Home Theater Upgrade Strategy

Mayhem

Mayhem

Audioholic Intern
I don't know where to post this, I figure the Beginner area is probably the best place.

I'm looking at upgrading my home theater piece by piece since I am on somewhat of a budget and am looking for some guidence as to if my strategy is sound. I have done searches on both here and the AVS forums, and what I have in mind seems like a good plan, but I want some input.

As the sig details, I am running some old gear that I am interested in upgrading. Game plan would be:

Phase 1: Axiom M60ti x2, Axiom VP150 x1, use current Bose 601's as surrounds. Bose wedges retired. $1,285.00

Phase 2: Axiom QS8/pair x1, FMS QS/pair x1, no more Bose 601's, $770.00

Phase 3: Receiver, replace Denon AVC-3000, $300-$1,200 depending on final descision.

Phase 4: Subwoofer

Given the above plan, I do have a few questions:

1. Are the Axiom M60ti's going to supply sufficient bass in an apartment setting without a subwoofer? I can't crank the sound as it is with my Denon (neighbors get annoyed), but I am concerned that while the high and mid ranges are going to be great the low freq bass range is going to suffer terribly without a sub. Note I am not running a sub now, but the 601's as sucky as they are do an ok job without a sub at providing bass.

2. Am I going to be pulling my hair out having 601's as surrounds until I can afford the QS8's? I really want to get rid of the Bose wedges, this seems like a decent plan.

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Have you heard those speakers? I would not buy a speaker unless you have heard it first. I swear by Phase Tech, but I always tell people try them out first.

To answer some of your questions, having the Bose wedges for surrounds for a short time while you save money to get rid of the paper weights (sorry, I do not like Bose) that would be fine in MO. Are they going to sound as good as the whole set you mentioned? No...but they will tide you over till you get the loot to buy what you really want. Having a plan like you have is the best way to do HT right, if you are on a budget, and have to piece stuff together. I would NOT get in a hurry about the stuff that is for sure.

Shop around and check out speakers a LOT. That is the most important product in a HT IMO.

Remember Snappy's Golden rule #2.....
"The Bitterness of poor quaility last far longer than the joy of low prices!"

Blessed,
Snap

Mayhem

Mayhem

Audioholic Intern
Hi Snap:

Thanks for your reply. I have not heard the Axioms yet, I have PMs in with two people that have setups similar to what I propose to have. As soon as I get a listen, I will also probably go listen to some Infinitys and also perhaps other brands. The Energy line is also interesting but prob out of my budget (budget being approx $900 for mains, $400 or so for center, and perhaps another $400-500 for the pair of surrounds). I'll also look at Phase Tech, are they i-net only or available via retail channel?

The Bose wedges will all be gone once I purchase the two mains and the center, I will be using the Bose 601 Series III floorstanders as my temp surround speakers until I can purchase the final surrounds. I can't say that will be soon enough, the Bose center wedge is so bad that I am often forced to enable subtitling in order to understand whats being said, sad really on a movie like Batman Begins.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The Phase Tech speakers are basically normal store only. You can find them online occasionally though. Phase Tech. They have a list of dealers, so one might be near you.

Mayhem

Mayhem

Audioholic Intern
Hi Jaxvon:

Thanks for the link for Phase Tech, I will put those on the "to listen" list as well.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
ya man in SO CAL you will have no problems finding a store that has all kinds of speakers. Plenty to choose from out there. Energy's are very nice as well.

Happy hunting!

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
QS8 vote

Just a vote for the QS8 surrounds. My pair does an outstanding job on both movies and music. I have them on stands just behind the couch. Axiom claims they are very flexible in regard to placement and I would tend to agree with that assesment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis