How a Phoenix record store owner set the audiophile world on fire

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a Washington Post article about MoFi Records using digital masters and not publicly being upfront about it, and the company certainly deserves a smack-down.

Audiophiles comes across as slightly nutty old dudes, but no mention of cables, thankfully. Here is another example as to way I don't tell other people I'm an audiophile as that term is hijacked by nuts, the hifi magazines and unethical audio companies. Even on this forum we have cable nuts and other flat-earthers that remains immune to science.

I think it's very decent article and the following is something you can easily read here on this forum:

>>>The fallout of the MoFi revelation has thrown the audiophile community into something of an existential crisis. The quality of digitized music has long been criticized because of how much data was stripped out of files so MP3s could fit on mobile devices. But these days, with the right equipment, digital recordings can be so good they can fool even the best ears. Many of MoFi’s now-exposed records were on Fremer and Esposito’s own lists of the best sounding analog albums.<<<

The article does end with this uplifting paragraph to smack-down the nuts:

>>>And Randy Braun, a music lover, Hoffman message board member and lawyer in New York, hopes that, in the end, the MoFi revelation will prove what he’s been saying for years, that the anti-digital crowd has been lying to itself: “These people who claim they have golden ears and can hear the difference between analog and digital, well, it turns out you couldn’t.” <<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
And Randy Braun, a music lover, Hoffman message board member and lawyer in New York, hopes that, in the end, the MoFi revelation will prove what he’s been saying for years, that the anti-digital crowd has been lying to itself: “These people who claim they have golden ears and can hear the difference between analog and digital, well, it turns out you couldn’t.”
When confronted with results from properly-done blind listening tests (of various pieces of audio electronic gear), that were contrary to their irrational beliefs, the same golden-eared crowd struggled to find any conclusion, other than the obvious one. Instead of admitting they were wrong, they claimed the results demonstrated unspecified flaws in all blind listening tests that make any results invalid. I expect the same will happen here with the MoFi story.

I love this cartoon because it shows a pretentious audiophile who admits the real truth.
1659800274076.jpeg

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
>>>And Randy Braun, a music lover, Hoffman message board member and lawyer in New York, hopes that, in the end, the MoFi revelation will prove what he’s been saying for years, that the anti-digital crowd has been lying to itself: “These people who claim they have golden ears and can hear the difference between analog and digital, well, it turns out you couldn’t.” <<<
It's much easier to hear the difference when someone has an LP with digital AND one with the analog tape but MoFi came along before CDs and other digital media and their emphasis was on half speed mastering. I haven't seen anything about half speed mastering in any of the recent articles.

Wow- they're selling LPs on those classics in the four digit numbers. Nothing shows the world that LPs are back like pressing 7500 copies of something that originally sold close to 6 million (Abraxas). :rolleyes:

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Heh heh heh.

I find most vinyl people are either doing it from nostalgia (obviously requires some age on their bones), or because they've fallen into the rabbit hole of nonsense dribble on e-zines/youtube/etc that comes up with Victorian class language to describe their emotionally influenced psychoacoustics.

To think more information can be etched into a material like a record than recorded uncompressed as digital is quite depressing when people argue that vinyl is the end all be all of high fidelity.

These days is super common to have digitally produced music released on vinyl simply for the fun of it.

Very best,

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've generally avoided web sites that claim analog recordings sound better than digital. But with the MoFi story, I've wondered if there were any audiophiles who had claimed the Emperor wore no clothes.

Did anyone ever previously complain that their high-priced supposedly all-analog vinyl records sounded digitized?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I find it pretty funny. It is basically what I was saying in the other audiophile thread. Why do these sort of details matter? It proves that the "how" isn't that important. Of course we all want the best possible representation of the recordings, but if it sounds great, does it really matter how it got there?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... Even on this forum we have cable nuts and other flat-earthers that remains immune to science.

You mean you have not heard about that vaccine for science immunity? Been on the market of a long time. ;) :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis