connections without RCA cables connecting RECORD VCR AUDIO/VIDEO OUT to TV IN.

5) I try "1)" and "2)" connections without RCA connecting RECORD VCR AUDIO/VIDEO OUT to TV IN ... AND ... without he standard cable (not rca ... the screw type with needle type pin in the center) connecting the PLAY VCR to TV.

*** I am failing by all counts to record successfully !!! ***

A)
I used setup "1)" with RECORD VCR selected as "VCR" (RECORD VCR has it's own TV/VCR selection button). Didn't work. I push play on PLAY VCR .. and I see it on the TV PLAYING ... and I push RECORD ON RECORD VCR and it seems to be recording because the "Hi-Fi" indicator light coms on the display screen of the PLAY VCR. I stop both tapes and put the RECORD TAP in PLAY VCR and try to PLAY to see if it recorded. I get a blue screen only. I observe the for the "Hi-Fi" light indicator on the playback VCR. It comes on for the same period of time that I RECORDED on to the RECORD tape ... previously ... but it shows no audio and plays no video ... like it never did record.

B)
I used setup "1)" with RECORD VCR selected as "TV" (RECORD VCR has it's own TV/VCR selection button). Didn't work. I push play on PLAY VCR .. and I see it on the TV PLAYING ... and I push RECORD ON RECORD VCR and it seems to be recording because the "Hi-Fi" indicator light coms on the display screen of the PLAY VCR. I stop both tapes and put the RECORD TAP in PLAY VCR and try to PLAY to see if it recorded. I get a blue screen only. I observe the for the "Hi-Fi" light indicator on the playback VCR. It comes on for the same period of time that I RECORDED on to the RECORD tape ... previously ... but it shows no audio and plays no video ... like it never did record.

C)
I used setup "2)" with RECORD VCR selected as "VCR" (RECORD VCR has it's own TV/VCR selection button). Didn't work. I push play on PLAY VCR .. and I see it on the TV PLAYING ... and I push RECORD ON RECORD VCR and it seems to be recording because the "Hi-Fi" indicator light coms on the display screen of the PLAY VCR. I stop both tapes and put the RECORD TAP in PLAY VCR and try to PLAY to see if it recorded. I get a blue screen only. I observe the for the "Hi-Fi" light indicator on the playback VCR. It comes on for the same period of time that I RECORDED on to the RECORD tape ... previously ... but it shows no audio and plays no video ... like it never did record.

D)
I used setup "2)" with RECORD VCR selected as "TV" (RECORD VCR has it's own TV/VCR selection button). Didn't work. I push play on PLAY VCR .. and I see it on the TV PLAYING ... and I push RECORD ON RECORD VCR and it seems to be recording because the "Hi-Fi" indicator light coms on the display screen of the PLAY VCR. I stop both tapes and put the RECORD TAP in PLAY VCR and try to PLAY to see if it recorded. I get a blue screen only. I observe the for the "Hi-Fi" light indicator on the playback VCR. It comes on for the same period of time that I RECORDED on to the RECORD tape ... previously ... but it shows no audio and plays no video ... like it never did record.

E) Same results with setups "3)" "4)" "5)" ... trying each setup twice ... with ony difference being 1st time the RECORD VCR is as "VCR" and 2nd time RECOD VCR is as "TV".

BUMMER!! I really NEED TO COPY!!

*** TV is on channel 3 with digital display. Both VCRs are on channel 3 with digital display. Both VCRs have a switch on the back for channels 3 and 4 as well and both switches are on 3.***

HELP!!! PLEASE!!! Thanks in advance!!! -Brian

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Got lost reading all that went before so I'll start fresh.

First off, the TV has no bearing on this. You need to connect the two VCR's directly.

From the vcr PLAYING the tapes, take the video OUT (yellow RCA plug) and connect it to the video IN on the vcr RECORDING the tapes.

Do the same thing with the the audio OUT (white RCA plugs).

Now, find the switch, button or whatever it takes to select this input mode on the VCR doing the recording. Unless you do this, you're recording from whatever is coming in the antenna input.

Once this is done, press "play" on the player and "record" on the recorder.

If you want to get fancy, you can hook up the TV to the VCR doing the recording to see what's coming into it.

U

Unregistered

I appreciate your attempt at helping ... but it it seems that you did not read my posts carefully. I understand they were a bit lengthy ... but they are very rganized ... and they ony take ~60seconds max to read.

The only thing you told me that nobody had sujested before was:

Now, find the switch, button or whatever it takes to select this input mode on the VCR doing the recording. Unless you do this, you're recording from whatever is coming in the antenna input.
There is no switch to accpet/recognize the INPUT on either VCR. I am pretty sure they accept/recognize upon plug-in.

The only other switch or buttons I have are mentioned above.

On the back of each VCR there is a switch for channel 3 or channel 4. I have both VCRs switch on channels 3.

Recording VCR has a button in front .. by the digital display that is labelled "TV/VCR". I have tried to record in both modes. Not working. Thre must be one small step I am missing here.

Please take the short time to read my previous posts entirely and help me out. I really need to copy this stuff asap. May be "in deep trouble" if I do not.

Is it possible that the tapes I am recording are not recordable? I doubt it, but firgured I'd ask.

Please help now!

Thanks so much. -Brian

U

Unregistered

Same Brian?

Are you the same Brian that asked about using the receiver to record? If so, then you seem to have disregarded all that. The Video switch was only necessary to hook up both vcr and dvd player to a single input on the tv and has nothing to do with recording.

Yes your post was very long and only takes 60 seconds to read, but it takes hours to map out what you've done and see what's going on. Nobody is OBLIGATED to help you, so telling people to JUST HELP NOW doesn't cut it. Besides, all the info you need is in the other posts. I for one have laid out all the possibilities. It is very difficult to describe how to hook up antiquated equipment to someone that doesn't really know what they have or understand the basics about how the signal travels. This is way too complicated to fully explain in a forum post.

You keep mentioning "the screw type with needle type in in the center". That is the coax cable (antenna as markw said) and the connector is known as an F-connector. If the playback vcr does not have rca audio (red/white) and composite video (yellow) OUTs, then the video can only get to the tv or recording vcr over that cable. For these very old vcrs, you have to change the channel on the vcr to tell it to use the signal coming from the rca inputs (because there is no line-in setting).

Have you considered reading your manuals?

Best advice: Go to the store and buy a $50 vcr that has the correct inputs and outputs and DOES allow you to press a button and select 'line-in', then re-read all the posts above.

M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
Brian,

The above posts have told you all you need to know in order to connect 2 vcr's to each other and dub your tapes.
It sounds like you don't understand electronics at all, and better have a friend come over and do it for you. I know you private mailed me, but I can't say it any plainer than above. I am assuming that your VCR's have "Screw Connections with a needle in the center" otherwise known as coaxial cable or coax for short, and the connector is called an F-connector. Connect the "cable out" coax connection of the first VCR to the "Cable in" coax connection of the second VCR. Then Connect the "cable out" coax connection of the second VCR to the coax connection on the tv. Make sure the tv is on channel 3 or 4, whichever one the VCR's use, and push play on the first VCR, and record on the second VCR, and you should be able to see on the TV, what the second VCR is recording. If there is a "TV/VCR" button on the remote of the 2nd VCR, make sure it is on VCR. That way you see the feed from the VCR.

Anyways, good luck.

Mark

PS: Chill out, and don't demand help. You will get more of it by being less obnoxious.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
IMNSHO, everyone has been more than accomodating.

Why should anyone try to visualize your frankenstein setup when I (and others) were able to describe in a few simple, coherent sentences the setup you need to do what you want.

IOW, you chose to overcomplicate matters yourself. If you choose to do whatever it is you wish and ignore the directions supplied, then the onus is on you. Look inwards for your problems. That's where they originated.

Then again, prehaps some local friends could help you out?

P.S. Home made tapes are not copy protected.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I get it now. Everyone else is wrong and you know exactly how to do it, just testing everyone else. But you haven't succeeded have you?

You asked questions, people gave you all the various options. You decided, no I don't need that. I'll do it my way, it SHOULD work. The manuals are not necessary...hmmm. Maybe its time to call in Dad and let him do it for you.

N

nigeljkuk

Audiophyte
copying tapes

:) hi shelley , Its easy to copy vhs tapes simple but difficult I know if youve never done it before maybe I can help, I presume you are just trying to copy unprotected vhs tapes by unprotected not commercial recorded tapes, I will deal with both for you, family tapes ie unprotected , a simple scart lead or whatever rca phono lead to connect the two vcrs together, First you need to connect up the vcr that you are going to use to playback your tape no 2 vcr The one you are going to copy to is the one connected to your tv or monitor , You connect a scart/phono lead from the socket on the back of the vcr2 the other end of your lead plugs in either the other socket on the back of vcr1 , you can on some vcrs plug into the three sockets which are phono type usually under a flap on the front of the vcr, When you have linked the vcrs , you put a blank tape in vcr 1 the one you want to copy into vcr2 You switch on your tv to your video channel or av1 on your tv , you select av input on vcr1, start the tape playing in vcr2 you should get a picture on the screen this way you can monitor what you are copying, Copying commercial tapes needs a box called a timebase corrector or stabiliser , basically put commercial vhs tapes carry a spoiler signal to prevent copying ie MACROVISION you cannot copy vhs tapes that are commercial without removing the latter , however you cannot legally use them now , stores have stopped selling them , but you can probably get them somewhere if thats what you want to do not that I condone such actions hope that helps

V

videouser

Audiophyte
thanks

instructions worked fine for me.
I started at the top of this thread and worked my way down.
thanks for all the views.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis