How does the RX-A1080 stack up to the DSP-1A of the late nineties?

B

BKSinAZ

Enthusiast
I just bought the RX-A1080 to use as a preamp only, so as far as multi channel SOUND QUALITY, how does the RX-A1080 stack Up to the top level receivers of the late 90's and early 2000's like the RXV2095 or DSP-1A?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just bought the RX-A1080 to use as a preamp only, so as far as multi channel SOUND QUALITY, how does the RX-A1080 stack Up to the top level receivers of the late 90's and early 2000's like the RXV2095 or DSP-1A?
Well it is light years ahead of them. The receivers you refer to were pre HDMI, and only had prologic and no discrete multichannel. Receivers of the generation you refer to are now totally useless and worthless.

However don't expect these new receivers to have the lifespan of the older ones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do you define "sound quality"? I'd consider the newer units superior generally....

wshuff

wshuff

Audioholic
I assume you mean the DSP-A1. It does actually have Dolby Digital and DTS, to go along with Yamaha‘s proprietary surround DSP and can use two front effects speakers. I still have one that has seen extensive use over the last 21 years — as the surround processor in my main setup, as the heart of a bedroom system, as an external amp. It’s back in my bedroom powering LCR with no surrounds. I use it with an Apple TV. And there’s the problem. The DSP-A1 pre-dated even component video switching. I have to use an audio extractor box to send audio over optical to the Yamaha while the HDMI from the ATV goes straight to the TV.

In my opinion, the DSP-A1 sounds great, I’ve always loved it. But so do the newer Yamaha’s I have in my living room and theater. There’s nothing about the A1 that makes me think, “Man, I gotta find a way to get that into my main rig. It sounds so much better than the new stuff.” Enjoy the 1080 and the ease that come from hooking up your sources using one cable. You’re not missing anything and you’ve gained so much.

Although if you want, I’ll trade you my DSP-A1 for the 1080. I need newer HDMI switching.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI is a must for connectivity and to support DTS MA /DTSX and Dolby TrueHD/Atmos.

New gear has the DSU “Dolby Surround” upmixer and the DTS NeuralX upmixer. You won’t likely want to use a Yamaha DSP after you compare to DSU. :)

Also for WiFi, you have Airplay and Musiccast options on the newer AVRs. The Musiccast phone App works really well with Deezer and Pandora and others.

I had RXV3300 since 2003 then got the RXA2060 in 2017 a few months after I purchased a 4K TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis