home theatre Custom build surround sound speakers

D

djain2020

Audiophyte
I want to custom build 5. home theatre surround sound system. can someone suggest what speakers should i buy, their tech specs too. My budget is under 150 to 200 dollars for speakers only, boxes will build separately

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I want to custom build 5. home theatre surround sound system. can someone suggest what speakers should i buy, their tech specs too. My budget is under 150 to 200 dollars for speakers only, boxes will build separately
With your budget, you cannot get any decent speaker system. With such limited budget, I suggest that you limit yourself to a stereo system for now. Parts-Express is one seller which might be able to recommend you a few reasonably priced speaker kits with detailed info on the recommended cabinets to build.

D

djain2020

Audiophyte
With your budget, you cannot get any decent speaker system. With such limited budget, I suggest that you limit yourself to a stereo system for now. Parts-Express is one seller which might be able to recommend you a few reasonably priced speaker kits with detailed info on the recommended cabinets to build.
I already have a harmon kardon 171 7.2 channel system
AVR 171S

I only need surround sound speakers set. ANd I am exploring option to build the surround sound speaker set, but am unable to figure out technically what to look for under the budget of 200 dollars. And also what should I buy, how many speakers, coaxial or component, how many tweeters, woofer, does it require additional electronic circuitry to avoid interference between speakers etc.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I already have a harmon kardon 171 7.2 channel system
AVR 171S

I only need surround sound speakers set. ANd I am exploring option to build the surround sound speaker set, but am unable to figure out technically what to look for under the budget of 200 dollars. And also what should I buy, how many speakers, coaxial or component, how many tweeters, woofer, does it require additional electronic circuitry to avoid interference between speakers etc.
I think that you need to read, first of all, at least one good book on speaker building, as you are not aware of all the complexities involved with the building of speaker systems.
Each loudspeaker driver has its specific parameters and building good passive crossovers is not an easy project. You need the proper knowledge to be able to obtain good results. That's why I recommended that you verify with Parts-Express as they have low cost speaker kits with drivers that match with each other and if required, the appropriate crossover components.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a book on speaker building:

D

djain2020

Audiophyte
I am a Novice in audio and electronics and am just an enthusiast, and was exploring the custom build option. Will do some more research and get back with any more queries, if any. Thanks for the quick responses. Appreciate it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe getting driver/crossover/baffle kits at diysoundgroup.com....but you need to increase your basic knowledge.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Are you only looking to build 2 speakers for surround duty? It's unclear to me how many speakers you're looking for in this budget.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It sounds like you may be from somewhere that English is not your native language.

That said, you will want to know the terminology for what you are asking about.

Speakers in a surround system include:
Front left/right mains, or stereo speakers.
Center Channel
Surround Left/Right speakers
Surround Back Left/Right speakers
Subwoofer

The 7 main speakers + subwoofer is what comprises a complete 7.1 audio system.
Many people, depending on the size of their room, go for a 5.1 surround sound setup.

But, speakers are not called 'surround sound speakers' unless they are the surround left/right or the surround back left/right speakers.

It sounds like what you are looking to put together is the 5 main speakers in a surround sound package, not including the subwoofer, and your budget for the drivers (the actual part of the speakers that plays the audio) is $200.

This is where your terminology starts to fall apart and your lack of understanding of how speakers work really shows.

A quality speaker can cost upwards of several hundred dollars (or several thousand dollars) for a complete speaker, and recreating the exact same quality may save you 25% or so off that cost. That's for ONE speaker. So, when you want to build 5 speakers and your budget for drivers is $200, you really aren't going to be buying into quality components.

One of the big factors in room audio quality is the front three speakers. Some people say the front two, but I would put most of the money towards getting the best possible speakers across my front soundstage. Then add a very good subwoofer to the mix.

Unfortunately, I'm not a speaker builder. So, for me I buy everything I am using. But, I would dig into all the DiY audio forums and start gathering knowledge. Learn what the terms and math all means and download some example build kits so that I can get some idea of what I'm getting myself into. Look at the price of crossovers and the cost of drivers, and all the other hardware I may need to make just one speaker of reasonable quality.

Then, I'd probably realize that I really need to add quite a bit to my budget to really get good quality audio.

The problem is this: You CAN build a set of 5 complete speakers for the money you have. But, nobody should spend all the time that is necessary to build five decent speaker enclosures and all the labor and effort involved for what $200 in drivers will sound like. So, do your homework and figure out if you can find something that works for you that is the right thing to build.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of good advice here so far. If you are truly at this level, the Alden book linked above is good, but perhaps a little advanced for good understanding. Another good book that helped me out is the Weems book on speaker design. I found it more accessible and it definitely got me ready for the Alden book.
That aside, the thing that hasn’t been broached is the fact you need access to a good amount of tools to do what you are describing:
Table saw, jigsaw or plunge router, drill, lots of cabinet clamps... these at the absolute minimum. Nice to also have a power sander as well, and perhaps even access to a planer.
To successfully build speakers, you need to be a carpenter/cabinet maker as well as electrician and acoustician.
I think it’s a worthy pursuit. But not to be taken lightly.
Kits from PE, Madisound, DIY, Meniscus might be a good way to start as they will have everything planned out in advance. This is usually a recommended first step. As is starting with building a subwoofer before moving into other speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is your objective to build speakers as part of the hobby? Or is it to get the best speakers you can out of your dollars?
Good comments by others above, but if you are looking to get the best speakers you can for your money, I would get these!
At the going price of around $83/pr, you can't build as good of a speaker without spending more. As long as these fit your requirements for size/installation! They are rear ported, but 2.5" should be adequate clearance (based on 1.5 X port diameter guideline):

Here is some discussion of them:

Note: If you decide to order recognize that "Buy 1 for $82.95 each" is buying one each, "pack of two" for 82.95!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis