hooking up loudspeakers with a 5.1 system, help!

G

GRKnyc

Audiophyte
I recently got as a gift a pair of MTS towers along with MTS 5.1 theater system. The DVD/reciever/tuner hooks up to the subwoofer. With an amp in the subwoofer, the center, front and rears hook up. My question is that if I want to hook up the 2 freestanding towers to play with the 5.1 system, will i have to connect them to another reciever/amp? If I have to do that, do you recommend using the new reciever/amp to power the loudspeakers and the 5.1 by connecting everything to the reciever, or should i just use the reciever/amp to power the loudspeakers alone, and use the subwoofer amp to power the 5.1 system? the towers are 500 watts each, the subwoofer 250 watts, 150 watt center, 100 watts x 4 satellites. I read a few articles regarding using loudspeakers with a 5.1 surround system, but I am more concerned with the connections of the components.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
"With an amp in the subwoofer, the center, fronts, and rears hook up"

......GRKnyc, first of all, it's for sure you want the amp section built into the sub to power only the sub....now, are you saying the center, fronts, and rears are powered/active speakers with an amp section onboard them?.....

.....please answer that question and it will give Buck and others something to work with....

G

GRKnyc

Audiophyte
thanks for replying first of all. The subwoofer with its built in amp powers the center, rear and fronts. My concern is that if i want to add 2 floorstandings speakers to the already existing 5.1, do you recommend connecting the four satellites and the center to the existing amp within the subwoofer, or do you recommend connecting the satellites to a new reciever or seperate amp with enough juice to power the 2 floorstanding towers.
What should I look for in an amp or new reciever in order to get the 5.1 and the 2 floorstanding speakers to get playing altogether. your help is appreciated.thanks

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
GRKnyc said:
thanks for replying first of all. The subwoofer with its built in amp connects to the center, rear and fronts. My concern is that if i want to add 2 floorstandings speakers to the already existing 5.1, do you recommend connecting the satellites to the existing amp within the subwoofer, or do you recommend connecting the satellites to a new reciever or seperate amp with enough juice to power the 2 floorstanding towers. Sorry for the confusion, thanks again
.....glad to reply, but I am short on experience with surround receivers/surround systems.....

.....you've got to follow the unamplified signal through your system....I assure you, your sub is not powering anything but the sub....someone will be along soon to clear up your problem....I suspect a slave amp will be suggested to power your seperate-and-apart extra tower speakers, getting the passive full-range signal to the slave amp from the pre-outs of your receiver.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....hell, I should be a greeter at Wal-Mart.....

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Can you please provide some part #'s of your equipment, so we know what we are dealing with here. The way you describe the connections is a bit unusual.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
GRKnyc said:
I recently got as a gift a pair of MTS towers along with MTS 5.1 theater system. The DVD/reciever/tuner hooks up to the subwoofer. With an amp in the subwoofer, the center, front and rears hook up. My question is that if I want to hook up the 2 freestanding towers to play with the 5.1 system, will i have to connect them to another reciever/amp? If I have to do that, do you recommend using the new reciever/amp to power the loudspeakers and the 5.1 by connecting everything to the reciever, or should i just use the reciever/amp to power the loudspeakers alone, and use the subwoofer amp to power the 5.1 system? the towers are 500 watts each, the subwoofer 250 watts, 150 watt center, 100 watts x 4 satellites. I read a few articles regarding using loudspeakers with a 5.1 surround system, but I am more concerned with the connections of the components.
That sounds like a HTIB (home theater in a box) type system. Your satellites are probably 6 ohm, as is your receivers ratings. The drivers in your speakers are probably less than 5", and your sub is probably less than 8". Your receiver is probably only 5 channels, so you would not be able to run the two towers unless you chucked the existing two speakers. I doubt your receiver will be able to drive the towers if they are true towers (i.e. 40" tall, at least 2 6" woofers, and weighing over 35lbs). This is all a guess, so without knowing model numbers, etc..., we can't tell you much more.

Update. Here it is.
www.mtsspeakers.com/products.htm

Yes, you would need to buy a new receiver, preferably a 7.1 so you can hook up all the speakers. The subwoofer may be able to be used if it has an rca input on the rear. Very strange setup, and very hard to find on google.

Here's some more of what they sell on ebay.
http://search.ebay.com/millennium-theater_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQfromZR8

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
That has no ability to expand. Good enough for starters though.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis