T

THOMBOY

Audiophyte
I see some great graphics on the site for hookong up a DVD player or a Cable system but not for both. I am looking for something like that to hook up a DVD player a VCR and a Cable System, to an AV Receiver and then to a TV(HD ready) but not HD. Is there any graphics for a set up like this?

For instance I see two graphics; one for hooking up a DVD player and one for hooking up a Cable system, both show that you should take the digital optic out and run it to the digital optic in on the AV Receiver, if there is only one digital optic in how does one hook up both?

Also if I just got a P-Scan DVD player and my TV is not HD(this is for a diferent system than the one above) and the screen is 36 in, is there any reason to use Component or S-Video wiring or is coaxial fine?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
If your receiver only has one optical in, you may need to get a switch that will let you switch between the DVD player and the Digital Cable system. Most of the new receivers have multiple digtal audio ins.

For your second question, if your TV has component ins, I'd use them. You'll get the best picture quality using the component, then s-video, then composite, then coaxial.

T

THOMBOY

Audiophyte
Is Digital Optic In The Same As Digital Audio In?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Digital audio cables

There are 2 types of digital audio cables that you can use from the DVD and cable box to the receiver.

1. Digital Coax: Shielded coax cable with RCA connectors that is designed to carry a digital audio signal. Not to be confused with analog L/R rca cables or connections.

2. Digital Optical: Fiber optical cable that caries the same digital signal as coax but using a different medium (light). Has a small square connection at each end.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I just thought about it, you may have a digital optical in, and a digital coax in. If so you can route each device via a different method to your receiver.

What kind of receiver are you using?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis