Home theater receiver.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I found Denon 6700 for $2400 on saveandsound website. It is open box but they offer 30 days return policy. I think this the best choice to have good receiver for less money. The other costs around $4000. Any opinion ?
P.S. I would like to thank all of you for the comments.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see an open box, but not much info as far as the warranty goes, and the way they propose an extended warranty at additional cost isn't clear as to what the base warranty is. If it's still eligible for the full factory warranty (3 years) and still has a 30 day return policy that seems a good deal....$3300 seems to be the best price on other online locations for a new one.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I think that is a great price on the 6700 and it should do all that you need and then some. My opinion is you will have a MUCH better setup if you take the money you save on the difference and allocate it to other things like the software upgrade, the calibrated mike, room treatments, etc.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I see an open box, but not much info as far as the warranty goes, and the way they propose an extended warranty at additional cost isn't clear as to what the base warranty is. If it's still eligible for the full factory warranty (3 years) and still has a 30 day return policy that seems a good deal....$3300 seems to be the best price on other online locations for a new one.
They offer full factory warranty and 30 days return policy. They also offer extra warranty.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I think that is a great price on the 6700 and it should do all that you need and then some. My opinion is you will have a MUCH better setup if you take the money you save on the difference and allocate it to other things like the software upgrade, the calibrated mike, room treatments, etc.
I will need your help in explaining the other things like software upgrade, the calibrated mike and room treatments. What else do i need to calibrate my receiver. So, I will go with this deal.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will need your help in explaining the other things like software upgrade, the calibrated mike and room treatments. What else do i need to calibrate my receiver. So, I will go with this deal.
I own denon as well the 3700 and have the Audyssey Editor App so come back on here after it comes in I think we can help you with any questions you have on setting it up

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I have one more question. The receiver is Denon 6700HOB. The receiver in store is Denon 6700H. Is it still ok to buy HOB? What"s the difference between HOB and H version?.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Hi, OK here are next steps. After you purchase your receiver you will want to setup your room and speakers properly. This is often determined by things we can't control like the size of your room, family considerations, neighbors if you live in an apt, etc. I have two diagrams posted in my thread on ceiling treatments that lay it out.
To set up the seating and speakers properly I used a tape measure and a laser pointer.
Once you have your room setup and your new receiver installed run the audyssey program that comes with it. There is a microphone included and a setup wizard that walks you through it, very easy. Once you get that far see how you like it and THEN we can discuss room treatments.
Now, the new Audyssey app can be installed to your PC from the microsoft store. The calibrated mike can be purchased on amaxon. Those are the last things to consider after you do everything else. So, if you want help setting up your room please list the speakers you have and post some pics of your room. You can download the manual for your receiver from the Denon website today, probably a good place to start, OK?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I have one more question. The receiver is Denon 6700HOB. The receiver in store is Denon 6700H. Is it still ok to buy HOB? What"s the difference between HOB and H version?.
HOB= H Open Box I think, so yes, all good.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Hi, OK here are next steps. After you purchase your receiver you will want to setup your room and speakers properly. This is often determined by things we can't control like the size of your room, family considerations, neighbors if you live in an apt, etc. I have two diagrams posted in my thread on ceiling treatments that lay it out.
To set up the seating and speakers properly I used a tape measure and a laser pointer.
Once you have your room setup and your new receiver installed run the audyssey program that comes with it. There is a microphone included and a setup wizard that walks you through it, very easy. Once you get that far see how you like it and THEN we can discuss room treatments.
Now, the new Audyssey app can be installed to your PC from the microsoft store. The calibrated mike can be purchased on amaxon. Those are the last things to consider after you do everything else. So, if you want help setting up your room please list the speakers you have and post some pics of your room. You can download the manual for your receiver from the Denon website today, probably a good place to start, OK?
Thank you

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I know Denon and Marantz is one company. If I have a choice between Denon 6700 and Marantz 8015 what it would be? In some reviews on Google Marantz has better score than Denon. I like more power and deeper base.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I know Denon and Marantz is one company. If I have a choice between Denon 6700 and Marantz 8015 what it would be? In some reviews on Google Marantz has better score than Denon. I like more power and deeper base.
They will both work well for you, I would get the one with the best price. Your room setup and acoustics will make a much bigger difference IMO regardless of the one you select. See if this article helps:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The avrs are equally rated as far as amp power. Personally I'd go with the one at a better price. The bass will be due your speakers/subs, not the avr particularly. You can check out the review of the 8015 here on Audioholics https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8015
and the 6700 on S&V https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8015

As far as the software to help setup there are two, and I'd start off with the simpler Audyssey Editor App ($20). If you want to spend more time with measurements the Audyssey MultiEQ-X app license is $200 (but not transferable between avrs, license is per avr).

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I checked all reviews and I think I am going to buy Denon 6700. The price is $700 lower than Marantz. The $20 Audyssey App will be on my phone or PC? Can I installed on my laptop? I think you wrote that I need additional microphone to use it? Does the $20 App also require extra microphone? If I decide to buy the Audyssey Multi-X app license the installation requires desktop or laptop? I am fresh listener so I am sorry for lack of knowledge in this matter. Currently I own Denon 4100 so I am familiar with Audyssey setup. I only use microphone provided by Denon.
Thank you and I will contact you (if you don't mind) after installing and running the Audyssey.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I checked all reviews and I think I am going to buy Denon 6700. The price is $700 lower than Marantz. The $20 Audyssey App will be on my phone or PC? Can I installed on my laptop? I think you wrote that I need additional microphone to use it? Does the $20 App also require extra microphone? If I decide to buy the Audyssey Multi-X app license the installation requires desktop or laptop? I am fresh listener so I am sorry for lack of knowledge in this matter. Currently I own Denon 4100 so I am familiar with Audyssey setup. I only use microphone provided by Denon.
Thank you and I will contact you (if you don't mind) after installing and running the Audyssey.
The $20 app just uses the avr's microphone and is for phone/tablet use (both android and apple). The $200 X-license does not include a calibrated mic, but can use one, and is intended for use with a pc (laptop would be more portable and likely easier to use in that sense, tho).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@andyj you might want to check out these threads

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Great choice with the Denon, that is a BIG savings and you can use it for other things. Your receiver will come with a good microphone for use with thye Audssey software that is preinstalled. You can run it just by plugging it in and following the setup wizard without buying anything else.
Now, for $20 you can get the app which allows you to easily customize the settings. This video will walk you through some tips for best performance:

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Now, if you want to further improve your performance you can get a software upgrade from Audyssey for $200 from the Microsoft store. I would only purchase this software AFTER you have done all the previous steps with the built in audyssey software and the $20 app. Use your system in that setup for about a month to really get used to it. At that point if you want an upgrade you would purchase the Audyssey MultEQ X software and you will probaly want to get a calibrated microphone that is also available to use it with. This video breaks it down in more detail from the guys that make your receiver and the engineer at audyssey that designed the software. It is a long video but considering how much you will use that receiver worth watching when you are ready:

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
andyj, please remember to post a list of your speakers, other gear, and if possible pics of your room when time allows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis