Home theater receiver.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you both for the help. Let's forget about the Onkyo. Denon 3700 versus 4700. $500 difference. Is it worth it to buy 4700?
All of these modern products perform very well. I think you should choose whatever lights your fire and fits your budget. Everyone has hardware preferences. They may not be your preferences and that is fine. It is harder to do it wrong than to do it right. Choose whatever appeals.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Yeas, I got new receiver Denon 6700. After running Audyssey setup I am happy with the sound. I am going to add two side speakers and maybe new or additional subwoofer. I am very unhappy with the picture. When I had old receiver I choose a Sport picture. The picture was sharp with saturated colors. Now I have Dolby Vision and my tv (LG77) lost the "Sport" picture setting. Is anything I can do to get Sport picture or adjust Standard or other pictures to have bright, sharp picture with saturated colors? I am thinking of returning this AVR and use the old one Denon 4100W so I can go to Sport picture adjustment. I have 5 speakers Axiom and subwoofer SVS1000. Please help me with picture settings.
Thank you for your help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeas, I got new receiver Denon 6700. After running Audyssey setup I am happy with the sound. I am going to add two side speakers and maybe new or additional subwoofer. I am very unhappy with the picture. When I had old receiver I choose a Sport picture. The picture was sharp with saturated colors. Now I have Dolby Vision and my tv (LG77) lost the "Sport" picture setting. Is anything I can do to get Sport picture or adjust Standard or other pictures to have bright, sharp picture with saturated colors? I am thinking of returning this AVR and use the old one Denon 4100W so I can go to Sport picture adjustment. I have 5 speakers Axiom and subwoofer SVS1000. Please help me with picture settings.
Thank you for your help.
I don't use an avr for video, just pass it thru and let the tv handle it (my tv has many options, more so than the avr). I think avr video sections are more useful for old legacy video rather than modern....

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I don't use an avr for video, just pass it thru and let the tv handle it (my tv has many options, more so than the avr). I think avr video sections are more useful for old legacy video rather than modern....
i am sorry but I don't know how what you mean "pass it thru".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I turn off video processing in the avr, and just pass the incoming hdmi signal on to the tv....check your manual's video section or your setup menu. What are the video mode options in your tv?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I turn off video processing in the avr, and just pass the incoming hdmi signal on to the tv....check your manual's video section or your setup menu. What are the video mode options in your tv?
I’ve always done that too. TVs are much better at processing video.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Do you mean set in video settings Picture Mode Off that means "No picture quality adjustment is done with this unit"
On my tv LG 77 C1 Dolby Vision has following modes: Vivid, Standard, (user), Cinema Home, Cinema (user), Game Optimizer,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you mean set in video settings Picture Mode Off that means "No picture quality adjustment is done with this unit"
On my tv LG 77 C1 Dolby Vision has following modes: Vivid, Standard, (user), Cinema Home, Cinema (user), Game Optimizer,
That sounds right, then use the favored mode (personally I like usually the movie/cinema type modes for most accurate colors) but perhaps one of the others appeals more to you....

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I think my problem with quality pictures in Dolby Vision is caused by old cable. I think I need good quality 2.1 cables. I ordered Fusion HDMI 2.1 cables. Is this the right choice?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I think my problem with quality pictures in Dolby Vision is caused by old cable. I think I need good quality 2.1 cables. I ordered Fusion HDMI 2.1 cables. Is this the right choice?
Any cable certified as "Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable" => (HDMI 2.1) will work. Those Fusion ones are good looking, but they are about 4 times the cost of a Monoprice supplied one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI cables are about bandwidth/speed and should be marketed that way....2.1 is a hardware designation but not for cable particularly, altho it may give you an idea of capabilities, I'd rather have actual info about the bandwidth/speed capability. https://hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

Never heard of Fusion, I get my hdmi cables (and most cabling/speaker wire) at Monoprice generally, altho I think I have one or two Mediabridge cables too. I'm with Jim, I found a Fusion for $45....just seems a bit pricey....

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I don't like factory Dolby Vision Cinema or other pictures setup. Does anybody have his/her own setup to get the best pictures? I have LG77. . Is it possible to get Soap Opera picture with HDR or Dolby Vision signal ? I would appreciate any tv setups so I can setup my tv. I like sharp picture with saturated colors.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I don't like factory Dolby Vision Cinema or other pictures setup. Does anybody have his/her own setup to get the best pictures? I have LG77. . Is it possible to get Soap Opera picture with HDR or Dolby Vision signal ? I would appreciate any tv setups so I can setup my tv. I like sharp picture with saturated colors.
What kind of separate streaming devices or disc players are you using in the setup? Picture settings will vary a bit when using the TV's built in apps compared to devices connected via HDMI. Changing an HDMI port to "PC Mode" will also change the available settings for that port. I often change settings in my TV, also an LG C1 77", to get a picture that I like out of it. Keep in mind that the C1 TV's picture settings for SDR and HDR content are mutually exclusive but each set can be applied to all inputs so that one is not making adjustments for every single input regarding SDR and HDR content.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I use Roku, Fire stick. PS5 and Blue Ray player Panasonic DP-UB820. All the devices are connected to my receiver Denon 6700 via HDMI. Is it better to connect all my devices strictly to TV and use receiver just for sound? You say "Changing and HDMI port to PC Mode" is it in receiver or tv? Could you share with me yours picture settings? If signal is SDR the picture is perfect. The problem starts with HDR signal. Thank you for your input.

M

Maher444

Audiophyte
  • Best 7.2 AV Receiver Under $2,000 – Lexicon RV6.
  • Best Under $1,500 – NAD T 758 v3.
  • Best Under $1000 – Denon AVR-X3600H.

these are the best receivers for you. then up to you

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The 6700 is nice, keep it. My settings tend to change and I recently had a Simplink(HDMI-CEC) meltdown after connecting six devices to my receiver and another three directly to the TV. LG's implementation of HDMI-CEC is a mess and its universal remote control function does not work for devices connected to the receiver so using it in combination with Simplink is a no go for those devices. I had to reset EVERY single device in my system to unscramble the works. Then, I said f#%k it and reduced the number of devices to six and have them all going through the receiver. Now, Simplink is playing nice with all of my devices.

I added an XBOX Series S to the setup not too long ago and decided to make settings changes to get the best out of it. I also have a Mac mini M1 in the setup. So, I put the TV's HDMI 2(eARC) port into PC Mode. This cannot be done when Simplink is on so make sure to turn it off if it is on or the TV will not give you the option to change the HDMI 2 port settings. Then, I set every device's picture setting to Game Optimizer, much to the chagrin of many. Input lag is nearly removed when using it and response time on this TV is near instantaneous. PC Mode disables many picture adjustment settings.

Dolby Vision has its issues on my TV using an Apple TV 4K. Even when energy saving features are all off, the TV will dim in dark scenes using Dolby Vision. I can't say it looks any better than HDR10 with the TV's tone mapping on so I set the Apple TV 4K to HDR10. Though, I do let the XBOX handle HDR and the TV is set to HGiG for it. The C1 does not support DSC(video compression) so you will be limited with uncompressed signals using the PS5 even when connected to the 8K port with 8K Enhanced selected as the PS5 has a 32Gbps cap compared to the 40Gbps cap in the receiver and TV. It will perform some color subsampling when playing in 4K HDR @120Hz to stay within the 32Gbps cap. It will still look great.

The most finicky device will be the PS5 because of the HDMI 2.1 features. Make sure to get Ultra Certified HDMI cables all the way around for continuity. I usually get mine from Monoprice.com but to each their own. The PS5, receiver and TV support VRR so you should be good as long as the PS5 is connected to your receiver's 8K port. The receiver's Picture Mode should be OFF so images pass without adjustment. The Video Mode should be set at Auto and with no analog devices needing conversion, the conversion feature should be OFF. The i/p Scaler should be OFF as well. The TV will do what it needs to do. Remember to go into the Game Optimizer settings and set "Delay Input Lag" to "Boost" and turn on VRR.

The LG C1 tends to turn on Simpllink automatically when changing certain settings. If you are going to use eARC, there are additional sound settings to consider to get full bandwidth out of it. While the picture on the C1 is amazing, webOS is s#%t and I have turned off network settings and use the TV as just a monitor right now. Everything has been working reliably this way. I thought I might lose some video quality from the XBOX Series S but it looks great. Keep in mind that the LG C1 does not support DTS at all and DTS tracks will be converted and passed to the receiver in PCM from devices connected directly to the TV. Oh, and while in PC mode using the Game Optimizer, the TV will disable any True Motion settings. You cannot use VRR in conjunction with motion interpolation anyway.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Having a great picture is not about saturated colors only. It often how the directors intended the content to look. You will see it varies widely and the most accurate picture modes are cinema.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
If i watch movies I use cinema. I have two choices Cinema Home (user) and Cinema (user). Which one is better? I like better Cinema Home (user). I also watch sports. Should i also use cinema to watch the sports events?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis