Home Theatre Setup?

S

SuperDusti

Audiophyte
Hey, sorry if similar questions have been asked/discussed; however, I have a few questions
That I just can't seem to find the answers to.

First off My name is Dustin, I live in BC, Canada, my current setup is/will be shortly: Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H, Speakers: Harman Kardon HKTS-15 5.1, projector: Optoma UHD50X. I'm currently waiting for the projector and receiver to be delivered; I also have an Avenue 4k wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver. My living room isn't huge. It's about 15ft long by 13ft wide by 8ft high. and the couch is against the back wall. I have a motorized screen that comes down in front of the only windows in the room. The receiver and my xbox next to the screen just above where my internet modem is. I am planning on running wires inside the walls. I already have the wires from the projector and wireless HDMI in-wall, they come out behind couch.
I plan on setting this up in a 5.2.4 configuration, but don't want speakers in my walls/ceiling.
I just spent close to $5,000cad. I don't want to break the bank on this. I don't mind waiting a little bit, but I have no plans on spending another $5,000. I was hoping I could finish this in the $1,000 max range.

My questions are:
1. With the couch against the back wall, making it impossible to place rear speakers, what is the best way to set up a 5.2.4 system? Can I use just height front and height surrounds?

2.will the HKTS-15 even be a good match to the X3700H? If not, what should I look for?
3. If I keep the HKTS-15, what would be a good sub to add?

4. I have done a lot of research on height speakers, which got me almost nowhere, as all of the height/atmos module speakers seem to be set up specifically for bouncing sound off the ceiling or in-ceiling. I want to mount four speakers to my ceiling for the height speakers, any suggestions?

5. I have an in-home digital recording system, using a USB Interface and DAW. I have a pair of relatively nice 8in M-Audio BX-8 D3 powered studio reference monitors. They have to inputs: balanced XLR and balanced/unbalanced TRS. Would it be a good idea to use these and my front speakers, or can I even use them? I realize they are meant for music, but I've always wondered.

6. Any ideas on how I should run the wires in my walls? Anything going across the room has to go through studs or floor joists as we are in a basement suite and the wall behind the screen is load bearing.

7. Should I ditch the wireless HDMI? I was thinking about optical fiber in-wall. However, it is supposed to be really bad to use toslink but optical fiber is supposed to be the best. My confusion lies in the fact that Toslink IS optical fiber! lol if you try to research either, you come up with both.

8. Lastly and least important at the moment, my projector screen is pretty basic, it's white, pretty big, not sure if the new projector will get any bigger. It's motorized. Basically does what it needs to do. Should I be looking for a new one for the 4k stuff? Or will it really make that much of a difference?

If you think I am overlooking anything, please feel free to let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all so much in advance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello SuperDusti. Welcome. Can you not move the couch forward of the back wall at all? It has an impact on height channel(Dolby Atmos) placement as well.

S

SuperDusti

Audiophyte
Technically I could, but I have an L shaped couch. If I move it forward, it greatly reduces the size of my living room and makes the space behind the couch pretty much unusable without making it look very odd. I was hoping I could mount the surround channels on the ceiling about a foot away from the back wall facing towards each other. The only other option would be to move the couch to near the center of the room and then I could still use the space behind. The issue with this, is that it places the couch about 5feet away from the screen.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I see what you mean. I have an L shaped couch with the main listening position about nine feet from the screen. You want something similar to this setup for 5.1.4 but furniture can make it difficult for some.

B86CBDCF-D3D1-4663-9316-75C57070615B.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My questions are:
1. With the couch against the back wall, making it impossible to place rear speakers, what is the best way to set up a 5.2.4 system? Can I use just height front and height surrounds?
I would look at doing just a 3.1.2 system. There just isn't a good way to incorporate surrounds in a set up like that without making everything sounding worse than if you had not put in surrounds at all. Surrounds aren't terribly important anyway, so it's not a big deal to skip them.
2.will the HKTS-15 even be a good match to the X3700H? If not, what should I look for?
I don't think they are a good match. That speaker system is pretty weak, and that AVR is a proven performer that deserves a lot better. It's a very uneven system.
3. If I keep the HKTS-15, what would be a good sub to add?
The HKTS-15 system comes with a subwoofer. Not a great one, but one that is a match with those speakers.
4. I have done a lot of research on height speakers, which got me almost nowhere, as all of the height/atmos module speakers seem to be set up specifically for bouncing sound off the ceiling or in-ceiling. I want to mount four speakers to my ceiling for the height speakers, any suggestions?
Most major loudspeaker manufacturers should have pretty competent in-ceiling speakers. I would be looking at Polk, Revel, JBL, KEF, and RSL to start with.
5. I have an in-home digital recording system, using a USB Interface and DAW. I have a pair of relatively nice 8in M-Audio BX-8 D3 powered studio reference monitors. They have to inputs: balanced XLR and balanced/unbalanced TRS. Would it be a good idea to use these and my front speakers, or can I even use them? I realize they are meant for music, but I've always wondered.
You can use them, and no doubt they would be much better than the HKTS speakers. The problem is that they may for good left and rights, but you are still left with a poor center speaker. Most surround sound content comes from the center, and it would sound strange to have such capable left and right speakers but with a junk center. I would tell you to buy another M-Audio speaker to use as a center, but I don't think they make those BX series anymore.
6. Any ideas on how I should run the wires in my walls? Anything going across the room has to go through studs or floor joists as we are in a basement suite and the wall behind the screen is load bearing.
Given your setup, I would just stick with a good front stage speaker system.
7. Should I ditch the wireless HDMI? I was thinking about optical fiber in-wall. However, it is supposed to be really bad to use toslink but optical fiber is supposed to be the best. My confusion lies in the fact that Toslink IS optical fiber! lol if you try to research either, you come up with both.
Toslink can't handle the newer sound formats. I would try to use HDMI somehow.
8. Lastly and least important at the moment, my projector screen is pretty basic, it's white, pretty big, not sure if the new projector will get any bigger. It's motorized. Basically does what it needs to do. Should I be looking for a new one for the 4k stuff? Or will it really make that much of a difference?
That screen should be fine for a 4K picture. There are better, of course, but they get quite a bit more expensive.

S

SuperDusti

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply.
A couple of things:
1. I'm running 5.1 already and it definitely doesn't sound bad. If I removed the surrounds, I feel like I would lose much of the 3d effect of watching movies. If I was going to do what in my mind, isn't much better than stereo, have music equipment from my recording studio I could use than would make the denon look like a ghetto blaster. Lol. But I really want that nice surround for movies. Also, don't need it for music, as previously mentioned, I have stuff for that. You would think I would know a lot about this already, but home theater is way different than music production. So, my idea was to keep the surrounds, move my couch forward about 2', not put in surround backs and have front R/L, center, front heights and surround heights. No backs at all, I've heard they don't make that much difference.

2. I had asked about the height speakers because I don't want to install in-ceiling speakers, I want to mount enclosed speakers on the ceiling and wanted to know what speakers might be really good for this? I was thinking Klipsch, but their atmos speakers are up-firing. I can't find down-firing atmos speakers.

3. I realize the HKs have a sub, I wanted to add a sub for 5.2.4. I don't need to shake the walls, but I'd like to have nice clean bass. I figured with 2 subs I could have them set at lower levels and still get the sound I want.

4. I do have an extra original BX8, which aren't much different than the D3s. I could use that as the center, would that be an alright set up? Seems a little weird to have the same speaker for all 3 fronts.

5. I watched a video from Sound United about running wires and the guy said that optical cables were by far the best. I'm assuming he meant optical HDMI, but wanted to be sure, as when I search for them I come up with what looks like Toslink. I'm pretty sure I've solved the in-wall issue at length regardless, as I've decided to move my receiver.

6. Asking about the screen because, I forgot to mention, my current screen isn't wide screen, which obviously limits the size of my picture.

I'm pretty much decided on ditching the HKTS 5.1s, though I will keep them and replace as I go.
So, now I'm really trying to figure out the speakers and 2 subs

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Technically I could, but I have an L shaped couch. If I move it forward, it greatly reduces the size of my living room and makes the space behind the couch pretty much unusable without making it look very odd. I was hoping I could mount the surround channels on the ceiling about a foot away from the back wall facing towards each other. The only other option would be to move the couch to near the center of the room and then I could still use the space behind. The issue with this, is that it places the couch about 5feet away from the screen.
Yea, it sucks but you definitely don’t want to be that close to back wall. I’m no home theater expert, but this was advised by Gene who is the president of Audioholics.

second, have you taken the time to realize the 3700H isn’t a very good idea with that bug/glitch they found on the 4K/120 chip. You will not be getting the performance advertised by your receiver. You can save yourself some good money with Black Friday and a 3500 or 4500H.

Probably they already mentioned this, since it seems you haven’t acquired your receiver yet.

For your #4 concern, I’d go with the SVS elevation Dolby atmos speakers. Dont need any extra drama but screwing the brackets to the studs and running your cable in or outside of the wall.

S

SuperDusti

Audiophyte
Yea, it sucks but
you definitely don’t want to be that close to back wall. I’m no home theater expert, but this was advised by Gene who is the president of Audioholics.

second, have you taken the time to realize the 3700H isn’t a very good idea with that bug/glitch they found on the 4K/120 chip. You will not be getting the performance advertised by your receiver. You can save yourself some good money with Black Friday and a 3500 or 4500H.

Probably they already mentioned this, since it seems you haven’t acquired your receiver yet.

For your #4 concern, I’d go with the SVS elevation Dolby atmos speakers. Dont need any extra drama but screwing the brackets to the studs and running your cable in or outside of the wall.
Thanks!

I have decided to move my couch forward about 3ft. It won't actually be that bad.

My projector only does 4k 60hz. The bug only affects 4k 120hz and up, so I won't be affected.

Also, Denon will be producing a permanent fix at some point and all 8k passthrough receivers have this issue as far as I know, as it is the chipset that is the culprit.

I was actually looking at the SVS Elevations. I wasn't sure if you could mount them high, as they look like upward firing modules and are displayed as such. The same goes with the Klipsch R-41SA and RP-500SA.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Thanks!

I have decided to move my couch forward about 3ft. It won't actually be that bad.

My projector only does 4k 60hz. The bug only affects 4k 120hz and up, so I won't be affected.

Also, Denon will be producing a permanent fix at some point and all 8k passthrough receivers have this issue as far as I know, as it is the chipset that is the culprit.

I was actually looking at the SVS Elevations. I wasn't sure if you could mount them high, as they look like upward firing modules and are displayed as such. The same goes with the Klipsch R-41SA and RP-500SA.
Yea those up firing do work, but it’s nothing like real atmos speakers which are posted on the roof. I was going to buy the Klipsch r625fa, I believe that was the model. But it’s not worth it, if you want the real atmos effects you don’t want them to be reflections, which is what up firing does.

The SVS elevation are sufficient with less drama and all the performance.

Well they have confirmed that firmware will not fix the issue, so you are gaining nominal difference for more money. If the option is available go with the savings and buy two pairs of elevations.

Seems like your only option is going to be to send your unit in and have the chip completely swapped out. I don’t think there’s a DIY for the chip.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis