Home theater set up

G

<font color='#000000'>I just bought a Toshiba 50 HDX82 HDTV and I'm connecting to a Sony DVD S530D,( not progressive scan), and a Sony Dolby Digital receiver DB840. The new HDTV has component video connections that I have connected to the DVD player. I use an opti-cable to go from the receiver to the DVD. By using the component cable can I eliminate the S-Video cable that I used to use between the DVD and my old TV?  
 I also have a Home Theater set-up DVD that helps with sound and video tweeking. Can I set up my projection screen TV video the same way I would set up my old tube TV or do I leave the HDTV settings alone? The &quot;contrast&quot; setting is set to Auto and I have not figured out if I can manually adjust it. There is a set-up proceedure for contrast on the DVD.</font>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
fin man : <font color='#000000'>By using the component cable can I eliminate the S-Video cable that I used to use between the DVD and my old TV?  </font>
<font color='#000000'>Yes.</font>

P

paulsen

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have found that on my system (Scientific Atlanta HD cable box and Sony 34XBR800 TV) that I need to use both the component video and the s-video connections. The component video is required for HDTV, but I was surprised that the image quality of non-HD channels was greatly inferior through the component video when compared to the s-video. Non-HD TV images are fuzzy -- sort of out of focus -- when viewed via component video. I have no idea why this is.

I therefore use component video connections for DVD (progressive scan) and HDTV, but use s-video for &quot;regular&quot; TV.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis