How to connect Techcnics AV system with Plasma TV ?

C

cadena

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I have a LG PT85 TV and a Technics SE-CA10 audio system (see manuals links attached). I am trying to see how to connect the TV to the audio system but as you can see in pg. 7 of LG manual, the only port for Audio OUT is for an optical cable as further explained in pg. 22-23 of LG manual. However, in the External Units connection in pg. 8 of Technics Manual, there is no port for an optical cable IN. Therefore can someone help me out in which way/s I can connect my TV to my audio system if any ? I would really appreciate your help.

LG TV Manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PVqWO_j3c7bpUH_RveYl9MQyGb_RVq33/view?usp=sharing

Technics Audio System Manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GHdJAK1duKEyH84fygWQZJdKnvZQGJY-/view?usp=sharing

P.D. Is my system a 5.1 home cinema since it has 5 speakers ? And if so is there a way for my TV to make use of this feature ?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Hello and welcome. Try a digital to analog converter such as this one.
DA2E8CAC-E097-4339-A033-E7CBA553B83F.jpeg
38169A77-FBCB-4B4E-8380-DA9A82C06C9E.jpeg
BDF9F055-7262-4ED1-AE6D-D76E92D4DC89.jpeg

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The Technics manual shows that there is an optical out on your CD player, but you are correct in that I don't see an optical input listed. The converters that Treb listed above will be the only way to get sound to it if you don't have an optical input. They will however only get you a stereo signal. So while your system has 5 speakers, it will not be true surround sound because you can only supply it a stereo signal.

If you want a true 5.1 home theater system it is time for an upgrade from that Technics unit. There have been many many advances and improvements since that unit was made.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is why we generally don't recommend the HTIB type "systems".....they're just not very good at being flexible components generally.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Technics manual shows that there is an optical out on your CD player, but you are correct in that I don't see an optical input listed. The converters that Treb listed above will be the only way to get sound to it if you don't have an optical input. They will however only get you a stereo signal. So while your system has 5 speakers, it will not be true surround sound because you can only supply it a stereo signal.

If you want a true 5.1 home theater system it is time for an upgrade from that Technics unit. There have been many many advances and improvements since that unit was made.
All of the inputs on that amp are analogue stereo, so the OP is not getting any discreet 5 channels anyway. It's just simulated surround via Dolby Pro Logic. Best option besides replacing everything is the optical to RCA converter as suggested.

C

cadena

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, I would like to thank you for your replies. If I can't get surround sound then I will have to think about it. I was interested in getting the whole experience. Nonetheless, I might take it into account in the future if I want to use the R/L speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, we work with what we have at the moment. Do not count yourself out. Use an adapter. It will send an analog two channel signal to the Technics and it will use Pro Logic to get sound to all of the speakers. Remember, Dolby AC-3, now called Dolby Digital did not come around until the early 90's. There were no discreet 5.1 tracks in the consumer market and everybody was using Pro Logic to get "surround" sound. So, get an adapter, enjoy the Technics and save up for more current gear.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely you can still have surround sound, it will just be the product of upmixing/matrixing from 2ch....but can still be enjoyable for both music and movies....

ps Would suggest running it first by the forum if you decide to do some upgrading....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis