how can i safely split the center channel

W

walter

Audiophyte
im seting up a 7.1 in wall speaker system. the problem is the center channel would be right in line with the flu of my fireplace. i would like to safely split the center channel so i could have two centers one on each side of the fireplace. any advice ?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
walter said:
im seting up a 7.1 in wall speaker system. the problem is the center channel would be right in line with the flu of my fireplace. i would like to safely split the center channel so i could have two centers one on each side of the fireplace. any advice ?
You can wire two bookshevles in series, and the amp will see 16 ohms, but won't play as loud. You would need to increase the center channel 3dB to make up for the load loss. Where is the tv set going to be? Have you considered a dedicated center over or under the tv?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
walter said:

First you get a chainsaw...........

JK,
What type of receiver are you going to run? Do you have any specs on the speakers you plan to use?

W

walter

Audiophyte
the 42 inch plasma is going over the fireplase.can i wire the in wall speakers the way you said? thanks for the help!

W

walter

Audiophyte
speakers polk rc651 100w 8ohm two way,i want to figure this out before i get the receiver, thanks

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
OOPS forgot to mention look at the area of SVC (Single Voice Coil) Not a Dual VC set-up.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Humm now that I look at it Buckeye would be right, two 8 ohm speakers in series would be 16 ohms. The centers you would need would have to be 4 ohms in order for the receiver to see 8 ohm load...

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
You could buy a ohm load resistor, to drop the 16 ohms down back to 8 ohms. So the receiver would power them correctly.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
brian32672 said:
You could buy a ohm load resistor, to drop the 16 ohms down back to 8 ohms. So the receiver would power them correctly.
Why bother? just boost the center 3db!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
MacManNM said:
Why bother? just boost the center 3db!
Surely thats the easy way.
But if he did want to keep all of the speakers at the same impedence, then this would have to do.

Personally IMO, I would want them all at the same rating, specially at higher reference volumes. Surely the centers could only be turned up just so loud.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis