how do i build a good home speaker..?

R

rustys111

Audiophyte
hey people....
i want to build two home speaker cabinets starting from scratch....
The actual cabinet is not a problem to build, its the wiring and general electronics that i have no clue how to do.....
The speakers will be run off my Yamaha system..its powers 100watts to two speakers....
i want to build two speaker cabinets with about four 6inch speakers and one sub in each cabinet.....
NOW... how do i wire it up firstly and do i need some sort of amplifier inside the cabinets etc.....I want them to be loud and as clear as possible...
Im just doing this for somethiong to keep me amused for the remaining of the year of uni...so no rush...but all the help i can get is appreciated..
THANX
RUSTY

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Hi there,

I would first pick up the book :SPEAKER BUILDING 201. Read that first to give you a good foundation of what you plan on doing. Also check out the forums at Madisound and Parts Express, they are two of the best speaker building forums around and you will get tons of help and support. There is a lot more that goes into making a speaker than a box with drivers. Another book to read would be :LOUDSPEAKER DESIGN COOKBOOK 6th ED. Hope that helps some...also don't forget to check out: http://www.partexpress.com/projectshowcase/index.html

This is a showcase of DIY speaker projects.

Good Luck :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
To amplify what John said,...

Lurk around http://www.madisound.com forums for a while. You'll be amazed at what goes into what initially appears to be a simple project.

Also, you might consider some kits. I do believe they offer plans for enclosures for some of the speakers they sell. If so, this may be your best bet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, speakers appear simple enough, but it comes down to how "right" do you want them to be? Great speakers are not exactly simple to design, and even good speakers can be a little tougher than it would seem. One way is to buy a kit that is already designed and just build the cabinets yourself. This can save you quite a bit and you don't have to go through all the trial and error of building them yourself (unless that's what you are wanting to do). PE and Madisound have some very good kits. You might also want to take a look at the kits offered at www.adireaudio.com too, maybe something like the Kit261. Take a look at my sig too. GR has some great kits.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis