How bright is bright?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
All right guys, sorry to be such a pain in the *** but I think I finally know what I'm going to do. I talked to a guy at Best Buy and he said that even though the Sharp has a matte screen, there are still going to be some reflection. I think he's probably right about this because when I had some paintings framed and got non-reflective glass, the reflections were still there they just get diffused.

So if I'm going to have reflections either way I might as go with the one that has the better picture quality. So I think I'm going to get the VT30. If I don't like the reflections I'll just have Best Buy swap it out for the Sharp.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
So I decided I wanted to go with the Samsung PN64D8000 because I wanted the web browser that the VT30 doesn't have and I LOVE my current Samsung LCD.

Looks like Best Buy recently put it on hella sale because it was $2,499 with 2 pairs of glasses and a 3D BD player. But what really sold it for me was that they just started doing 3 years interest-free financing again!!!

I looked back and forth between the Samsung and the Sharp and I could see room reflections on both. The Sharp had the reflections a little more diffused but they were still clearly there. So I figured if they're both going to have reflections I might as well get the one with the better picture.

They're going to deliver it on Saturday. Now I've just gotta work up the nerve to tell the wife. She's been wanting a new car for a few years and didn't want me buying a TV. :(

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
So I decided I wanted to go with the Samsung PN64D8000 because I wanted the web browser that the VT30 doesn't have and I LOVE my current Samsung LCD.

Looks like Best Buy recently put it on hella sale because it was $2,499 with 2 pairs of glasses and a 3D BD player. But what really sold it for me was that they just started doing 3 years interest-free financing again!!!

I looked back and forth between the Samsung and the Sharp and I could see room reflections on both. The Sharp had the reflections a little more diffused but they were still clearly there. So I figured if they're both going to have reflections I might as well get the one with the better picture.

They're going to deliver it on Saturday. Now I've just gotta work up the nerve to tell the wife. She's been wanting a new car for a few years and didn't want me buying a TV. :(
Just turn on the charm! (that still works...right???:D)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Or just hope that she doesn't notice... :D
LOL, I've done that in the past with amps and stuff, but this one I think is too obvious to try and slip past her. It gets delivered on Saturday so I was trying to think of something I could have her do to get her out of the house.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I got my 3 pairs of Samsung 3D Bluetooth glasses for $20/pr. on Amazon brand new. They work great.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I got my 3 pairs of Samsung 3D Bluetooth glasses for $20/pr. on Amazon brand new. They work great.
Hey John,

You mentioned that you really liked 3D gaming. So does the PS 3 convert games to 3D or do you need a specific 3D version of the game like 3D BD's?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You just need games that are 3D. I've tried 5 so far. The most impressive so far is Killzone 3, but Arkham City and Uncharted 3 are pretty awesome too.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
You just need games that are 3D. I've tried 5 so far. The most impressive so far is Killzone 3, but Arkham City and Uncharted 3 are pretty awesome too.
Of those 3 I only have Arkham City. Didn't know it was 3D. I'll have to check that one out this weekend.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gliding outside through the city is freaking crazy on that one. The image quality is better on Arkham City than it is on Killzone, but KZ's environments are better designed with 3D in mind.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
TV should be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

I've been reading all over about plasma break in but there's conflicting information out there. Supposedly the manufacturers say that newer plasma's don't require break in but some people say that's just a marketing ploy.

What do the plasma owners have to say?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome - what a great way to start the weekend!

I don't know if break in is required, but the rationale made enough sense to me in 2009 that I decided to play these images (well, kinda - I still watched TV right when I got it, but I ran the images when I was out walking Niki or in another room). I just put the picture files on an SD card and used the slide show viewer on my Panasonic.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome - what a great way to start the weekend!

I don't know if break in is required, but the rationale made enough sense to me in 2009 that I decided to play these images (well, kinda - I still watched TV right when I got it, but I ran the images when I was out walking Niki or in another room). I just put the picture files on an SD card and used the slide show viewer on my Panasonic.
Yep I copied those to a flash drive myself. Guess it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I figured I'd let the TV play the slides at night when I go to bed for a couple of nights.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Yep I copied those to a flash drive myself. Guess it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I figured I'd let the TV play the slides at night when I go to bed for a couple of nights.
I would not run them when you are not able to check in on the process. I would fear it locking up on one slide for hours... I'm on the paranoid side though.:)

I never broke in either of my plasmas... I was going to but just never did. they both look good to me so???:confused::)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Got the TV today. Put it up on the wall and it looks amazing right out of the box. I put it on the Movie setting and turned the contrast down to 70. I thought my Samsung LCD had a good picture but this one blows it away. Can't wait to get it calibrated.

The glare on the screen actually isn't bad. I think it even looks better than my LCD did. Maybe the "Real Black Filter" really helps with glare after all. Pretty happy so far. I have noticed the "buzz" coming from the set thought. It's weird I only notice it if I have an ear turned directly towards the TV. Hopefully this mellows out.

Freaked out a little bit when I couldn't get the 3D to work. Wracked my brains for a while until I realized it was the UMC-1 not the TV or PS 3. Went directly to the TV via HDMI and the 3D worked like a charm. Sucks not surround that way though. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to bypass the UMC for video if I want surround sound. :mad:

I'll post up some pics later.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Ran the break-in slide show for a couple of hours today while I was running errands.

That's one big *** box!

Old TV

My OCD is kicking in and bugging be to raise the mount up an inch or two. I kinda don't like how the center channel covers the very bottom of the TV. But honestly I don't want to bother with moving the cabinet, pulling the TV down, drilling more holes in the wall and moving it.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Is that Walking Tall? It's kinda hard to tell with that center channel blocking the screen. :p :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Is that Walking Tall? It's kinda hard to tell with that center channel blocking the screen. :p :D
Boooooooooooooooooo! That's not right. Kick his butt Darien!

I think it looks good. It doesn't stick up over the wall.:cool:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That was indeed Walking Tall. It was on TV when I first hooked it up. I was immediately impress with the picture on this TV.

One thing though I was going to watch Blitz last night, (Jason Statham movie), but it is in serious letterbox format. Even when I selected Zoom for picture size there was still some black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Will watching a movie in letterbox format be an issue for this TV? I'd say I've got about 20 hours of full screen watching on the set so far with 2 of those being the burn-in slide show.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Boooooooooooooooooo! That's not right. Kick his butt Darien!

I think it looks good. It doesn't stick up over the wall.:cool:
Yeah the upper corner of the TV is about an inch or two below the top of the hand rail.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis