How to develop "golden ears"

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
For a minute there, I thought you were cheating on us.:D
I don't know if I'll be able to trust him again.

First with the secrets ... what's the song's name, Jamie? Just tell me it's NAME! :D

Then the back peddling, trying to cover for your slip ups. You're the one who said 'other sites', Jamie. :eek:

(note): I tried to find a nice image of a forum slut but no luck. :)

G

Gohanto

Enthusiast
All this talk about having Golden Ears and no one's even mentioned the Golden Ears Audio Training disks?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Oh! Oh! I figured out how to get golden ears!

Wear gold earrings!

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I usually chug a bottle of Nyquil prior to listening to new selections.

Mark

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
When I hear of someone who claims to have "golden ears", I immediately think of those who imagine that their ears are more capable than test equipment and actual measurements, but who absolutely refuse to put their supposed abilities to an actual test, in which they cannot see what it is that they are hearing, using their eyes to distinguish between things, all the while yelling, "trust your ears"! Frankly, there are too many people who make all sorts of claims, but never back them up with anything like evidence. It is much easier to pontificate than to demonstrate, and most will take the easier course.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use to wonder how blind people could read the brail in an elevator. It all felt like bumps to me. Then I saw a show on Discovery or something that talked about the part of a blind brail reading persons brain that is responsible for or active during that whole identifying what is being touched thing. Long story short is that that part is the size of a pinky. In us about 1/4 of it is active. In blind people the whole thing lights up on one of those heat imaging things.

Don't quote me on any of that. :)
No worries there, right? :D

So doesn't it stand to reason that if you spend a lot of time paying attention to what you hear that you will somehow get better at identifying what you hear with respect to quality and characteristics. We have all heard of test subjects referred to as 'trained listeners'. I think my hearing has become more discerning over the last couple of years and I certainly notice things other people don't. But then again maybe that's because most people just don't care what they are listening to, never mind what you are 'hearing'.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I use to wonder how blind people could read the brail in an elevator. It all felt like bumps to me. Then I saw a show on Discovery or something that talked about the part of a blind brail reading persons brain that is responsible for or active during that whole identifying what is being touched thing. Long story short is that that part is the size of a pinky. In us about 1/4 of it is active. In blind people the whole thing lights up on one of those heat imaging things.

Don't quote me on any of that. :)
No worries there, right? :D

So doesn't it stand to reason that if you spend a lot of time paying attention to what you hear that you will somehow get better at identifying what you hear with respect to quality and characteristics. We have all heard of test subjects referred to as 'trained listeners'. I think my hearing has become more discerning over the last couple of years and I certainly notice things other people don't. But then again maybe that's because most people just don't care what they are listening to, never mind what you are 'hearing'.
Often, people can get better at tasks with proper training. However, to know that one is better, the matter must be put to a proper test. Assuming that one's efforts have paid off without ever verifying it is risky, at best.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hearing is basically just observation but as we all know, many people are not observant at all. They hear things, but they don't listen. Listening is something that takes concentration and active participation. Listening casually isn't any more than hearing. Actually listening will reveal details that someone who notices sounds but can't pick out any fine points, will miss. Hearing is to listening as someone noticing that something poked them is to feeling what poked them, how hard, how many times and who did it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis