How long have you gone before an equipment upgrade, …

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Last winter I started my first major HT upgrade in probably 10 years. I built a completely new HT system that was definitely well above anything I’ve owned previously, but certainly no where near what some of you all have! I learned a lot along the way from this and other forums. And I made several adjustments along the way changes (some almost immediately). I still have a few goals over this year, the main one being a second PB3000. I’ve got a few future ideas too (amps, larger TV, etc.). Despite being in a sort of “done for now” status, I look at this and other forums almost daily.

All of this got me wondering, what is the longest others here have gone without making equipment upgrades?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I started my HT room in 2015. Bought a few decent pieces of equipment (Yamaha RX-A2040, Epson 8350 1080p Projector) and some budget speakers. That was my first foray into HT equipment. Fast forward to January 2021. My subwoofer decided to crap out. From there, I went full ham. Since then, I've purchased the following:

Paradigm 800F/600C
Paradigm Defiance X12 ×2
Epson 5050UBe
Anthem AVM 70
TW AT-300 (pre processor before the AVM 70)
KEF Q150 ×6
RSL C34E MKII ×4
QualGear AT Screen with AT backing
Outlaw 5000
All new cables/speaker Bracket etc
Vibration Dampening Boxes
Shelving
Crown XTI 2002 ×2 (since sold)
Outlaw 7000X
Hypex NCore NC502MP
ASUS Notebook (to run ARC Genesis on the AVM 70)
Panasonic DP-UB820K

The only thing(s) I still want (for now) are some bass transducers/actuators. I'm hoping this keeps me good for ~10 years at least........

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Last winter I started my first major HT upgrade in probably 10 years. I built a completely new HT system that was definitely well above anything I’ve owned previously, but certainly no where near what some of you all have! I learned a lot along the way from this and other forums. And I made several adjustments along the way changes (some almost immediately). I still have a few goals over this year, the main one being a second PB3000. I’ve got a few future ideas too (amps, larger TV, etc.). Despite being in a sort of “done for now” status, I look at this and other forums almost daily.

All of this got me wondering, what is the longest others here have gone without making equipment upgrades?
I change equipment rarely. I moved three years ago, and added four ceiling speakers, so that required a new pre/pro. The old one is downstairs driving a new in wall system. In the AV room I add two add a couple of power amps that I already had. I needed a new TV so the old one went into the in wall system. The only change I made in three years was to rebuild the HTPC as I did not like the MB. I have items in the system that are going strong after 60 years. I make changes seldom and only when necessary. The AV room and family room speakers have not changed in 17, years apart from the addition of the four Atmos speakers. The speakers in the great room system were a new build three years ago. The rest was from gear on hand.

My motto, is get it right the first time. That is the cheapest in the long run, and way less trouble.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Every 20 years is about how it has worked out. Used to be about how long foam surrounds would last, and about the same amount of time for analog pots to start needing work.

Other than that, I like to collect some stuff and keep it in rotation depending on mood. I have an Adcom GFA-5500 I love the sound and power of, but it runs a bit too hot in summer. My amps are right in front of where I sit. I don't watch TV or movies anymore so it's just music.

A friend just upgraded his theater seating with 8 new seats. This is kind of funny to me because he and his wife are the only ones who have used the HT room in 20 years and she rarely watches anymore. The previous chair group was still like new except for his chair. This time he opted for fabric instead of leather.

Another friend, after 15 years, dismantled his HT room and put a billiard and foosball table in and put in a really nice (he gifted me one of his old AVRs for my system) music system instead. His place is the most fun to visit. It also has a music near field situation with chairs and small tables like a lounge setup and it is not uncommon to spend a whole evening there. Everyone is always in there whenever I visit. His grown up kids and inlaws are always over there too, and everyone gravitates to the game/music room. It's not uncommon to find 3 generations of family and even some neighbors there at times. It's the place to be on Saturday. Always something happening on the grill. Everyone contributes beverages so there is always a variety.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
It has varied. But the major updates initially revolved around sound and more recent updates have revolved around video.

Started in 1989 with a three channel setup, then over the next two years, moved to Dolby Surround (4 speaker setup), then Pro Logic (5 speaker setup). That system then carried me around 10 years. Though around year 4, I moved from Laserdisc to DVD. Audio sources during this entire time was exclusively CD. TV was a 4:3 aspect ratio Pioneer 29-inch CRT.

In 2000, we replaced the CRT with a rear-projection widescreen TV (Pioneer PRO-510HD). Though we didn't get the HD module. This worked out well for the widescreen-enhanced DVDs. New receiver let us enjoy Dolby Digital for the first time. Setup was 5.1

In 2002, we moved to a new home and we tried a 7.1 setup (though the rear two couldn't be placed in the proper locations, so this was really a 6.1 setup). Very little content played anything back there. In hind-sight, I wished I would have skipped the rear speakers and just placed our surround speakers to be in a rear position and not on our sides.

In 2009, we fully transisitioned to HD. i.e. was able to capture HD footage, edit it and play back on our system. As well as to have HD sources such as Blu-ray. The rear-projection unit died and was too costly to repair or update to HD. We thus moved to a Pioneer Kuro PRO141 Plasma.

Now in 2022/2023, we fully transitioned to 4K. New cinema camera to capture 4K footage, 4K Blu-ray player, all new speakers (B&W) and a new Sony mini LED. Marantz Cinema 40 will be here this week. Some 4K Blu-ray upgrades, but I have limited this to only very few titles (prob will end up with only between 15 to 20 total). Also, back to being a 5.1 setup with surrounds to the rear of the MLP.

Here are some averages on equipment lifetimes:
  • Speakers: 20 years
  • Subwoofers: 12 years
  • TVs: 11 years
  • Receivers: 9 years
Finally, the current B&W speakers (sans subwoofer), I fully intend to keep for at least 20 years, if not more. By that time, we'll most likely move to a smaller home after retirement and will prob scale down to a 2 channel system. Next TV will be micro LED (or whatever tech ends up besting that). Hopefully that won't be for another 10 years. And while I really like the premise of Atmos, not going to add any speakers beyond the 5.1 setup.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
That is one thing I’ve definitely noticed with my new setups: I listen to music a lot more!

Both systems are Denon / Polk. A 5.1 system with my old AVR-1604 and new Polk ES speakers (ES15s, ES35, ES10s, and dad’s old Boston Acoustics Micro95pv sub) in the main floor living room. Downstairs den is where I’ve got my AVR x4700h and Polk reserve speakers in 5.1.4 setup (R700s, R400, R200s, R900s, and PB3000). I use AppleTVs on both systems to play Apple Music and I can’t tell you how many times I find myself saying one more song then I’ll go to bed, even though it’s way past bedtime!

Like I said to start the thread, I’m in a close to done situation and am really enjoying it right now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the title I took it to mean firmware update....those would depend on what they are going to fix.

Changing gear I suppose is something I've not had a particularly long time in between purchases, maybe a few years at most for the last 15 or so particularly, before that went quite a long time but was also traveling quite a bit (but had my portable system with me most of the time :)). I tend to buy adequate gear that will function well, but changing tech is more what I've changed for along with experimenting with various speakers (and building some too). I'm pretty content with most of what I've got going currently, don't see much changing in the near future barring some sort of equipment failure that would "enable" an upgrade :)

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
From the title I took it to mean firmware update....those would depend on what they are going to fix.

Changing gear I suppose is something I've not had a particularly long time in between purchases, maybe a few years at most for the last 15 or so particularly, before that went quite a long time but was also traveling quite a bit (but had my portable system with me most of the time :)). I tend to buy adequate gear that will function well, but changing tech is more what I've changed for along with experimenting with various speakers (and building some too). I'm pretty content with most of what I've got going currently, don't see much changing in the near future barring some sort of equipment failure that would "enable" an upgrade :)
Good point; I just edited the title.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
don't see much changing in the near future barring some sort of equipment failure that would "enable" an upgrade :)
That’s funny, I had been secretly hoping my old Denon would fail so I had a “legitimate” excuse! Of course it’s still in use as described above. Also have my first AVR (old Sony) in the garage with my first KLH speakers (all from Best Buy back in HS/early college). Been lucky they didn’t die, but also made it hard to justify new equipment with the wife!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s funny, I had been secretly hoping my old Denon would fail so I had a “legitimate” excuse! Of course it’s still in use as described above. Also have my first AVR (old Sony) in the garage with my first KLH speakers (all from Best Buy back in HS/early college). Been lucky they didn’t die, but also made it hard to justify new equipment with the wife!
Yeah most of my gear is stil working just fine, and have kept most of it around and in use (5 rooms have setups, 4 multich avr based and one with some of my old 2ch gear). I did have my main setup's Denon 4520 recently start to go into protection at relatively low levels (-20) as well as some issues with the main and surround right channels, so used that as an excuse to get a 4700 (4800 I think I'll let some time go by on, altho the onboard 4 sub capability is intriguing as well as the potential Dirac and let the price come down, too). Haven't given up on the 4520, now have the cover off and don't see anything particularly telling and have just started to go thru things one at a time to see where I might locate an issue....or salvage some use. It is nice to be able to play with the editor app, and the DS upmixer (even tho I don't have Atmos yet)....

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
About two years ago I added bouncy Atmos speakers and before xmas I upgraded to the latest Roku Ultra. The Latter mostly becauese I wanted one in my bedroom. Which is where the old one went. I couldn't stand the xfinitiy poc they gave me.

I have been thinking of upgrading my TV, only to go bigger. Thinking of going up to a 75 or 85" from my 65".

My main amp is getting long in the tooth, it's probably over 20 years old now!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
How long have you gone before an equipment upgrade, …
10 years. The system performs the same as it did 10 years ago which is dandy with me.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

7-8 ago years for tv .
10 years for my main Audio system but one of my receivers just died only had it 3-4 years barely used it. So when I find a job eventually I’ll be replacing that avr .

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I suffer from an illness, serial upgrading. I am getting better, but still tend to upgrade more than I should. The longest equipment I have owned is my Paradigm Seismic 12 I purchased in 2004 which I still use and my Parasound Amps. I just sent in my Anthem AVM70 for 8k 120 upgrade (not so much about the 8k, but I do game). I have since sold all my receivers have gone a simple Kanto Yu6 in one room and just added the Marantz 40n Integraged for my two channel room.

Since 2002
Receiver (Sold all but 40n)
- Yamaha 1000ish model can't remember
- Integra 30.4
- Marantz NR 1709/1710 (bedroom / Family Room)
- Marantz Model 40 Integrated

Pre/Pro
- Anthem AVM 30
- Upgraded Anthem AVM 50 (Anthem charged fee to upgrade model)
- Marantz AV7005
- Marantz AV8802A (Bought the 8802 and got free upgrade for HDMI 2.0) 2014-2021
- Anthem AVM70 Pre Pro (currently being upgraded for 8k 120 VRR etc)

Amps
- Anthem PVA7/MCA Series
- Parasound Halo Still have
- ATI Class D - Still have

Speakers
Paradigm Stuido 60v3 7.1 system
Paradigm Studio 100v5 7.1 sytem
Golden Ear Triton 1 7.4.2 System
Paradigm Persona 3F 7.4.2 System
Revel Peforma3 M106 Bookshelves for 2 Channel

Subs
Paradigm Seismic 12 Subwoofer (Still use and enjoy)
Goldenear Forcfield (Junk subs sold)
Subwoofers JL Audio Fathom F112v2s

Sony TV's
- Too many to list lol

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That’s funny, I had been secretly hoping my old Denon would fail so I had a “legitimate” excuse! Of course it’s still in use as described above.
Same here, I want a new model AVR but my Denon 4311 is still operating perfectly. And I bought it brand new when it came out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My system used to change often, but I sort of plateaued and typically only change things ever 2-3 years or when something breaks.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I change out my Denon AVR every 4-5 years, just b/c. I still have my 2015 model with nothing wrong with it. Previous ones, give to the house cleanup guy along with other items. Next time, will include a bunch of speakers. We are slowly cleaning out the basement, bit by bit. I am all set with the speakers I currently have for my small HT. lol

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I change out my Denon AVR every 4-5 years, just b/c. I still have my 2015 model with nothing wrong with it. Previous ones, give to the house cleanup guy along with other items. Next time, will include a bunch of speakers. We are slowly cleaning out the basement, bit by bit. I am all set with the speakers I currently have for my small HT. lol
Wow my Yamaha just bit the dust , barely used it must been a lemon . Those are some lucky clean up crews .. :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis