Hours till Red Ring O Death?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hello All,
How many hours do you thing you've used your XBOX 360 before it failed?
And were you using any auxiliary cooling?
The reason for the question; I have 'maybe' 10 hours on mine, and was wondering how long it would take
to get the Red Ring Of Death.
Maybe I could accelerate the process along, so I'm not shipping it back during the busy holiday season.(UPS);)

Last edited by a moderator:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
From everything I have read there is no set amout of time before a 360 will go out. I have a couple friends who have had theirs since launch and they are still running okay. I say okay as they occasionally freeze up and still feel very hot to the touch, but they have yet to get the red rings.

I have other friends who have had theirs for less than a month before they go. One friend got Halo 3 and as soon as he turned on his 360 with the game in hand it died. Needless to say he was and is pissed.

Also, from what I have seen auxiliary cooling cannot be confirmed to be successful in slowing down the breaking process of a 360. If you do want an aux unit I would recommend finding one that does not plug into the 360 for power and rather has its own supply as those will work better. Lastly, I think the best advice would be keep the unit very well ventelated and try not to play for extended amounts of time. Also, if I were you I would try to kill the unit after the holidays season as by then the new, smaller and cooler running, CPU will be in full swing and you might have a chance of only needing to replace the unit once rather than twice.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My brother has had his for over a year and no RRoD. >knocks on wood<

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
It can happen at any time, regardless of cooling, amount of play time, etc. I got the rings after about a year (it was a 2nd gen console) and i know people that have launch consoles and have no problems. I had an intercooler on mine.

Speculation is that it's due to heat, but if that were the case, newer consoles would have better fans and they don't. Most people get the rings right when they turn the console on, which leads me to believe it's more an electrical issue, although I don't think MS even knows what it is or they would have fixed it by now.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Relax with the paranoid trip here!

The RRoD isn't as common as some people seem to think!

I only know of 3 Xbox that went out, 2 of them I learned from today on this forum. That's out of all my gaming friends... Not that many.

Just enjoy your console...

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
All my friends who have a regular white 360 have had to send it in at least once so far. One was scratching discs and all the others had RROD. This is 6 360's we are talking about. My wife's little brother got an elite a while back and it has been working great for him so far and I haven't heard anything about the elite's being prone to breaking at all. Only thing is that it's pretty damn loud. Sounds like a mini lawnmower even when it's not doing anything.

I want one for xmas so I might have to either get the elite or buy the halo 3 one which has the new 65nm cpu and a different cooling system.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You'll never believe this.

I just can't make this sh*t up!
I just posted yesterday, asking about the RROD.
Today, It happened!
I played Halo3 for a few hours after work yesterday.
Today after work, the wife went to see her two nieces.
So, home alone, at 6:00 P.M. I went to turn the 360 on, and nothing.
I waited a minute and tried the on switch again.
This time I get three quadrants lit up red.
I played the last three hours of it's thirteen hour life, yesterday.
(All with the Intercooler fans on the back)

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Unbelievable! Trade it in for a PS3. You won't have many games to play, but it's rock solid reliable! LOL
But seriously, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a crazy coincidence.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I just can't make this sh*t up!
I just posted yesterday, asking about the RROD.
Today, It happened!
I played Halo3 for a few hours after work yesterday.
Today after work, the wife went to see her two nieces.
So, home alone, at 6:00 P.M. I went to turn the 360 on, and nothing.
I waited a minute and tried the on switch again.
This time I get three quadrants lit up red.
I played the last three hours of it's thirteen hour life, yesterday.
(All with the Intercooler fans on the back)

Seriously?

What Intercooler did you have hooked up to it? (Don't mention that to any MS CS Rep.)

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Relax with the paranoid trip here!

The RRoD isn't as common as some people seem to think!

I only know of 3 Xbox that went out, 2 of them I learned from today on this forum. That's out of all my gaming friends... Not that many.

Just enjoy your console...
Actually, it is far too common. Many in the news media (CNN, FOX, etc) ran quite a few stories on Microsoft and the 360's RROD, and while there was much speculation as to how many units were actually failing, at one point, there was an estimated 25% failure rate. I wish I can find the article on it, because that figure initially came from Microsoft, and then either the same day or day after, they quickly recanted their story and denied ever mentioning a failure rate publicly. Both units in my household have had to be returned at least once, and one of the units had the RROD twice.

Even if the failure rate is 10%, that would still be considered extremely high from a business standpoint.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Unbelievable! Trade it in for a PS3. You won't have many games to play, but it's rock solid reliable! LOL
But seriously, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a crazy coincidence.
It really is rock-solid! I've had mine since launch and it's never had one problem, no freezing, no overheating...nothing. My friends tease about the 600 dollars I paid, and I say " Well, my console still works!" It cracks me up :D

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
It really is rock-solid! I've had mine since launch and it's never had one problem, no freezing, no overheating...nothing. My friends tease about the 600 dollars I paid, and I say " Well, my console still works!" It cracks me up :D
I wonder what kind of treatment the failed 360's have gone thru? How old are the owners?

I haven't had any issues with mine. I didn't pay 600$ for it and I had it a full year before the PS3 came out. I don't feel on the "loosing side" of the equation here! :)

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I wonder what kind of treatment the failed 360's have gone thru? How old are the owners?
I haven't had any issues with mine. I didn't pay 600$ for it and I had it a full year before the PS3 came out. I don't feel on the "loosing side" of the equation here! :)
I'm 33. I've babied it. Once I hooked it up to my home theatre, it hasn't been moved. I dust regularly. It isn't within 2 feet of another component and that is a 5-disc cd changer that is never on. It has never been part of a marathon gaming session (4+ hours) and lays horizontally plugged directly into the wall.

It has regularly froze on me since I first set it up...some months more than others and some games more than others (the 2k series sports games froze up more for me, on average).

If you add up all the freezes I've had with an Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, N64, Playstation, PS2 & Xbox they don't come close to how many I've had in 9 months with my 360.

Then it died.

My refurb has frozen up on me about 4 times and I've had it back for one week today...it is only a matter of time before my refurb dies and there is nothing I can do about it other than sell my 360 and my games and accessories and accept the losses.

Lame.

This is the last MicroSoft console I ever buy.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's funny how some people have several of the same console with zero failures, and others have all the bad luck. My 360's have always ran great.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Wow, that's pretty lame!

Mine has always been plugged into the surge protector. Maybe it helped?

I'm 32 and I haven't done anything different than you. I've carried the console to friends places also.

Knock on wood!

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
You didn't have THIS intercooler hooked up did you? Apparently they can cause a variety of problems. Sorry to hear about your broken box....I'm on #2myself :eek:

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief

I babied my first one too. Not a scratch on it or any of the discs that went into it. You couldn't tell it from new.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis