How Loud do you listen to your Music/HT?? (DB)

J

jeff1956

Enthusiast
I've read a lot of conversations on 4 sub-woofer systems, 6 foot multi-array speakers & 1KW amps.

After it is all said and done, How loud do you play your system for general listening & for Movies/

I checked my loudness and its about 75-80 db for music
Maybe 85 db for films

With some of the big systems, how loud in DB do you guys listen? Are some of you deaf from the hobby?

95-90 db about drives me out of the room. Its ok for a minute or so..but that is it?

& Last Question: When you all do reviews? How load doe you go to evaluate? Gene? what's your threshold?

Jeff

System:peachtree NovePre with ESS Sabre Dac
Carver TFM-15 cb amp (100 w/pc)
Thiel SCS4T's
Velodyne f-1500 Sub
Grado sr80 headphones
Rotel CD 955
Mac Mini with I-Tunes

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Although my system is easily capable of putting out 95 +db, I only listen to that level briefly. When sound becomes loud like that, it detracts from the listening enjoyment as I immediately begin to worry about hearing damage.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
During big, bass heavy scenes I'll generally creep the volume up to 0, which equates to about 110-112dbC depending on the movie. Music it depends on what type. Classical pieces I'll listen to at reference due to the wide DR, but pop, rap, rock, etc I keep tit at around 85dbC.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I typically listen to my system in the 30-35dB range (~ -48dB volume setting). I will on rare occasion turn it up to ~ -20dB.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I typically listen to my system in the 30-35dB range (~ -48dB volume setting). I will on rare occasion turn it up to ~ -20dB.
The ambient noise in my room isn't that low :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'd have to check with a meter, but I don't always listen at the same level. I don't think I've watched a movie at a volume higher than -5 on my receiver, though.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I typically run around the -25dB to -20dB from reference mark for music & movies; when I'm on my own and unsupervised, I'll max out at -5dB which roughly corresponds to ~95dB average levels on music (this can vary considerably though depending on the material), and on movies I've measured "max levels" w/ Omnimic of ~115dB (unweighted) before with reported peaks higher yet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
According to my $60 Galaxy digital SPL from my listening position of 10ft, for both music and movies, I listen to a MAX overall volume of 85dB-A weight and 105dB-C weight, which includes ALL speakers and subs. This is the Max Volume, so average volume will be less than that.

I currently have 4 subs, and I plan on adding 2 or 3 more RBH SX-1010N subs. ;)

My AT2000 amp can output about 500WPC into 4 ohms, and my AT3000 amp can output 600WPC into 4 ohms (based on Lexicon XZ-7 amp measured output).

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
75-85 db avg. Only have one HE rig capable of big output, cracked 115db per the omnimic. That's loude as ****e.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I listen as loud as my wife will tolerate. Truthfully I haven't measured it but zero db on my volume control puts out one watt to the speakers. They have a sensitivity of 86 db. We normally set the volume control at -10 db so I would calculate that we listen around 76 db at one meter the speaker. We sit about 11 feet from the speakers (3 meters and change) so, at the sofa perhaps somewhere in the high 60's. Just a guess. It seems plenty loud to me.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hit 115.8dbC watching about half of the Bourne Legacy today with the receiver at -3. I wonder what that scene would sound like at +14 :eek:

H

hortence222222

Audiophyte
Well, my Paradigms have a 93/90 db sensitivity and I have had my Aventage at +10db, however loud that is. You might've seen me in the front row of a Led Zepplin or Who concert yelling "Turn it up, man".... 55 and not deaf yet, but still tryin......

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hit 115.8dbC watching about half of the Bourne Legacy today with the receiver at -3. I wonder what that scene would sound like at +14 :eek:
Oh, man, that is one kicka$$ soundtrack movie! Totally rocked my room. Definitely 100+ dBC movie! :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, man, that is one kicka$$ soundtrack movie! Totally rocked my room. Definitely 100+ dBC movie! :D
I obviously agree :D. I was a little shocked because I didn't remember that much power coming from the shack exploding when I saw it in theaters, but then again I did see it in theaters around me :rolleyes:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Was it mostly low frequencies when it hit that high? I have all the Bourne movies except this one but won't buy it until it drops to 9.99 or less. My ears can tolerate that kind of spl as long as it's low bass whether that is still harmful or not.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Was it mostly low frequencies when it hit that high? I have all the Bourne movies except this one but won't buy it until it drops to 9.99 or less. My ears can tolerate that kind of spl as long as it's low bass whether that is still harmful or not.
Yes. The large peak was during the scene when they drone strike the shack and I didn't so much hear it as felt it. Without that scene the rest of the movie had a peak of about 105dbC and I never felt like it was too loud, whereas during some scenes in the Transformer movies I'll actually turn it down.

J

jeff1956

Enthusiast
Holy crap!

115 db, 100 db & 95 db

That's smoking loud.......

Well, my Paradigms have a 93/90 db sensitivity and I have had my Aventage at +10db, however loud that is. You might've seen me in the front row of a Led Zepplin or Who concert yelling "Turn it up, man".... 55 and not deaf yet, but still tryin......

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Holy crap!

115 db, 100 db & 95 db

That's smoking loud.......
When it's C weighted it's not as loud as you'd think, especially if the majority of the sound is 80hz and lower. At that point it's more wall shaking, chest vibrating goodness.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I was listening to some music on my computer the other day and the meter showed around 95 dBC. The next time I watch a movie I'll use the meter again :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis