How to connect a 4k device split???

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
This may be confusing or not IDK.

In a nutshell I finally got my PS5. So, it and my TV do 4k however my AVR does not do 4k. I believe the ARC channel will send audio but im trying to wrap my head around connections..

First off. I have a Vizio PX-65-g1 which has one ARC channel HDMI. My AVR is currently an Emotiva 8100 Fusion (for now).

How do I do this to get surround and 4k? Is it possible?

I'm thinking I could connect my PS5 directly to the TV's ARC channel (which I think is HDMI1) this should give me the 4k part and I think the audio would be sent optical from the TV to the AVR, right????? Then its all down to settings within the AVR/TV/PS5?

Currently I believe I have my AVR HDMI out going to the ARC in on the TV and everything connected to my AVR (nothing is 4k, till today) Hope someone can clarify or guide. Yes I do plan on updating my AVR at some point, hopefully soon. Waiting on Denon to release their updated version to make a judgment call but I digress.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Keep AVR connected to ARC port on TV and PS5 to another port on TV. Turn on HDMI Control and ARC in both TV and AVR. All audio from TV will be sent to AVR, including audio from devices connected directly to the TV.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Keep AVR connected to ARC port on TV and PS5 to another port on TV. Turn on HDMI Control and ARC in both TV and AVR. All audio from TV will be sent to AVR, including audio from devices connected directly to the TV.
Ahhh, Awesome, So it doesnt matter that the other HDMI ports aren't technically ARC channels then. Sweet! thank you

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you have issues, check the sound output settings in the TV. While eARC supports lossless audio, ARC does not, so no Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio from PS5 will make it’s way to the AVR. You can pass Dolby Digital Plus with atmos over ARC depending on the app and AVR. The ARC(Audio Return Channel) port is the only one used to get sound back to receiver from TV. Sometimes HDMI Control and ARC get messy. If so, turn them off and connect optical cable from TV to AVR. Sound from devices connected directly to the TV will still be sent to the AVR but will be limited to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
If you have issues, check the sound output settings in the TV. While eARC supports lossless audio, ARC does not, so no Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio from PS5 will make it’s way to the AVR. You can pass Dolby Digital Plus with atmos over ARC depending on the app and AVR. The ARC(Audio Return Channel) port is the only one used to get sound back to receiver from TV. Sometimes HDMI Control and ARC get messy. If so, turn them off and connect optical cable from TV to AVR. Sound from devices connected directly to the TV will still be sent to the AVR but will be limited to Dolby Digital 5.1.
That's perfect, and again this is mainly temporary as I do plan on replacing my AVR soon, Well my next yearish.

Thanks again, you have been of great help.

D

Danielcharles

Audiophyte
Hi,
If you have a 4K display and a 1080p display you may want to hook up one device that displays on both. ... The echo split solves this problem by sending each display the highest quality signal they can receive.

Thanks
Daniel Charles

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Got it, thanks guys. Had to add lipsync to the optical but got it to work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Got it, thanks guys. Had to add lipsync to the optical but got it to work.
You should not be using optical if you are using ARC. It is fine to use optical, but you've missed doing exactly what you asked about doing.

ARC is a HDMI specific connection that allows audio to be returned from the TV to the receiver. Audio RETURN Channel. So, audio would flow out of the TV over the HDMI cable, back to you AVR. One HDMI cable, no optical cable, the optical cable should not be needed if you are using HDMI ARC.

Page 11 of the manual indicates that the receiver supports ARC.
PS5 HDMI OUT --> TV INPUT (not the ARC connection)
RECEIVER HDMI OUT --> TV ARC HDMI INPUT

That's it for connections and audio should pass from the TV to the Emotiva over the HDMI connection.

You could also just use the optical output of the PS5 directly to your Emotiva which bypasses the TV completely for audio.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
ARC requires HDMI-CEC to be on and can be finicky. There is no optical output on the PS5. So, if somebody was tired of the hassle of ARC, they could connect an optical cable to the receiver from the TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis