Hot Link X12 IR Repeater?

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
Does anyone have experience with, or real-world knowledge of, the Hot Link X12 IR repeater?

I am in the late stages of finishing my installation and need to get IR signals into the cabinetry (wife vetoed smoked glass doors). I have looked at Niles, Xantech and Buffalo and was leaning toward Niles MSU250. Then this Hot Link unit caught my eye. Cheaper. And their boasts of sensitivity are attractive since I want to put the "eye" behind a cloth speaker grille.

www.hot-link.com

Any thoughts?

Tom

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
HTnewbie said:
Does anyone have experience with, or real-world knowledge of, the Hot Link X12 IR repeater?

I am in the late stages of finishing my installation and need to get IR signals into the cabinetry (wife vetoed smoked glass doors). I have looked at Niles, Xantech and Buffalo and was leaning toward Niles MSU250. Then this Hot Link unit caught my eye. Cheaper. And their boasts of sensitivity are attractive since I want to put the "eye" behind a cloth speaker grille.

www.hot-link.com Any thoughts? Tom

Give them a call and see if indeed it will see that IR signal from behind a grill cloth. I doubt it but...:)

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
We'll know in a couple of days!

I placed the order over the weekend and should have the repeater by week's end.

Ideally, I would like to have the sensor behind a grille cloth just to keep things clean. Everything I have read about most quality repeaters (Xantech, Buffalo, Hot Link) is that they should all work (to some degree) behind a reasonably open-weaved grille cloth. The big compromise seems to be loss of range due to the "filtering" of the cloth.

However, if I sacrafice too much range/sensitivity behind the cloth, I have other "out in the open" alternatives. The Hot Link sensor is small but is not a surface mount wart like some of it's competitors. As I understand it, the sensor picks up the signals from its "sides" rather than the tip as with the Xantech and Buffalo. Thus, instead of a surface mount in the wall unit, I can do a vertical mount inside any of the open spaces in the cabinetry. My first thought is recessed six inches into the opening for the RPTV (see photo).

Somewhere I read that I may have a problem with interference from three recessed fixtures that use 12v halogen bulbs. The grille cloth should block most interference from those and the alternative mentioned will solve that problem completely.

Out of curiosity, why don't you think this will work behind the cloth?

Tom

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis