How much AVR clearance for my setup?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I have a Marantz SR7005 with a XLS1500 as power amp for the fronts.
My signature below has details of my setup.

I have to move my AVR from my room, to the hall. This would basically mean i either use

The TV Unit is perfect, cost effective here in India. HiFi stands cost much more.
With the TV Unit, TV goes on wall, Center speaker on top of table, 3 open spaces, one each for SR7005 (bottom left),XLS 1500 (top left),XLS 2002 with sufficient space left for the mini DSP unit (top right).

However my concern is Ventilation, the Top and sides. Front and back are open, so not a concern.
Here is what I have.

For AVR:
  • AVR Dimensions is 17.5" x 16" x 7.5" (L x D x H in inches)
  • Ventilation Space is 5.5" for 2 Sides together, 2" on Top
For Power Amp:
  • Amp Dimensions is 17.5" x 10" x 4" (L x D x H in inches)
  • Ventilation Space is 5.5" for 2 Sides together, 2" on Top

For Subwoofer Amp:
  • Amp has more space across the length than the Power amp -> 15".

Is this space sufficient?
Note: I am running with an external power amp for the fronts. The power amps are Class D & runs cool.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The two pro audio amps (the Crowns) have built in fans and are designed to be stacked in a rack with little clearance, so they should be fine! Pretty sure you can verify this simply by looking at the unit - no vents on top or sides - fans pull air either from front to back or back to front, so you will not be blocking anything with your cabinet (nice looking cabinet BTW)!
I'm sure that the manual for your SR7005 states the recommended clearance, but I am also certain it is more than 2 inches!
Ideally you can get one of these Aircom fan systems:
https://www.acinfinity.com/component-fan-systems/aircom-s8-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-blower-system-rear-exhaust-17/?setCurrencyId=2
Note that there are three very similar units!
The S8 above has rear exhaust, and unless you have no clearance behind the unit, this is the way to go!
The S9 has top exhaust would would not work well (since there is only 1/2" clearance remaining - the AirCom is 1.5" tall)!
The S10 has a forward exhaust which should work as well as the S8 for cooling, but I would expect fan noise to be a little louder since the case is open between you and the fans!

These are pretty sophisticated units that allow you to pick setpoint for the fan to come on and another setpoint for when the fan should run at high speed along with a display to monitor the temperature!

One nice thing about these is they are stylized to the Marantz shape.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You need a minimum of 4.5" clearance above the unit.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
You need a minimum of 4.5" clearance above the unit.
Is the side clearance fine?
I think I can have the unit customized make it taller by about 3 inches for the AVR.

How about the Crown units? Do I need any top clearance for that?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think I can have the unit customized make it taller by about 3 inches for the AVR.

For the AVR you need a minimum of 4.5" top and sides. More is always better.

The Crowns have fans. Pro units are designed for pro racks. So they do not need clearance, but racks are generally open at the rear. So air flow to the fan and away from it must not be obstructed.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Marantz recommends 6-8” top and each side. (I’ve discussed this with them. If you don’t provide that they will not honor any over-heating claims I think.;) ) regardless, I use the ac infinity aircom t- series. Works great. Front vent can be loud. I want to change to rear vent.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Marantz recommends 6-8” top and each side. (I’ve discussed this with them. If you don’t provide that they will not honor any over-heating claims I think.;) ) regardless, I use the ac infinity aircom t- series. Works great. Front vent can be loud. I want to change to rear vent.
Interesting they must have increased clearances. So he will have to adhere to that. He should probably also put a fan on top of the unit.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting they must have increased clearances. So he will have to adhere to that. He should probably also put a fan on top of the unit.
I had a protracted service situation with my 6012 after I bought it... for the first 6 mos it was out on two different service calls for longer than I had it at home! :( The tech had significant issues trying to diagnose the problem, even with videos I sent her. Ended up being the Digital board with a loose connection somewhere... not quite at true failure point, but intermittent enough that it passed muster on their bench the first time. It was only happenstance that they replicated the fault on the second service call.
We talked at length about my set up as she was trying to eliminate possibilities, and overheating was one of the topics. End result, even with a cooling unit, SU technicians (even third-party) are going to ask about clearance if there is a possibility of an overheating fault. Cooling unit doesn't matter. She had photos of my setup, but we still discussed.
That said, even with proper clearance on all sides, I still recommend the AC Infinity Aircom units. Mine keeps my AVR below 80º unless I'm really pushing it with a movie at Reference Levels (which means ECO OFF). During 2-channel sessions, no matter how loud, the temp gauge barely budges.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah, it could be like @TLS Guy setup (is it:eek: ), though he appears to be more than a little cagey about the cooling requirements :D
I'm not cagey at all. I use racks and so the fronts are just spacers. Wide open at sides and backs.

Also I use pre/pros and NOT receivers, they only draw 60 watts and run cool. There is barely even detectable warmth on the case.

The power amps are below an extractor fan duct. The actual motor is a long way off. The fan speed can be adjusted and the motor is a long way from the inlet duct for noise reasons.

I do not have over heating issues. That studio is dismantled and in the new one under construction pro Mid Atlantic racks will be installed.

Front.

Rear

Power amp case, showing ceiling extractor duct, power amp relays and fan control. The fan comes on with the left and right main power amps.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not cagey at all. I use racks and so the fronts are just spacers. Wide open at sides and backs.

Also I use pre/pros and NOT receivers, they only draw 60 watts and run cool. There is barely even detectable warmth on the case.

The power amps are below an extractor fan duct. The actual motor is a long way off. The fan speed can be adjusted and the motor is a long way from the inlet duct for noise reasons.

I do not have over heating issues. That studio is dismantled and in the new one under construction pro Mid Atlantic racks will be installed.

Front.

Rear

Power amp case, showing ceiling extractor duct, power amp relays and fan control. The fan comes on with the left and right main power amps.

I wish I could have the same setup as you do!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Manufacturers usually state a minimum clearance for the top and sides of electronic gear. But they don't mention whether this is for an open or closed cabinet. The air flow in a cabinet open at the front and back is quite a bit more than if it's open at the front and closed at the back. Same for the side clearances. Those minimum clearance distances should reflect that. If they want to avoid paying for warranty repairs for improperly stored gear, they have to describe things better in their owner's manuals.

It's important that receivers or amps not be stored in a way that traps hot air. Give hot air a path to escape. There are a variety of ways to achieve that.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

They may have found that people are smart enough to give it 5" on top, but leave the back panel in place, which basically means there's nowhere for the cooler air to come in but the front and that doesn't cool it very well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Front.

Rear

So much work but I'll bet it's a true labor of love. Dare I say even a little... fun?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
This is on top of the 6-8" clearance?

That basically limits my options big time.

One option with that TV unit above, is to keep the center speaker and receiver on top of table side by side. However, accidental liquid spillage is a serious concern.

Last edited:
S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Back to this.

Was exploring the option of DIY - AV Rack using T/V Slot Extruded aluminum (Something like this). Looks quite simple to do this and I can customize the rack shelf spacing to my needs. Use Glass shelves or wooden shelves.

However, as these are hollow, should I be concerned about ringing or resonances?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Niwar TV Cabinet sat is probably an important element of your living room, isn't' it? TV units are an essential item of furniture for every household. Televisions are appliances that need to be kept on something stylish, functional and sleek.
So what ventilation options does that have?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis