Hooking up a receiver with a computer

S

SearsElectronic

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't have any luck using the search function...

I would like to use the same speakers in my room for my TV as well as for my computer.

So my question is, is there a way to have a receiver linked to my computer so that I can listen to my music through the receiver as well as use it for my TV?

Also, is there really a point in getting an LCD TV and using it for my computer? I know that it will cost quite a bit, but I wouldn't mind getting a 20" LCD TV if I would be getting good results for my computer graphics.

Thanks in advance for replying,

BB

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Yes

Sears,
If I understand your question correctly, the answer is Yes and fairly easily. If you want the Computer actually by the TV and physically connected, you should look into a sound card with an Optical or SPDIF connector. This will allow you to connect straight to the PC. It's also possible to connect the computer remotely through several different media players that use your PC as a music server and eliminate the need for a computer and monitor right by the receiver. I'm going to use a Slim Devices "Squeezebox" for this.

As for an LCD TV for the PC, I'm not a big fan. If you do any gaming, they can limit your frame rate. You can also see trailing during sporting events and can be limited in viewing angle.

Mike

S

SearsElectronic

Audiophyte
Thanks alot Mike for your answer.

I am going to look into your suggestions, and they're much appreciated. I basically get a big discount at my work (Sears) especially since I work in the Electronics department :)

We don't have a computer section, but we do have lots of different receivers, etc.

Thanks for your time, once again.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
easiest method

While admitedly this is not the highest quality option, it is certainly the easiest. Using a 1/8" pin to Left (White) and Right (Red) Strero RCA cable, (available at walmart, radio shack etc.) Connect the 1/8" pin to the speaker out of you computer, and connect to the red white rca plugs to an available audio input on your receiver. This connection is certainly one you can use to get you up and going quickly until you figure out the more complicated way of hooking up your computer using a digital connection.

just_visiting

Audioholic Intern
hopjohn said:
While admitedly this is not the highest quality option, it is certainly the easiest. Using a 1/8" pin to Left (White) and Right (Red) Strero RCA cable, (available at walmart, radio shack etc.) Connect the 1/8" pin to the speaker out of you computer, and connect to the red white rca plugs to an available audio input on your receiver. This connection is certainly one you can use to get you up and going quickly until you figure out the more complicated way of hooking up your computer using a digital connection.

=========================

Easiest way is to hook up a digital cable from soundcard to a digital input on your reciever. 1 cable and you're done and assuming you have a digital-out soundcard.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
hopjohn said:

BTW radioshack might still sell a better version of that adaptor which is jsut a hard black plastic body with RCAs on one end, and a miniplug on the other. The whole unit is small, durable, and at least for me, has worked better than any of the cable-type adaptors....might be these adaptors might not be very well shielded, I dunno.

Also radioshack used to sell a miniplu to RCA cable that went directly into your reciever, double shielded and all...but it was pricey...I think it was $25 for 12ft...nearly 10 years ago...so if they even stock it anymore...expect it to hurt.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

just_visiting said:
=========================

Easiest way is to hook up a digital cable from soundcard to a digital input on your reciever. 1 cable and you're done and assuming you have a digital-out soundcard.
I tend to disagree, Usually there are several settings that need to be changed on the software side of your sound card. You may have one less cable using the digital connection but, that is where the simplicity ends.

Like Hopjohn said this will suffice until another connection can be made.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Rgriffin,
Not correct with either of the two that I have (2-computers). My SB Live has an SPDIF port on the front, My Delta 66 on the back. Neither require setting changes to output digitally, although I might have to mute the analog outs on the Delta if I leave them hooked up. But it's not difficult What sound cards have you experienced complications with? I want to make sure I don't get one!

Also, simplicity of connection is not the only potential benefit. If the DACS in whatever device you are outputting to are better than the ones on your sound card, you should benefit from outputting a digital rather than analog signal and letting them handle the conversion.

Mike

Last edited:
T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I have a modded Xbox running X Box Media Centre hooked up to my receiver. It took a little reading to set up the network (with a cross-over cable), but I can remote control my MP3's & AVI's & I don't have to go to my computer to start winamp & set up a playlist. I'm going to get an advanced AV pack so I can use the digital out & get 5.1 DD surround from my AVI's. I hear you can get an HD pack & get it to play high-def video, but I haven't looked into that.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
rgriffin25 said:
I tend to disagree, Usually there are several settings that need to be changed on the software side of your sound card. You may have one less cable using the digital connection but, that is where the simplicity ends.
I agree with that statement. The connection is simple, but getting it setup to do what you want is problematic if you aren't familiar with the soundcard or at least take the time to read and experiment with the settings.

Example: I have TB Santa Cruz card. It has a 'VersaJack' that can be set to Analog Out, Analog In, or Digital Out - it defaults to analog out. So if I were to just hook up the digital cable, there would be no sound and I'd be back on these boards asking people to help me troubleshoot why (If I wasn't already aware of these kinds of requirements).

SoundBlaster Audigy cards have a setting that is not checked by default too. Consumer sound cards like these re-sample to 48 kHZ internally (AC 97 spec requirement) and that causes problesm with passing DD and DTS signals). There all kinds of potential pitfalls, its not necessarily as easy as just hooking up a digital cable like it is for other audio equipment.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Not so complicated that it's not worth trying

Anon and Griffin,
I'm more of a computer guy than a Stereo guy and I've been using my PC to record and playback music for more than 5 years. So I'll conceed up front that I may be more comfortable in this environment than some. But if you can figure out how to effectively set up and use an HTR receiver (not exactly simple), you can probably deal with setting a digital connection to play music from your PC if you take the time to check out the instructions. There are potential technical pitfalls to every solution, but they shouldn't be overstated. There are plenty of places (like this forum, product support sites, etc) to ask for help and advice. It might take a novice some trial and error to get exactly the result that they want and there is very little chance they are going to break/permanently screw-up anything in the process.

Mike

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
FLMike,
I'm a programmer and I didn't have any problems setting it up either, but there are pitfalls for those who maybe aren't as familiar with this stuff as you and I. Some people will take the time to try to learn the principles behind it all and help themselves, but many will just seek out a site like this and post 'it don't work - help me'.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Like my mom....

Anonymous,
I know exactly what you mean. My Mom is a tech support nightmare, and you can probably guess who she calls when something doesn't work. But I also worry about making technical things sound too mysterious or complicated so that people who are new to something--computers, audio, whatever--are afraid to try things that will enhance their experience. This one seems pretty simple. Not like hooking up wireless S/PDIF like a poster in another thread is trying ;-) .

Mike

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

FLMike said:
Anon and Griffin,
I'm more of a computer guy than a Stereo guy and I've been using my PC to record and playback music for more than 5 years. So I'll conceed up front that I may be more comfortable in this environment than some. But if you can figure out how to effectively set up and use an HTR receiver (not exactly simple), you can probably deal with setting a digital connection to play music from your PC if you take the time to check out the instructions. There are potential technical pitfalls to every solution, but they shouldn't be overstated. There are plenty of places (like this forum, product support sites, etc) to ask for help and advice. It might take a novice some trial and error to get exactly the result that they want and there is very little chance they are going to break/permanently screw-up anything in the process.

Mike
You know what it really boils down to? You cannot assume that the person asking the question knows as much as you. I deal with this on a day to day basis. I work at an electronics store and I install various electronics at the customer's house. A part of my job is to explain to the customer how to use their new equipment. If I went into the job using your mentality the customer would be better off figuring it out on their own. Obviously, if he is coming into the forums here to ask a "simple" question we cannot assume he is a computer guru. I am glad you have not run into any configuration problems with either of your computers. From my experience with computers and soundcards (which is pushing 6 years) it's never been that easy. I have always figured out a way to get it to work, not without getting irritated a few times.

I think the best thing at this point is to hope that we answered his question and to move on.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Well which is it Mike, easy for a beginner or not hard for someone with experience? An analog connection is more along the lines of a typical connection, such as a VCR etc. If you were hooking up a SpDIF connection to the front of a computer, then I would assume you were using a high dollar soundcard with a live drive device or something with a 5.25" daughtercard, etc. Thus, having more experience with computers than a great number of audiophytes here, but I digress.

Sears if you want to use a digital connection let us know what kind of soundcard your using, and how exactly you'll be using you computer, games, dvds, music only...etc..to give us an idea of what would work best for you.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Sears,

Sorry this discussion got off track. Obviously some of the other posters think I am giving you bad advice. It comes down to your comfort level and what you want the system to do for you.

Here is a suggestion. Most equipment makers have manuals on-line. Take a look at a couple that are in your price range and look up what they have to say about installing, configuring, and using their digital output. M-audio has a good consumer oriented line called the Revolution now ( www.m-audio.com ) and Soundblaster is readily available. This way you know what you are getting into.

If you have any questions or want to run anything past me (soundcards, usage, etc.), I'll be glad to try and help.

Mike

C

camda

Audiophyte
I was wondering about the same issue as SearsElectronic. That is, is it possible to hook up a computer to receiver and best way to do it? In my case, I also want to hook up xbox, dvd, tv, etc.

Specifically, the Panasonic SA-XR70S 6.1 receiver. Here are the specs:

Dolby(r) Surround Pro Logic(r) Ilx

Surround Field Control (Music: Live, Pop/Rock, Vocal, Jazz, Dance, Party - AV/Movie: Drama, Action, Sports, Musical, Game, Mono)

Multi-Source Re-Master Processing Helps to Compensate for Any Sounds Lost Due to Compression During Recording for a Rich Sound Field When Listening to DVDs, CDs and WMA/MP3 Recordings on CD-R/RW Discs

HQ Sound Mode Helps Reduce Noise Level of Power Stage to Improve S/N

Multi-Channel Multi-Drive with Digital Linear Phase

Bass Synthesizer

Independent Simple Subwoofer Level Control

Speaker Configuration Settings for Each Channel: Large, Small, None (Except L/R Channels)

Multi-Channel Sound Field Functions for Advanced A/V Effects (Center Focus, Multi-Rear Sound)

High Quality Analog Parts

Second Audio Output

A and/or B Speaker Selector

On-Screen Display for Easy Setup

Multi-Control Jog

HDMI Terminals Compatible with DVD-Audio (1-In, 1-Out)

6-Ch Discrete Inputs for Connection to Decoder Built-in DVD-Audio Player or DVD-Video Player

4 Digital Inputs (2 Optical, 2 Coaxial: 192kHz Compatible with DVD)/1 Digital Output (Optical)

Front Audio/Video Input (with S-Video)

Large Speaker Terminals for Front LR Speakers (Speaker A and B)

Subwoofer Output for Extended Bass Reproduction

4 S-Video Terminals (3-In, 1-Out)

3 Component Video Terminals (2-In, 1-Out)

Quartz-Synthesized Digital Tuning System

10-KeyDirect Tuning (Via Remote Control)

3 Video and 4 Audio Input Selectors

Illuminated Universal Remote Control Commands Most Current TVs, VCRs and DVD Players

TIA

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
camda,

It would help to know what a few things first.

TV
widescreen? HDTV? inputs? outputs?

DVD
Progressive scan? Outputs? DVD-A? SACD?

Computer
Sound card type? Outputs?
Video card type? Outputs?

General
Primary uses?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com