How do I get NetFlix to stream in 5.1

G

Gottaheardat

Audiophyte
Hi, I have NetFlix on my PS3 but all the instant stream movies are in stereo. Is there a setting I need to change? Even the HD movies are in stereo.

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
Nope, one of the problems with Netflix.

If the movie has 5.1, you'll see in the 'title box' a HD symbol if its in HD and 5.1 if its in 5.1.

I don't watch any 'movies' on Netflix because of that, just documentaries, TV shows etc.

They don't have the bandwidth to stream HD audio...which you'd get off a BD.

G

Gottaheardat

Audiophyte
I was reading that NetFlix streams in 5.1 on the PS3 but can't find any movies with 5.1. Was just curious if it was a setting. Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have come across two so far, but I don't recall which. It is pretty much luck of the draw. It is going to be movies that are more recently added streaming movies, but that doesn't mean recent movies.

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
Yeah, it definitely seems like there are very few Netflix streaming titles in 5.1 right now. And it also seems like for every one new-ish streaming release, they add like 10 old movies I've never heard of. But, I do like catching up on the newer TV shows via Netflix; I think the remade Battlestar Galactica series was in 5.1, but I can't say I remember for sure as it's been a while now since I watched it.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
These are the ones I know of so far.

Amadeus
Beetlejuice
B**** Slap
Bruce & Lloyd out of Control
Crips and Bloods: Made in America
Four Dragons
Heat
Holy Rollers
Malice in Wonderland
Matchstick Men
Matrix Revolutions
Rampage
Red Cliff: Theatrical Version
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Super Capers
The Last Boy Scout
Undisputed III
Ip Man
The Wild and Wonderful Whites.
Cobra
What just Happened?
Food, INC.
The Girl Who Played with Fire
Batman (1989)
Bigger Stronger Faster
Let the Right One In
The Exorcist
Red Riding Trilogy (all 3 pts)
Eden Log
Iron Man Adventures
Metropolis Restored
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Don’t look back
New York Minute
No Impact Man: The Documentary
Ondine
Ong Bak 2: the Beginning
The Warlords
The Good, the Bad, the Weird

E

Entity

Audioholic Intern
Ong Bak 3 is also in HD/5.1, since you had 2 on your list. My girlfriend makes me watch Thai movies with her lol.

Several of the TV shows offer HD and 5.1. Psych, In Plain Sight, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, and Heroes just to name a few I've seen. There are quite a few more that are in HD but not 5.1.

It's easy to be critical of it right now, but HD/5.1 has only been offered since the end of 2010, and only on the PS3. The selection of these titles, while not huge, is getting bigger all the time and will only continue to grow.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
These are the ones I know of so far.

Amadeus
Beetlejuice
B**** Slap
Bruce & Lloyd out of Control
Crips and Bloods: Made in America
Four Dragons
Heat
Holy Rollers
Malice in Wonderland
Matchstick Men
Matrix Revolutions
Rampage
Red Cliff: Theatrical Version
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Super Capers
The Last Boy Scout
Undisputed III
Ip Man
The Wild and Wonderful Whites.
Cobra
What just Happened?
Food, INC.
The Girl Who Played with Fire
Batman (1989)
Bigger Stronger Faster
Let the Right One In
The Exorcist
Red Riding Trilogy (all 3 pts)
Eden Log
Iron Man Adventures
Metropolis Restored
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Don’t look back
New York Minute
No Impact Man: The Documentary
Ondine
Ong Bak 2: the Beginning
The Warlords
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
LOL. ***** Slap is one of the ones I watched. I commented on it in a thread sometime ago and forgot that was it. The sound was excellent. The movie...not so much. :D

I watched The Girl Who Played With Fire also and it was not in 5.1 so maybe they changed that one?

That is kind of an odd list, with quite a few titles that I can't really see being that popular.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Some titles on that list have either been removed completely from Netflix streaming or have been turned back to stereo. It's one pet peeve I have with Netflix that most of the newer titles aren't 5.1 or some of the popular titles either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis