Home Theater Selection

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
So I have decided to upgrade my whole "home theater", and I'm in the market for a Reciever and speakers. Primarily this will be for movies with a bit of music thrown in.

After going to some listening demos, I liked the sound of the Definitive Tech Mythos series so far. (and my wife liked the looks)

I've also considered the Denon 3805 (or 3806 if it comes out with HDMI this year)

Would this setup be good for a room with wood floors, and stone tile in the surrounding hallways/kitchen? Or would it be excessively/painfully bright?

Thanks

Last edited:
RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
I just finished an install with the new RBH WM 24's and RX-V2500 and the system completely rocked the house. The client it was installed for listened to many systems and was shocked at the level of performance I was able to obtain from this system

Attachments

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Clarification

I suppose I should clarify. I was looking at the Mythos One. I'm not looking for plasma speakers, necessarily. My wife liked the looks of the mythos one because we have the Samsung HLP5085W DLP tv, and the speakers match the style of the tv.

(Note: That got us in to listen to them...but they sounded excellent in the store.)

My biggest concern is the room accoustics, being all hard, reflective surfaces...will a "warm" receiver (as I've heard the denon 3805 is) balance out a "bright" speaker enough to compensate?

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
It's been my experience that "warm" and "bright" sounding electronics impact a system much less than the speakers: and speakers *may* have less of an impact than the room acoustics (I say *may* because I can't decide myself). I believe that if you're happy with the sound of the DefTec speakers in the shop then you'll need to address the room acoustics next. There have been a number of really good write-ups on this website (and others) aboute standing waves, reflection, etc.; and I think you'll find that at the very least you shouldn't have too difficult a time setting up your room for (at least) your prime listening positions (area rugs on the floor between the speakers and seats, hangings and bookcases at the side reflection points, heavy curtains or drapes on glass, etc.).

Bryan...and buy a RatShack analog SPL meter and test disc...

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Room acoustics first, correct set up and calibration second,speakers third, amps pre-amps and associated electronics fourth, I hope you are not under the false assumption that an amplifier will help tame room acoustical problems ;)

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
RLA said:
Room acoustics first, correct set up and calibration second,speakers third, amps pre-amps and associated electronics fourth, I hope you are not under the false assumption that an amplifier will help tame room acoustical problems ;)
Wondering if an amp will tame the speakers so that what sounds precise in the store won't come across as piercing in the house.

That, and whether or not that setup sounds like it might work, or if there would be better choices for amps...such as Marantz. (But I'm sure there are other posts about that)

Last edited:
F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
gellor said:
Wondering if an amp will tame the speakers so that what sounds precise in the store won't come across as piercing in the house.
Bzzzzzt, thanks for playing ;) . The amp isn't going to be your "go to" fix in this situation: you really need to find a set of speakers you like, and tune your room acoustics around them. I can promise you that $100 of home-made room acoustic treatment will have orders of magnitude more impact on your listening pleasure than changing similar spec'ed amps or receivers.

gellor said:
That, and whether or not that setup sounds like it might work, or if there would be better choices for amps...such as Marantz. (But I'm sure there are other posts about that)
I'd buy a good Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel, Arcam, etc.that isn't top of the line and got the best deal on, and I'd be perfectly happy as long as I'd SET UP MY ROOM PROPERLY! Really-buy some floor rugs and put in some bookcases. I'm serious. If you feel the need to put more money into your system I'd buy a better sub before I'd buy a new receiver looking for warmth or brightness. Trust me: I'm not the only person who'll tell you this on this board.

Bryan...but I might be the most irritating :cool: ...

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the good info, y'all. I know I have a lot more reading to do. (and I need to stop listening to salesmen)

Good thing I'm giving myself a while to research/learn before buying. :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
My biggest concern is the room accoustics, being all hard, reflective surfaces...will a "warm" receiver (as I've heard the denon 3805 is) balance out a "bright" speaker enough to compensate?
The Denon 3805/6 is an excellent choice for most speakers. It's internal eq can tame most dead or live rooms, but it's not an end all. Room acoustics will do as much or more to tame down sibilance as well as reflections. Hardwood floors, bare walls, lack of window treatments, etc... will play havoc with sound. I think you're on the right track, and have gotten some very good advice on this thread.

kay

kay

Audioholic
flyv65 said:
The amp isn't going to be your "go to" fix in this situation: you really need to find a set of speakers you like, and tune your room acoustics around them. I can promise you that $100 of home-made room acoustic treatment will have orders of magnitude more impact on your listening pleasure than changing similar spec'ed amps or receivers.

I'd buy a good Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel, Arcam, etc.that isn't top of the line and got the best deal on, and I'd be perfectly happy as long as I'd SET UP MY ROOM PROPERLY! Really-buy some floor rugs and put in some bookcases. I'm serious. If you feel the need to put more money into your system I'd buy a better sub before I'd buy a new receiver looking for warmth or brightness.
Very good advice. *APPLAUDS LOUDLY* :)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The Denon/Mythos is an excellent package, especially since it meets the WAF. There is no speaker/receiver combo that works well in a bright sounding space.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis