How should I connect my subwoofer?

G

gnagel

Junior Audioholic
I am making some changes to my home theatre system and I would like to make sure that my subwoofer is properly connected. As I am new to this, I am finding the B&W manual very difficult to understand. I would appreciate any assistance that you could provide.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V795. The receiver has a "Subwoofer Output"--which I am currently using. It looks like this:

My subwoofer is a B&W ASW1000---a powered subwoofer. I don't know if this image will be clear enough, but the connections look like this:

Finally, I also have the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro Speakers.

Currently, my system is set up as follows:

The Gallo main speakers are first connected to a Gallo subwoofer. The Gallo subwoofer is then connected to the main speaker terminals on my receiver. I have the B&W powered subwoofer connected to my receiver (from the Subwoofer terminal on the receiver to the "Line Level" line in L/R terminals on the subwoofer.

What I am attempting to do is to remove the Gallo subwoofer from the system. The number of cables is cumbersome and I am not sure that the Gallo subwoofer is really adding any value. I would like to connect the Gallo main speakers connected directly to my receiver. I also wish to use these speakers for both stereo and home theatre listening.

What is the optimal connection for my powered subwoofer? Should I keep it connected the way I have it now (i.e., Receiver's "Subwoofer" to "Line In" on Subwoofer)?

The Gallo speaker manual says that for stereo playback, "connect your satellites to our subwoofer or another brand which allows for high level inputs and outputs. You must also be able to adjust the crossover to only allow frequencies of 80hz and above to go to the Micros (preferably 100 or 120hz and higher)."

It goes on to say that for home theatre use there is an option to "connect five satellites directly to the receiver and set all channels to the small enclosure setting. Connect a powered subwoofer directly to the special subwoofer output on the receiver, usually called LFE."

If I go with Gallo's home theatre connection option, will that also be effective for listening to stereo playback?

If I connect the powered sub to the LFE on the receiver, can I adjust the crossover on the subwoofer? The subwoofer has a "Low Pass" knob which I've adjusted to 120hz. But, will the receiver process this information given that I am not using any "line out" on the sub? Or, does the LFE connection take care of that communication between the sub and the receiver?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hopefully, this post makes some sense. At least it's posted under the Beginners category.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Connect all your sattelite speakers directly to your reciever, connect the sub to the number 2 spot [subwoofer out] on your reciever, then connect to the back of the sub to what also looks like the number 2 [line level in] spot on your diagram.

Turn the low pass knob all the way up [to the right] on the sub. In the recievers menu you should be able to set all speakers to small, do that. Now I'm not familiar with your reciever but you should be able to select the crossover frequency, ie 60Hz, 80Hz, 120 etc. I would try the 120Hz setting and make sure the sub says "Yes" or "LFE" in the menu. I would start with the subs volume knob at about the 11o'clock position and adjust from there.

If all else fails read the recievers manual.

Good Luck.

G

gnagel

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your response.

Connect all your sattelite speakers directly to your reciever, connect the sub to the number 2 spot [subwoofer out] on your reciever, then connect to the back of the sub to what also looks like the number 2 [line level in] spot on your diagram.
OK. I think I have that part properly connected. I have a cable running from the "Subwoofer Out" on the receiver to the "Line Level In" on the diagram.

Turn the low pass knob all the way up [to the right] on the sub. In the recievers menu you should be able to set all speakers to small, do that.
OK...no problems there.

Now I'm not familiar with your reciever but you should be able to select the crossover frequency, ie 60Hz, 80Hz, 120 etc. I would try the 120Hz setting and make sure the sub says "Yes" or "LFE" in the menu. I would start with the subs volume knob at about the 11o'clock position and adjust from there.
Perhaps this isn't possible with my receiver. The manual states that when the main speakers are set the SMALL, low bass signals (below 90hz) are output from the subwoofer terminals.

The manual further states that "low frequencies diestributed from the main, center and/or rear channels are output from the subwoofer terminal. The cut-off frequency of this terminal is 90hz). Signals of LFE generated when Dolby Digital or DTS is decoded are also output if they are assigned to this terminal."

I do have an option to adjust the output level going to the subwoofer (dB).

Will this set-up be as effective as using my Gallo subwoofer? The main speakers are first connected to my Gallo subwoofer and then connected to the main speaker terminals on my receiver. Does this integration of the subwoofer with the speakers help manage the crossover frequency better? Or, should I be connecting my subwoofer to the receiver some other way?

Thanks!

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Then what you have is a fixed crossover setting of 90Hz on your receiver which means everything below that is routed to the sub and every thing above to the satellites. I looked up your speakers and it says the frequency response is 80Hz to 18khz so your kind of right on the bubble with the crossover at 90Hz. If it sounds good, leave it.

If not, the only other thing you can do, [other than getting new equipment] is to disconnect the sub cable from the sub output on the receiver to the line in on the sub, you won't need this anymore. Then connect the speaker outs on the receiver to the speaker inputs on the sub and connect the satellites to the other speaker outputs on the sub and use the subs crossover knob to determine the best crossover.

G

gnagel

Junior Audioholic
droeses58 said:
I looked up your speakers and it says the frequency response is 80Hz to 18khz so your kind of right on the bubble with the crossover at 90Hz. If it sounds good, leave it.

If not, the only other thing you can do, [other than getting new equipment] is to disconnect the sub cable from the sub output on the receiver to the line in on the sub, you won't need this anymore. Then connect the speaker outs on the receiver to the speaker inputs on the sub and connect the satellites to the other speaker outputs on the sub and use the subs crossover knob to determine the best crossover.
Thanks for your help.

The specifications for my speakers on the Gallo website indicate a frequency response of 120Hz to 18KHz (on stand).

http://www.roundsound.com/nucleus-micro-speakers.htm

Although I think it sounds good for now, I'm concerned that it might sound better with a more appropriate subwoofer crossover. (EDIT: To test this, I'll try connecting it the way you suggested---with the satellites to the subwoofer.)

I'm considering upgrading my receiver in the near future. I've noticed that the receivers I'm considering all have adjustable crossover levels. Additionally, some have automatic system calibrations--which might help me out.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis