D

davidwmcintosh

Audiophyte
I was hoping that someone here could give me an idea of whether it is possible to get adequate sound quality from a Home Theatre PC (HTPC).

I have read alot of review and opinions of HTPC devices, and alot of reviews of traditional home theatre equipment, but never any comparisons between HTPC equipment, and traditional components. Is there a good way to combine HTPC equipment with traditional components?

How would the following setup compare to traditional components?

SOUND CARD (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
SpecificationsModel
Brand CREATIVE
Series Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro
Model 70SB036000000
Audio core
Audio Chipset Audigy2
Channels 8 (7.1)
Sample Rate 192KHz
Digital Audio 24-bit
SNR 108dB
Hardware Decode Dolby Digital EX, DTS-EX
Polyphony 64 Voices (Hardware)
Ports
Line In Yes
Line Out Front/Rear/Center/Subwoofer/Rear Center
MIDI/Joystick Yes
CD/Aux In Yes
Spec
Interface PCI
External Box Headphone Out (1/4” Stereo Jack), Line In 1 (1/4” Stereo Jack , shared with Microphone In with Gain Control), Line In 2 (1/4” Stereo Jack), Line In 3 (2x RCA Jack), Optical SPDIF In/Out, Coaxial SPDIF In/Out, Digital Out for 5.1 support (6-channel SPDIF Output to Creative digital speakers), 2x FireWire® (IEEE® 1394) ports, MIDI In / Out, Infra-red Receiver, D_LINK 1 and AD_LINK 2 connectors
Remote Control Yes
Operating Systems Supported Windows 98SE, 2000, ME and XP
Features
Features VD-Audio, THX Certified, EAX Advanced HD, DTS-Extended Surround

SPEAKERS
SpecificationsModel
Brand CREATIVE
Series GigaWorks
Model S750
General SPEC
Configuration 7.1
Total Power 700 Watts
Satellite RMS Power /ea 70 Watts
Subwoofer RMS Power 210 Watts
Frequency Response 25Hz - 40,000Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio(SNR) 99 dB
Remote Wireless
Features
Features THX Certified 7.1 Speaker System with CMSS upmix to also work with 5.1 & 6.1 sound cards, Two-way satellite speakers, M-PORT for streaming audio from compatible NOMAD MuVo MP3 players, BASH amplification offers 700 Watts of Total Power

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
While computer sound cards like the Audigy 2 is capable of high-quality output, computer speakers are another story. I don't know of any 5.1 computer set that even approaches the sound quality of a traditional setup.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I agree with Jaxvon. When I think of a HTPC it is something really meant to integrate with an existing system. Take your HTPC and hook up the audio to a receiver and speaker set up. And then either run the video through the receiver to the tv or straight to the tv. With the Audigy you can run a fiberoptc cable or digital coax to your receiver and have digital sound w/o added distortion from components from the pc. Throw in a graphics card capable of outputing a signal to a TV and your set. There are more elaborate setups that turn a PC into a DVR which can also be accomplished by a graphics card, something like the ATI all-in-wonder series.

A

AFJumper03

Junior Audioholic
The biggest difference I've seen without a doubt is trying to play something LOUD. If you have your computer surround sound set up in a small room like most people do, it will sound great for most sound levels. But as soon as you try to put those little speakers in a living room and watch star wars with it, you'll see the computer sound card just cannot push the kind of power needed, nor will it be able to push a good set of speakers where they should be. I agree with what others have said, run you sound card into a quality reciever through the digital out and you should have no degraded sound quality. Thats exactly what I'm planning on doing with my new set up.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Spiffyfast said:
When I think of a HTPC it is something really meant to integrate with an existing system.
That's it. If you are looking to play movies/games etc. on your PC that's one thing but to have your PC eliminate a sound system is a bit of a stretch. I have seen some pretty cool HTPC's but they are always connected to a receiver or seperates. I think one of the advantages of an HTPC is the ability to scale video to different resolutions along with having a music jukebox connected. Plus you can surf the web while watching TV or better yet have your fantasy football command center up while watching games!. While they can be very impressive and have a signigicant WOW factor they are not intended to improve sound quality. For my use a media extender works just fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis