How common DVD-A Compatibility Issues ?

M

malamute99

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>How common are DVD-A compatility issues?

I borrowed a friends JVC 723D DVD-A player to see how it works in my system. The JVC demo DVD-A disk plays fine. An older DVD-A demo disk plays fine. New DVD-A disks from Chesky and Silverstream don't load. I belive that the problem is due to the newer DVD-A disks carrying soundtracks in DTS and Dolby digital which make them compatable with DVD-V players. JVC tech support states that there is nothing wrong with the player and that I should not expect it to play new DVD-A disks!

Are other people having problems playing newer DVD-A disks in their players?</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I'm a little confused by your post, but what i will say is that i have had a world of difficulty accessing dts and dd5.1 modes on non DTS Entertainment discs on my dvd-a player because it always defaults to dvd-a.

What i do if i want to hear those tracks is put the dvd-a in my sacd player where it immediately defaults to dd5.1 or dts because it cannot play dvd-a.

Peter m.</font>

M

malamute99

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>According to the the DVD-A specification, dolby digital and DTS tracks are supposed to be ignored if DVD-A tracks are on the disk. It sounds like your DVD-A player is working according the way that it is supposed to.

My problem is that the JVC 723D player gets confused if there are any dolby digital or DTS tracks on the disk. The player ejects the disk becuase it doesn't know how to play them.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
That's interesting, I use the Jvc 7disc FA92SL for dvd-a and have not yet run into that issue.

You may want to go back into programming when there is no disc in the machine and in downmix, choose "stream pcm" and in downmix choose "off" and see if that helps.

Peter m.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis