Home Theater Setup (Itemized)

S

Sam08

Audiophyte
Hi all.

I wanted to see some opinions on a setup for this. I'm basically looking for a setup where everything can be controlled by my iPhone and the quality of the sound will be medium to high quality. What suggestions would you suggest for me where I don't mind the current cost or a bit higher for the items listed here? My AV Guy has so far wired the house up and has done a great job with his work. I always would want to hear other opinions to see I'm on the right track or things to improve that may have not been suggested to me before. I'm doing my best to future proof my house to keep up with technology as well.

He has also suggested to me with the option of going to use the same speakers but with Savant home theater setup. Your views or comments would be appreciated, thank you all for your time to review this.

Attachments

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd think for the price of the JL subs you could find much better ones. Their -3db point is ~25 Hz, which is a bit lackluster for something that has an MSRP of $1100. At that price, you'd be better off with an SVS SB3000 if you want to stick with a sealed sub. Is that your decision, or their recommendation? Do you have size constraints for your subs?

Also, are you going to have front channel speakers for the TV in the bedroom? If not, I don't see the reason for in ceiling speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a lot to go on, particularly room dims/seating info. But why JL subs? They're nice and small but not particularly effective.

S

Sam08

Audiophyte
I'd think for the price of the JL subs you could find much better ones. Their -3db point is ~25 Hz, which is a bit lackluster for something that has an MSRP of $1100. At that price, you'd be better off with an SVS SB3000 if you want to stick with a sealed sub. Is that your decision, or their recommendation? Do you have size constraints for your subs?

Also, are you going to have front channel speakers for the TV in the bedroom? If not, I don't see the reason for in ceiling speakers
Hi.

I'm putting one in enclosed wall for my family room for the sub and it's a limited on space for the height but if you have better options, I can work on framing to a bigger size for that since we can make room in that enclosed wall.

That is his recommendation. I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you.

S

Sam08

Audiophyte
Not a lot to go on, particularly room dims/seating info. But why JL subs? They're nice and small but not particularly effective.
I'll discuss with him in putting a better sub for the Family room where we can frame out to that. Any suggestions of a decent sub? This room is pretty important and the same for the game room so I would love to hear opinions.

Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll discuss with him in putting a better sub for the Family room where we can frame out to that. Any suggestions of a decent sub? This room is pretty important and the same for the game room so I would love to hear opinions.

Thank you.
Subs are mostly dependent on the volume they face as well as room interactions, so very hard to say what could suffice. JL is a good brand, but a 10" driver can only do so much in a large space, plus they're often much more expensive than the competition for similar performance. I'd say your dealer has these as a profit item more than a really well recommeded item....but we need not just your name for a room but specific room volume and whether it's a sealed space or open to even more volume. Try this for starters....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hi.

I'm putting one in enclosed wall for my family room for the sub and it's a limited on space for the height but if you have better options, I can work on framing to a bigger size for that since we can make room in that enclosed wall.

Since small form factor is important check out the sealed SVS subs. The SB3000 or 2000 pro would be good options in a small footprint.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi.

We need all the relevant dimensions of what's available in your wall particularly. I was only thinking of a stand alone sub initially. Infinite baffle for an in-wall requirement can be interesting....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Since small form factor is important check out the sealed SVS subs. The SB3000 or 2000 pro would be good options in a small footprint.
Yes, I have two SB-3000 in black gloss and they (one is in a corner behind the sofa, but still) looks very nice and are fairly compact, but a little bigger than the JL-d110 that @Sam08 was offered.

Very recently the SB-3000 and PB-3000 was review here on AH: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-3000

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis