Home theater speaker selection?

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Hello to evrybody. I'm planning to put together a home theater in a room with is open to other areas in the house. The room is about 120ft2 and is open to a family room about the same size. I need to decide what speaker can I use for this for a 5.1 set up. I was looking on bookshelf for space saving (skinny tower may work to). I was reading some info about monolith air motion cinema, but klipsch speakers got my attention. I notice that the klipsch sensitivity is higher which I think should sound louder and better. My budget is around 2000 including the receiver and the sub. For the receiver I was thinking of one of the Onkyo THX receiver. I'm open to try remanufacture equipment. My goal is a nice clear and decent loud home theater so any suggestion is appreciate thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I liked the Air Motion speakers but I think that Klipsch would be fine for your application as well. The Monoprice Monolith THX subs are bound to be higher performing than the Klipsch subs though, but of course they are more expensive, but skip Klipsch's subwoofers if you can. In a $2k budget you should look at RBH's new Impression speakers and also Hsu Research speakers and subwoofers.

I would be wary of Onkyo receivers, especially refurbished ones. Instead, I would be looking at Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Just because a speaker is of higher sensitivity than another doesn't mean it's going to sound "louder and better."

Some of the very best speakers have much lower sensitivity, and sell very well. They do need more power to sound very loud, but generally no one listens at those levels and those who do get enough amplifier power to achieve it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis