Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
You didn't connect the center channel speaker to the right channel amp and vice versa, did you inadvertently?
Not this time...lol! I didn’t touch the LRC channel, I just replaced the wires to the surrounds. I gotta get that imaging back. It has to be Auddessey

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
So I calibrated the speakers last night and screwed everything up. Big boomy base I couldn’t correct.

1.Tried reloading my last Audyssey profile, that didn’t help.

2.reset the subs from scratch, ( happy with the subs, but not sold on the app.)
2. (A) moved the subs out of the corners a foot and a half.

3. Ran Audyssey APP again, realized that the my dyslexia is full bore. The ten previous times I ran it I crossed the number 2 and three positions for sure, if not all of them.

4. Read through some old threads and increased the calibrated subwoofer distance by 6 feet each.

5. Audyssey set the crossover for all speakers to 40, i left it there. I normally set the L&R to 60 and the rest at 80. It set the L&R to large, I set it to small. Turned off the midrange compensation.

I don’t want to get too happy too fast but surround sounds good on Directv, I listened to the Eagles live from the Forum...ok might have something here.

While reading old threads I see a lot of you like SCAD’s and high quality cd’s.

I need to invest in source material again. Late 80’s I had about 300 LP’s, then cd’s appeared. Over the years I purchased about 150 cd’s. Then came streaming....somewhere it just became more convenient to stream.

I understand that BlueRay players play cd’s but how do I maximize the sound experience? Or would I do better buying a CD player?

I like the old jukebox idea....

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
So I calibrated the speakers last night and screwed everything up. Big boomy base I couldn’t correct.

1.Tried reloading my last Audyssey profile, that didn’t help.

2.reset the subs from scratch, ( happy with the subs, but not sold on the app.)
2. (A) moved the subs out of the corners a foot and a half.

3. Ran Audyssey APP again, realized that the my dyslexia is full bore. The ten previous times I ran it I crossed the number 2 and three positions for sure, if not all of them.

4. Read through some old threads and increased the calibrated subwoofer distance by 6 feet each.

5. Audyssey set the crossover for all speakers to 40, i left it there. I normally set the L&R to 60 and the rest at 80. It set the L&R to large, I set it to small. Turned off the midrange compensation.

I don’t want to get too happy too fast but surround sounds good on Directv, I listened to the Eagles live from the Forum...ok might have something here.

While reading old threads I see a lot of you like SCAD’s and high quality cd’s.

I need to invest in source material again. Late 80’s I had about 300 LP’s, then cd’s appeared. Over the years I purchased about 150 cd’s. Then came streaming....somewhere it just became more convenient to stream.

I understand that BlueRay players play cd’s but how do I maximize the sound experience? Or would I do better buying a CD player?

I like the old jukebox idea....
A blu-ray player will play any CD with better performance than most CD players, so it isn't worthwhile to get a CD player. Today, you can easily get a blu-ray player for less than $100. It will also play DVDs.

EDIT: You can get a reliable SONY player for $120:

https://www.amazon.com/BDP-S3700-Blu-Ray-Player-Built-Wi-Fi/dp/B07YGP42ZX/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Sony+blu-ray+player&qid=1601523351&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyV0RQWVJTVUZTMFNVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjI0MDAwMUJUNU1FVzJTSzFSWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzU0NjQwM0swOFBIS1FCVTNIQiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General

i lost my soundstage, after moving my surrounds, upgrading and moving my subs, running Audyessy a few times, my phantom center in two channel is about two inches! If I center myself, I can hear it but if I move my head literally 2” to either side I lose it.

I am going to try a few things in this article..

Do you guys have any ideas on how to widen the sound stage? I never moved the left or right speakers...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

i lost my soundstage, after moving my surrounds, upgrading and moving my subs, running Audyessy a few times, my phantom center in two channel is about two inches! If I center myself, I can hear it but if I move my head literally 2” to either side I lose it.

I am going to try a few things in this article..

Do you guys have any ideas on how to widen the sound stage? I never moved the left or right speakers...
You can widen the soundstage by distancing the front speakers. But you would get a better soundstage by using ribbon or air motion transformer tweeters. These have a wider horizontal sound dispersion than any other tweeter.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I am married to these JBL’s for a few years. What I had was great, I just don’t understand how I could lose it without touching the speakers....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am married to these JBL’s for a few years. What I had was great, I just don’t understand how I could lose it without touching the speakers....
Are you sitting closer to the front speakers? That would be a reason. The change in the soundstage has nothing to do with the moving of subwoofers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Try using direct just for comparison. I’ve had times where audyssey messed up my imaging too. Make sure you’re 100% consistent with the mic pattern.
Also, my JBL’s that are older than yours seemed to respond to different amounts of toe in. They are a different design as yours have the big horns, but I’ve always found experimenting with toe to be worth the time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis