How Nuts Do You Get Cleaning Your PS3

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Gang, I ask this ? because my wife said something to me today about how crazy I get about cleaning my PS3, a little background for ya I own a 40GB PS3 installed a 500GB HDD and Linux YDL 6.1 on it. My cleaning habits I don't think are that bad, once a week I blow out all the vents and do light cleaning every 3 months I crack it open to blow out any dust off the fan and motherboard. I had to change the thermal paste after 3yrs of use. My wife claims there is nobody else like me out there I beg to differ,so please post how nuts you are about cleaning your PS3 so that my wife can see I'm not the only one. Thank You.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Well that's +1 for the wife I tell you this it's going to be hard to get me into that padded room.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How much dust actually gets inside there? Yettitheman is one of the most obsessive people about his equipment and I don't believe he's ever gone as far as to take apart his PS3. You may indeed be one of the few.:cool:

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
It would depend how much you play or watch movies or both in my case, now I didn't open the case until after the warranty expired,so there was a lot dust the first time I opened it.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Is there anybody out there who has cleaned the PS3 to this extent or am I the only one.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like you are it. I use compressed air to blow out the vents (and a fair amount of dust does get in there), but even though mine was out of warranty, I won't crack it open.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Had no choice the thing was running hot so the fan was always on high, cracked it open and found out that sony uses cheap thermal paste.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry dude, but it does seem that you are nuts.

If it makes you feel any better, I have wanted to open mine also, but I'm too chicken. The most I have done is to put the vacuum hose up to the vents to suck the dust out. But I've only done that once in the whole time I've owned it.

You know you could kill 2 birds with one stone by posting up a tutorial video on how to open the PS 3 and clean it. That way you can appease your cleaning obsession and help out the rest of us that are too scared to open it up.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I could post a video but if google how to change thermal paste on ps3 you'll find a couple hundred videos on this subject. I posted this question to see if other PS3 owners go to this level to maintain their PS3. I have heard of owners having trouble from loud fan noise,heat issues,games freezing and so on, so I wondered if there were PS3 owners like minded in maintenance on this forum.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I could post a video but if google how to change thermal paste on ps3 you'll find a couple hundred videos on this subject. I posted this question to see if other PS3 owners go to this level to maintain their PS3. I have heard of owners having trouble from loud fan noise,heat issues,games freezing and so on, so I wondered if there were PS3 owners like minded in maintenance on this forum.
I actually am like minded, but the price tag of my 60G has still kept me from cracking it open. I replaced the HDD; that's all on that guy.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I was a little nervous about cracking it open at first, but I watched a lot how to videos on doing this and after opening it up a few times I am no longer nervous about doing it plus I did not want to give Sony $150 every time there was an issue that I could fix myself. Now I know there will come an issue that I can't fix that's when I'll give Sony $150 or buy a new one.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I bought my new one because I didn't want to crack this one open. I am going to send it back, get it fixed and probably use it in a second system.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
What happen to it,did it just stop working or did you get YLD. I went to your post looks like you got YLD that happens a lot on 60gb launch PS3's. this is a heat issue the chips get to hot it melts the solder and loses connection with the motherboard in this case best bet send it to Sony so they can deal with or do it your self but that's a pain.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. I used to be an assembler, so I know how to do this, but I don't want to do it :)

S

shoryuken

Audioholic Intern
Shameful

After reading your guys' post i feel ashamed. I am going to go home today and do some deep cleaning myself.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Don't worry hopefully the PS4 will have a self-cleaning feature.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Hey Gang, I ask this ? because my wife said something to me today about how crazy I get about cleaning my PS3, a little background for ya I own a 40GB PS3 installed a 500GB HDD and Linux YDL 6.1 on it. My cleaning habits I don't think are that bad, once a week I blow out all the vents and do light cleaning every 3 months I crack it open to blow out any dust off the fan and motherboard. I had to change the thermal paste after 3yrs of use. My wife claims there is nobody else like me out there I beg to differ,so please post how nuts you are about cleaning your PS3 so that my wife can see I'm not the only one. Thank You.
Ares,

Impressive :eek: --- you should work in an IC Mask "Clean Room".

I unfortunately am significantly more lax in my cleaning; maybe I should be more dilligent.

Peace,

Forest Man

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis