How to Conceal Home Theater Speakers?

Natosha Jacobs

Natosha Jacobs

Audiophyte
We have three small speakers mounted high up on the wall in our living room. I'm certain I can hide at least one of them behind a hanging or sconce planter, but I'd love to read what others have done. Also, we have a small box speaker, about 12" cubed, that simply sits on the floor. Any ideas for hiding that? Our decor could be a mix of post-Victorian, traditional, country, etc.

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
I would recommend against putting anything in front of your speakers or putting them into anything as it will muffle and make the sound worse. Also, I am not sure if the three small speakers are your LRC. If so, they should be lowered to seated ear level.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In wall is really the way most conceal speakers. I didn't need to have mine concealed, but I didn't want the footprint in my room. It sounds great, but it would sound better had I gone with cabinet speakers.

If seeing speakers is an issue, then in-wall and in-ceiling are the way to go.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fully concealed won't be too popular around here as that would interfere with the acoustics....heck, hurts just to think about in-wall speakers let alone putting some goofy decoration in front of them! Plus many (most?) of us are guys who have great big box speakers out in the room.

That small box sounds like a very small subwoofer, and there are in-wall solutions for subwoofers but could get expensive. The sub can be placed in a variety of ways and that doesn't affect its performance as much as a speaker in some ways. You could easily put it behind a couch or under a table....but throwing the box into a cubby hole not so much. You may not care, tho.

ps Welcome to the forum and hope we can still be of help, sorry if I'm a bit brusque but performance trumps decoration for me :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We have three small speakers mounted high up on the wall in our living room. I'm certain I can hide at least one of them behind a hanging or sconce planter, but I'd love to read what others have done. Also, we have a small box speaker, about 12" cubed, that simply sits on the floor. Any ideas for hiding that? Our decor could be a mix of post-Victorian, traditional, country, etc.
Unfortunately commercial audio systems have little to offer in terms of high quality performance without doing architectural violence.

So in architecturally sensitive spaces the only way forward is custom design I'm afraid. I grew up in a Queen Anne vicarage in the village of Frindsbury near Rochester Kent. This is a grade two listed building that our family only sold a year ago.

Anyhow getting a sound system in the living room that was unobtrusive was a challenge. It involved antique corner cabinets wall mounted. Taking doors off and making them into China display cabinets, and building large ported speakers underneath and using the antique door to cover the speaker when not in use. So when the system was not in use there was no way the system could have been spotted.

Various challenges presented themselves during my early years.

The trick is to use form and function, and make even very large speakers fit into their environment. Hanging small box speakers up high will always actually look very, very silly and give very poor performance as well.

So pictures of your room would be very helpful, so that I'm able to make suggestions.

So in the end the AV system becomes an integral part of the total architectural design. You will not find inspiration at Best Buy, or any other retailer come to that.

So by all means post pictures and I will see what potential options there are.

This is what can be done.

Good AV systems give enormous pleasure, and poor ones not very much. So they are worth taking trouble over.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You guys, especially Mark, are so clueless I'm in awe.

Natosha, I'll admit it, I don't even know what post-Victorian is. Asking your question in this forum is like asking for a great beef stew recipe on a vegan cooking site.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis