how do i connect my coby home theatre system to my tv.... please help me asap! thanks

A

amm

Audiophyte
i am absolutely clueless about electronics the instructions dont really say much so please help me asap......

please include every detail and all cables or things i need to buy to connect this !!!!!!! thank you so much for your help and your time, ashley

(something affordable for my budget)
i just bought a coby 5.1 - channel home theatre system . progressive scan dvd player with digital fm/am tuner
**has
s-video
aux 1 and 2 in (L,R)
L (white) and R (red)
SW (green) coaxial (orange)
p-scan cr/pr (red) cb/p/b (blue) y (green)
DVD-937
5.1 CHANNEL DVD HOME THEATER SYSTEM WITH DIGITAL AM/FM TUNER DVD PLAYER

FEATURES:
Progressive Scan DVD Player
Super Slim Design (2 Inches)
5.1 Channel System
Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW Discs
Digital AM/FM Tuner
Compatible with NTSC/PAL
Multiple Subtitles/Viewing Angles
Convenient On-screen Display
Zoom Operation
Parental Lock Control
Full Function Remote Control
110-220V Automatic Power Adjustable Input
FCC Approved & ETL Listed
FDA Approved
HOME THEATER SPEAKERS
5.1 Channel System
Dedicated Wooden Subwoofer with Tuned Port
Five Wide-Range Satellite Speakers
Volume and Bass Control
Blue LED Power Indicator
Wall-mount or Desktop Speakers
Ideal for DVD, Games & Personal Audio
DRIVERS
Five Satellites: 2.25" Cone Type
Subwoofer: 5.25" Long Throw Woofer

SPECIFICATIONS:
Unit Size:
DVD: 17" x 2.35" x 15"
Speakers: 3.35" x 6.1" x 2.35"
Subwoofer: 7" x 10" x 12.4"
Gift Box Packaging

ACCESSORIES INCLUDED:
Full Function Remote Control
AV Cable
FM Antenna
AM Antenna

and i need to hook it up to my tv which is a philips tv
tv-no audio output.
** has
s-video
monitor out -yellow, white,red
av1 in - y, pb , pt
av2 in -video audeo L,R

Last edited:
Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
You need a component video cable. This is the one with three ends, Red,Blue and Green. Dont spend more than 15-20 bucks for one. You can find them at home depot,walmart,lowes and radioshack but if you go to radioshack be prepared to have the salesman try and sell you one costing possibly a hundred bucks. Take it from the output of your coby system and into the corresponding input on your tv. Appears as this would be av1 input from your descirption.

The rest of the hookup like the speakers should be pretty self explanitory.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
amm said:
and i need to hook it up to my tv which is a philips tv
tv-no audio output.
amm said:
** has
s-video
monitor out -yellow, white,red
av1 in - y, pb , pt
av2 in -video audeo L,R

Are you sure your TV doesn't have an audio output? The red/white connections under "monitor out" should be your audio out.

For the DVD player video connection to the TV I would use component video (red, green, blue).

Here are the cables you would need.

Audio L/R RCA

Component Video Cable

You should be able to connect the red/white monitor out jacks to the aux input on your theater system.

A

amm

Audiophyte
You need a component video cable. This is the one with three ends, Red,Blue and Green. Dont spend more than 15-20 bucks for one. You can find them at home depot,walmart,lowes and radioshack but if you go to radioshack be prepared to have the salesman try and sell you one costing possibly a hundred bucks. Take it from the output of your coby system and into the corresponding input on your tv. Appears as this would be av1 input from your descirption.

The rest of the hookup like the speakers should be pretty self explanitory.

ok just to make sure we are on the same page>>>
the speakers only work with a dvd or cd. i want them also to work with the tv. does your reply still apply to this ???

A

amm

Audiophyte
Are you sure your TV doesn't have an audio output? The red/white connections under "monitor out" should be your audio out.

For the DVD player video connection to the TV I would use component video (red, green, blue).

Here are the cables you would need.

Audio L/R RCA

Component Video Cable

You should be able to connect the red/white monitor out jacks to the aux input on your theater system.

ok the speakers only work with the dvd or cd and i want them to work with the tv as well. the monitor out has yellow , white, and red . can i only use the red and white?

does your reply still apply to my question??

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
the monitor out has yellow , white, and red . can i only use the red and white?
Yes, just use the red/white connections from your TV and hook them up to the aux input on your theater system.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Use red, green, blue to av1 input on the tv.
Use red and white monitor out to aux1 on the Coby.

You should be set.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
ok the speakers only work with the dvd or cd and i want them to work with the tv as well.
Connect the red/white audio outputs from the TV to an open red/white analog input on the receiver, assuming you have any.

If your TV doesn't have the aforementioned red/white analog audio outputs, you can't do it. fuggedaboutit.

Alex1

Audiophyte
help to connect my home theater

Hi,my cousin gave a coby 5.1 home theater and i dont know how to connect it it had all the speakers and r.c.a. cables :confused:

D

Dixie_Darlin

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm new so I wasn't sure if I'm suppose to make a new thread or go with this one. I tried to follow the instructions in this post, however, I'm still not getting any sound. Could you please tell me what I need to do. I want to be able to hear the sound from the TV at all times.

Here is the back of the TV it is a Hisense one I've never heard of before. Here's a shot of the back of the TV.

See back TV here

The home system looks like this one.
Amazon.com: Coby CSP97 300 Watts 5.1-Channel Speaker System, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics

I need to know where to stick the red/white and where to stick the green/blue/red cable too. No not that kind of sticking. Thanks in advance. :eek:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I can't find a manusl for your Coby unit so you'll have to do a little research on your own.

If it has a "coaxial digital input" you might be able to use it. If not, it doesn't look promising. One thing you give up when going for these budget units is flexibility.

D

Dixie_Darlin

Audiophyte
I can't find a manusl for your Coby unit so you'll have to do a little research on your own.

If it has a "coaxial digital input" you might be able to use it. If not, it doesn't look promising. One thing you give up when going for these budget units is flexibility.
Thank you very much. I know it's older. Someone gave it to my Dad and of course he always thinks it great and something better, when sometimes, it's not.

Here's a manual if that helps, the back is on page 6. http://dutchmen.com/image/data/documents/parts/Coby_Home_Theater_DVD_Player_DVD-925.pdf Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
that manual helps me but, sad to say, not you.

the most common way to connect audio is through the red/white RCA jacks. But, both the source and target unit need these.

Another method connect audio is through a digital audio connection (orange jack) , either a coaxial wire or a fibre optic cable (toslink). Again, both the source and target unit need these.

the sad thing in this case is that it appears that the TV has a digital coaxial audio output (orange jack) but the Coby has a red/white analog input for the CD which would work if the TV had the corrosponding output.

D

Dixie_Darlin

Audiophyte
that manual helps me but, sad to say, not you.

the most common way to connect audio is through the red/white RCA jacks. But, both the source and target unit need these.

Another method connect audio is through a digital audio connection (orange jack) , either a coaxial wire or a fibre optic cable (toslink). Again, both the source and target unit need these.

the sad thing in this case is that it appears that the TV has a digital coaxial audio output (orange jack) but the Coby has a red/white analog input for the CD which would work if the TV had the corrosponding output.
Thank you so much. I do understand these things and sometimes items just need to go, but again, my Dad things all those things last forever. Maybe he had something else he can hook up. Thanks again for all your help. Dixie

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Dixie, and welcome to the forum!

To get audio from the TV to the Coby, the easiest way with that equipment is to use the "Headphone" jack on the TV, an inexpensive cable like this one to go from a 3.5mm headphone jack to stereo RCA plugs, and connect the RCA plugs to one of the Aux left/right inputs on the Coby.

To get video from the Coby to the TV, use the component video output on the back of the Coby (the green/blue/red cable that you mentioned) and connect that to the "COMPONENT" video input on the TV (which is right next to the headphone jack).

If I misunderstood and you want to send audio from the Coby to the TV, too, then you'd connect the left/right RCA audio outputs on the back of the Coby to the left/right audio inputs of the "COMPONENT" input on the TV - right next to where you connect the green/blue/red video cable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis