How can I tell if I'm getting HDMI 1.0, 1,1, 1.2, 1.3?

R

RESmonkey

Enthusiast
My setup is a Playstation 3 (HDMI) to Sceptre X20WG-Naga (DVI) using a HDMI to DVI cable with ferrite cores (good?).

Now, I know the PS3 outputs HDMI 1.3. But, Does going into DVI hamper this (probably not, since it's digital, right?), or does the PS3 just output some other version of HDMI since it's going to a DVI source?

BTW, my monitor is HDCP-compliant. Accepts 1080p signals, too.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
depends what version your monitor accepts. does it matter though? unless your set is hdmi 1.3 with "deep color" support or whatever it's not really going to affect you.

edit: doh, i need to get better at reading. since the monitor doesn't really do any sort of hdmi standard I dont think it even makes a difference. it's not like you're putting lossless audio through into the dvi input.

R

RESmonkey

Enthusiast
ohh

So HDMI 1.3 is mostly aimed towards that DeepColor tech. and high end audio signal stuff? Phew...only video runs through my cables. Audio is....analog RCA (good 'nuff for desktop gaming).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Version numbers (for any standard) specify minimum requirements to enable certain features. So it isn't really correct to view any device as 'outputting hdmi 1.3'.

If say the PS3 supports a feature that requires HDMI 1.3 and you enable that feature, the TV must also support HDMI 1.3 in order for the feature to work. HDMI negotiates features between the source and sink device so if the PS3 wants to do something the TV doesn't recognize/can't support it just won't work. If the TV only supports features available with HDMI 1.2 then you only get 1.2 features from the PS3 because it can do anything up to and including those features requiring 1.3. Make sense?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis