Home theater receiver.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’m looking at Denon but I have a lot of trepidation because I’m sure if a new series will come out soon. I’ll likely bite the bullet on the 4700.
With the chip issues shipping issues and just the world stabilizing after the last couple of years it should be awhile before they go with a new lineup. They just came out with this lineup not too long ago

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
With the chip issues shipping issues and just the world stabilizing after the last couple of years it should be awhile before they go with a new lineup. They just came out with this lineup not too long ago
I feel okay about the 4700 but not the 8500HA which if there was more certainty that would be my direction.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I feel okay about the 4700 but not the 8500HA which if there was more certainty that would be my direction.
How come your not certain about the 8500HA if you don't mind me asking

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I have decided to buy Onkyo RZ-50. I am going to have 5.1.2 setup. I need help in locating two additional high speakers. Any idea?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have decided to buy Onkyo RZ-50. I am going to have 5.1.2 setup. I need help in locating two additional high speakers. Any idea?
Congratulations! Do you mean locating as in where to place them or locating as in what type of speakers to buy?

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
Depends what you want in the way of feature set/connectivity/amp section/room eq software. Might use the comparison tool here to look at differences side by side.

I'm still a little leery of Onkyo what with their financial issues the last few years, altho there is this https://www.audioholics.com/news/despite-bankruptcy-onkyo-pioneer-elite-av-drives-on
Well my AVR didn’t score very well in that comparison chart(74). Oh well. It’s what I have to work with. Yamaha RX-A800

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well my AVR didn’t score very well in that comparison chart(74). Oh well. It’s what I have to work with. Yamaha RX-A800
I wouldn't particularly pay attention to the "score" they use. More about the differences in features/connectivity that's nice to see side by side...avrs are generally more similar than different.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The only way Onkyo is gonna sell any AVR is if they sell the AVRs dirt cheap. And if they sell them dirt cheap, Onkyo (whoever is the owner for THAT year since it seems to change every year :D) will CONTINUE to go bankrupt (like they seem to go bankrupt every year).

Should people buy Onkyo and risk going with a company that seems to be going bankrupt every year? The dirt cheap prices seem to be very attractive to some people. :D

BTW, I just checked out the 4K-remastered versions of "For a Few Dollars More" and "A Fistful of Dollars" and the picture quality look like crap on my 150" screen. :mad:

Man, I am so spoiled with all these new movies shot using 4-8K Digital Cameras. :D
Yeah, keep riding up high on that yamahahahaha horse. They’ve done so much in the last two years. If it wasn’t for the mother ship, you know, atv’s, musical instruments, pro gear, outboard boat motors, etc they’d be just as fukked.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I am looking for home theater receiver. I am considering between OnkyoTX-NR7100 and Denon AVR -X4700. The price of Onkyo is $1099 and Denon $2099. Is it worth it to pay $1000 more? I am also open for suggestion with different receivers. Can anybody help me to make decision?
Look at Anthem. Gene reviewed them and they did well.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I am back again. I purchased Onkyo TX-RZ 50. I have returned it because of not enough power for my high ceiling living room and very poor app for calibration. I am thinking about 3 receivers: Marantz SR 8015, Denon 6700H and Denon 8500HA. The Denon 8500HA is most expensive and I am not sure is worth of the money. Does anybody have experience about all of them or one of them? Would you tell me about setting/calibration of Marantz ? Denon has Odyssey how about Marantz?
Andyj
P.S. I am not audio Guru so please forgive me my silly questions.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I am back again. I purchased Onkyo TX-RZ 50. I have returned it because of not enough power for my high ceiling living room and very poor app for calibration. I am thinking about 3 receivers: Marantz SR 8015, Denon 6700H and Denon 8500HA. The Denon 8500HA is most expensive and I am not sure is worth of the money. Does anybody have experience about all of them or one of them? Would you tell me about setting/calibration of Marantz ? Denon has Odyssey how about Marantz?
Andyj
Onkyo, Marantz, Denon are all the same company.

Try looking at Anthem.

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Andyj
What is the reason for the 6700 vs the 4700 or 3700? How many channels are you powering and what are is the sensitivity of the speakers?
I went from a Dirac unit (NAD) to a Denon 4700 recently. I’m much happier with the Denon. I really like Audysseys dynamic EQ.

it’s very easy to use.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Onkyo, Marantz, Denon are all the same company.

Try looking at Anthem.
Marantz and Denon are both under Sound United ownership, Voxx has Onkyo these days.

Andyj
What was wrong with the setup for the Onkyo? Did you try the Dirac feature or just AccuEQ? What speakers are you using and what are the distances from each speaker to your seat?

Denon and Marantz, are more similar than different and both use Audyssey, one may have a slightly more interesting feature set/price combo for your use. The Denon & Marantz models all have a full set of pre-outs so you can add external amplifiers as needed if you need more power.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I was reading very positive review about Anthem receiver. I am not familiar with Anthem so i don't know which is good. Any help.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
My choice over the years, has been Denon with NO issues. I buy new every 5 years due to possible engineering changes for the better. I'm on my 5th one which, is a 2020 model bought in 2021. I still have my 2015 Denon AVR and have not advertised on Nextdoor.com as yet plus some speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was reading very positive review about Anthem receiver. I am not familiar with Anthem so i don't know which is good. Any help.

It's a long thread, but if you're spending a lot of money, might be worth reading a lot first. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My vote is for Denon they measure well and have zero issues they're firmware is extremely stable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am back again. I purchased Onkyo TX-RZ 50. I have returned it because of not enough power for my high ceiling living room and very poor app for calibration.
That Onkyo has Dirac Live Room Correction, which a lot of audiophiles rave about.

You didn't like Dirac Live?

You only need 5.2.2? That's only 7Ch, so pretty much any AVR > $1K will do 7Ch.

But you need to ask yourself some questions - like what is the salient factor to you?

1. Room Correction? Audyssey? ARC? A lot of audiophiles love Dirac, might be the best - arguably. :D
2. Reliability?
3. Warranty? 5YR vs 3YR? Free shipping both ways for Warranty service or don't care?
4. WiFi Audio Streaming built-in vs separate device?
5. WiFi Remote Control vs physical remote?

Last edited:
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Andyj
Denon and Marantz recently upgraded the Audyssey software which works really, really, well. It is a paid $200 upgrade plus you will want to buy a calibrated mike. It is night and day over the regular audyssey in my room with my Marantz processor. The anthem offers ARC which is good but their receivers do not offer auro 3d, which I like a lot for music upmixing:

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
BTW, with high ceilings it might be a good idea to use room treatments, feel free to check out my thread:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis