How to clean out dusty plasma ?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s heavy an a pain to move , we’re it’s sitting right now I can’t clean it. At some point I will move it to clean ..but it seems like a huge task . :(
no I’m to broke can’t carry it or pay someone to clean it gotta use-whatever I have.
CAE139E8-9733-4C09-A187-CEE5BB63D6E6.jpeg
67FEFC96-0B0A-4DF5-B233-00A44ADF198F.jpeg
25548186-AD63-491A-8FC4-8DBD2103616D.jpeg

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use a shop vac on mine periodically. It’s wall mounted and roughly a hundred pounds iirc. I just have an assistant helps me pop it off the wall and lay it on the couch. Sometimes I used compressed air to help push the dust to the shop vac hose, but mostly just the vacuum pulls out what’s necessary to clear the vents.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
While we had our plasma (wall mounted with a fixed Sanus mount), it was a pain to clean. I also just used a shop vac to reach behind it (about 3 inch clearance away from the wall). It was also heavy (110 lbs), and we never removed it once it was installed.

For our new TV, we have a full motion Sanus mount so we can now pull away from the wall about 20 inches or so; that will come in very handy when wanting to clean, access ports, etc. Though it doesn't have the large vents on top like the plasma did (mini LED doesn't generate anywhere near the heat), so will be much easier to keep clean.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I use a shop vac on mine periodically. It’s wall mounted and roughly a hundred pounds iirc. I just have an assistant helps me pop it off the wall and lay it on the couch. Sometimes I used compressed air to help push the dust to the shop vac hose, but mostly just the vacuum pulls out what’s necessary to clear the vents.
So I won’t have to take the back panel off to vacuum , I may try light Dyson first before carrying the heavy shop vac upstairs! If I can find shop vac haven’t seen it in months.
no wonder discontinued so freakin heavy as much almost as my other 2 lcd TVs combined weight .

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
To give it a thorough cleaning, you will want to lay it down on it's face, on a bed or similar, unplugged. I realize this is not something you may be able to do on your own, but enlist a friend or neighbor for the two minutes it takes to move it off of wherever it is to do so. Then ask them to help you set it back where it was when you are done.

If a vacuum doesn't get it deep cleaned enough, and judging by the amount of junk in it, it likely won't, then you really want to pop the back panel off the TV. A dozen or so screws is all it takes. This should give you clear access to blow out dust and to fully vacuum and clean everything properly.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
To give it a thorough cleaning, you will want to lay it down on it's face, on a bed or similar, unplugged. I realize this is not something you may be able to do on your own, but enlist a friend or neighbor for the two minutes it takes to move it off of wherever it is to do so. Then ask them to help you set it back where it was when you are done.

If a vacuum doesn't get it deep cleaned enough, and judging by the amount of junk in it, it likely won't, then you really want to pop the back panel off the TV. A dozen or so screws is all it takes. This should give you clear access to blow out dust and to fully vacuum and clean everything properly.
I took tv apart got it this clean, now I can’t get all the screws back were they belong … they were so covered I had to use a toothbrush to clean the fans and mists of water on the brush . Got 96% of the dust i think. :D
47C57D07-B3FD-4CC3-BA95-CA7CE3E9FFD4.jpeg
60ADBD18-2500-44ED-B219-F4C987B405F4.jpeg
3A36E340-F923-4CB1-8374-B0B7AC171F79.jpeg

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Generally you want to use alcohol and q-tips for this type of cleaning work. That's some pretty gunked up stuff right there.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
What a mess, best way to lean that TV is with a new TV, or a professional to do it right..
Just think you might be able to clean items that are facing you but the other side of those items are just as nasty.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Generally you want to use alcohol and q-tips for this type of cleaning work. That's some pretty gunked up stuff right there. Before pics
Didn’t think about alcohol i should had waited longer to clean it.
What a mess, best way to lean that TV is with a new TV, or a professional to do it right..
Just think you might be able to clean items that are facing you but the other side of those items are just as nasty.
how long do you Think it will run in that condition it was running with them full of dust a few years ago and never burned out.
I’d have take the back off again to clean it 100% and I can’t get to the front of the fans . Probably 90-92% or more of the gunk was removed the camera flash just made it loook worse. Before pics
C46B1474-D5A9-4AB3-BC12-8AA00FFD30AE.jpeg
68E83E2E-B2BF-4B7C-962D-57137C4B525E.jpeg

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Didn’t think about alcohol i should had waited longer to clean it.

how long do you Think it will run in that condition it was running with them full of dust a few years ago and never burned out.
I’d have take the back off again to clean it 100% and I can’t get to the front of the fans . Probably 90-92% or more of the gunk was removed the camera flash just made it loook worse. Before picsView attachment 60322View attachment 60323
When is the last time you cleaned your TV ?, that's a lot of dust even for a year. I would also recommend changing your AC/heater filter in your home if there is one. Dust acts like an insulating blanket, preventing the necessary convention cooling and that can decrease the life span of the electronics. It might not burn out your fans, but jus think if the impact to the other components. Based on the TV, just think of the amount of dust in your AVR and other equipment, not to mention your lungs. Maybe 4 times a year , clean the equipment.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
When is the last time you cleaned your TV ?, that's a lot of dust even for a year. I would also recommend changing your AC/heater filter in your home if there is one. Dust acts like an insulating blanket, preventing the necessary convention cooling and that can decrease the life span of the electronics. It might not burn out your fans, but jus think if the impact to the other components. Based on the TV, just think of the amount of dust in your AVR and other equipment, not to mention your lungs. Maybe 4 times a year , clean the equipment.
I just cleaned it look at post 6 that’s post clean ,#9 prior to cleaning.
I got it used I’m not sure we’re it was stored if goodwills that dusty I’m worried for there employee imo. A tv this old shouldn’t had been so caked with dust it was incredible, besides my dads first ps3 that died from dust I’ve never seen anything this bad in my house.
Yeah they won’t get the hvac cleaned even if it needs it, but my regular TVs and stuff never get as dusty as this tv. Laptop yes but it died from power input failure , the coolmatt sucked all the dust in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis