How to avoid popping sound when listening to streaming music?

B

baba.opensource

Audiophyte
Hello,

I notice popping sounds specially when I listen at higher volumns. Although I don't know how to troubleshoot the issue I suspect it is from my computer. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to troubleshoot and perhaps avoid the problem.

* I listen to streaming service called Idagio.
* I have hooked up my computer to my integerated ampilifier via optical cable
* My amp (hegel h190) has a relatively decent dac so I just rely on that for the digital to analog translation
* Sometimes I notice popping noise (or short-fizzy noise), specially when I am playing at higher volume.

My computer does not have a dedicated sound card, and I wonder if the popping noise I hear is due to some electrical interference.

I believed (probably incorrectly) that after switching to an optical cable I wouldn't hear these popping noises anymore.

I was thinking of investing in a soundcard, but I am not sure how a soundcard would be able to shield against these noises.

For what is worth, I tried using chromecast for a while but that was really buggy. It would stop playing, or go out of synch with the mobile-app, etc. There is a standalone device (node) but I don't want to spend 600 for a streaming device.

Anyway, if you have any input or experience in this matter, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis