Home Theater Questions

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for the long thread, but I have multiple issues and am having a tough time making decisions. Hopefully you can help. I have 2 home theaters setup.

#1) Living room - 5.0 = Yamaha TSR 7810 with Fluance signature floor standing, center, and Bi-Polar rears. I found it difficult to hear center and use primarily for music
#2) Finished 3rd floor - 5.1 (purchased mid 90's) = Marantz SR 7000 with Paradigm reference bookshelf L/R and small Bi-Polar rears. 12" Paradigm sub that rocks the house. Room is 20X20 with raised ceiling. Although large room for bookshelves, I never had system up to full power and did not need more sound ( based on Gene's explanation of power, I bet the Marantz is > today's 100W ratings).
With the new purchase, and winter coming I'll be watching more TV, and I decided to work on upgrading the Home Theater. I have a 12 foot screen I plan on installing instead of sheet.

Issue #1: 3rd floor R front bookshelf started crackling. Some time after, receiver began cutting in and out, then no sound at all. Powers up but no sound.
Issue #2: Lightning hit and fried Yamaha in living room. I ordered a Yamaha A-2080 to replace, and then found my TSR is under 2 year warranty.

Questions/Decisions:
1) Receiver placement: TSR in home theater (movies only) and A-2080 downstairs (primarily music)?
2) Do I move Fluance speakers upstairs and replace living room with bookshelves? Wife would be pleased.
3) Is the low center volume a Fluance issue or receiver issue? Can I correct via receiver?
4) If I move paradigm downstairs, can they handle the power of A-2080?
5) Is it worth getting the Marantz fixed? Is the Marantz a better AV unit compared to TSR?
6) Is it worth eventually adding 7th surround? should I continue to use bipolar?

Attachments

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Update: I've done a lot of reading other's posts (slightly ignorant vs. full-on ) and think I have some answers:
> Old Marantz does not support ATMOS/DTS-X, so it is not good for HT, but may be good for music.
> The upgraded Processer in the Aventage makes it more suitable for HT. It is arriving today and will go in the upstairs (5.1 for the time being).
> Main New Questions - Speaker suggestions in the upstairs HT-only room. What price level of speakers for HT only? Can I make use existing speakers? Would existing Paradigm even pair with my old speakers? Channels: 7 or 9? My speaker budget is around $2500 excluding sub. I'd rather spend on higher end components and slowly expand, but would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
> Should I mount speakers on ceiling (ATMOS) or sides (DTS)? 7.1.2 or 5.1.4? There seems to be strong opinions for and against ATMOS, but it seems to be based on:
1) Seating position - its just wife and I, so we can dial it in to 2 seating positions
2) Processor? Does processor affect HT sound?
3) Room acoustics - pictures posted.
Man this is difficult! What would you do if it was you?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Atmos might be tricky for you since a flat ceiling is suggested. If it were me I'd still try it tho, but ONLY if in ceiling speakers are an option. I would also get your front left and right out of the corners. Bring them in closer to the screen. Theres a ton of great speakers in that budget, others will chime in on that im sure. Just try to keep them all matching. Same family etc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
General consensus is to get all identical speakers if possible.

If not, then the MAIN FRONT 3 speakers should either be identical or match (designed to match by the designer).

Surround speakers aren't as important.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
It’s not as difficult as it seems the hardest part to me anyways would be the speakers to put up on the ceiling running all the wires. But other than that the autocalibration will do all the leg work than you can go back into your settings menu to tweak the way you like it.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Update: I've done a lot of reading other's posts (slightly ignorant vs. full-on ) and think I have some answers:
> Old Marantz does not support ATMOS/DTS-X, so it is not good for HT, but may be good for music.
> The upgraded Processer in the Aventage makes it more suitable for HT. It is arriving today and will go in the upstairs (5.1 for the time being).
> Main New Questions - Speaker suggestions in the upstairs HT-only room. What price level of speakers for HT only? Can I make use existing speakers? Would existing Paradigm even pair with my old speakers? Channels: 7 or 9? My speaker budget is around $2500 excluding sub. I'd rather spend on higher end components and slowly expand, but would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
> Should I mount speakers on ceiling (ATMOS) or sides (DTS)? 7.1.2 or 5.1.4? There seems to be strong opinions for and against ATMOS, but it seems to be based on:
1) Seating position - its just wife and I, so we can dial it in to 2 seating positions
2) Processor? Does processor affect HT sound?
3) Room acoustics - pictures posted.
Man this is difficult! What would you do if it was you?
I had some trouble following this, but as I understand it you have 2 spaces that you're working with but I'm not sure which is the main (music and movies) or which is for music.

On the Marantz...I'm a fan of Marantz pre/pro when you can get an outgoing model at least 20% below MSRP...the AVRs, the same principle applies, but in your case...I would look at Denon or Yamaha...tend to get the same or equal performance for less money. Sounds like you already have a new Yamma on the way so that solves that.

HT speakers...I would just focus on getting the LCR from the same brand and timbre matching. The Paradigm are fine speakers, if in good shape I'd keep them in the music room.

Atmos...I have a bonus room up with slanted ceilings like yours...you have enough room to put 4 speakers in ceiling in the flat part of the ceiling...as mentioned by others...from my experience of starting with 2 Atmos and expanding to 4...ideally place 2 slightly forward of the viewer and 2 slight behind the viewer for the best results.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Thank you to all for your opinions and suggestions. Selecting HT components seemed insurmountable, but after reading many threads and suggestions above, my feelings have improved to slightly overwhelmed ;-)

Here are some decisions:

1) Downstairs living area used for music - keeping as-is with Yamaha TSR and Fluance speakers. The Fluance's are Boom-y and fill my open floor nicely when properly adjusted.

2) Third floor HT (pictured above). Currently 5.1, planning to upgrade to 5.1.4 (eventually 5.2.4??). I'd like to keep purchases around 2K / month. No more than 6k total.

Sept: Yamaha A-2080 sitting in box for me to install
Oct: Left / Right / Center channels. Will use current Paradigm to create 7.1. Considering Philharmonic BMR+MTM Center ($2300).
Dec: Add 4 in-ceiling A $500-$600X4. RBH? Have time to decide.
Feb - rears? 2nd sub? Maybe nothing if I'm happy with sound.

Any thoughts / considerations? I guess I need a ATMOS blue ray player too?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank you to all for your opinions and suggestions. Selecting HT components seemed insurmountable, but after reading many threads and suggestions above, my feelings have improved to slightly overwhelmed ;-)

Here are some decisions:

1) Downstairs living area used for music - keeping as-is with Yamaha TSR and Fluance speakers. The Fluance's are Boom-y and fill my open floor nicely when properly adjusted.

2) Third floor HT (pictured above). Currently 5.1, planning to upgrade to 5.1.4 (eventually 5.2.4??). I'd like to keep purchases around 2K / month. No more than 6k total.

Sept: Yamaha A-2080 sitting in box for me to install
Oct: Left / Right / Center channels. Will use current Paradigm to create 7.1. Considering Philharmonic BMR+MTM Center ($2300).
Dec: Add 4 in-ceiling A $500-$600X4. RBH? Have time to decide.
Feb - rears? 2nd sub? Maybe nothing if I'm happy with sound.

Any thoughts / considerations? I guess I need a ATMOS blue ray player too?
So it seems like downstairs is settled.

2. This space is music and movies iirc...

Oct...As a Salk owner, I love the BMR selection

Dec...nice but from my experience you could spend less for what Atmos is going to give you...the Polk RC80i function pretty good for Atmos.

Feb...rears, for movies I wouldn't be too brand conscious. If multi-ch music ever becomes a big part of your listening, maybe brand consciousness should matter a little more as well as range.

sub...if it's mostly movies and localization doesn't bother you, you'll have no problem with one sub...it's possible that you may get ideal placement, try one and see how it goes but 2 smooths it out.

Atmos...most of what you can get is disc based so yes, you would need a bluray...at this point 4k is where most of the atmos titles are formatted.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Some updates to my journey.....
My thoughts were, I currently had a decent, but aged system. Replacement/add-ons would be higher end and I would slowly upgrade over time. Currently needing ATMOS receiver and extra speakers to move from 5.1 to 5.1.4. That was the thought behind the Yam 2080 AVR purchase which far exceeds the current equipment. When connecting 2080 AVR, my sub died shortly after going through YPAO. I didn't have a chance to experience a movie with new receiver ;-(. Without the sub movie watching on my system is horrendous. I thought my speakers weren't working, but music sounds OK.

I have on order:
1 - SVS PB4000. I was considering 2 HSU's but holding to the higher end goal, I went with 1 PB with the possibility for adding a 2nd in the future. I had never thought of adding a 2nd until reading posts here these last couple of weeks. I had never noticed direction from any sub. when it arrives, I will pay attention to see if it is noticeable.
2 - Philharmonic BMR X 3. After several conversations with Dennis, which was a pleasure, he recommended skipping the center and going with a third bookshelf. It might look odd with a vertical center, but he recommends this for the best sound. This is the first time I have ever "commissioned" an item instead of warehouse procurement. It's a longer wait and I feel like the guy waiting for Heinz to come out of the bottle while anticipation is playing in the background ;-)
3- Sony X800 - my S790 did Dolby True HD and DTS-HD, is TrueHD the same as Atmos?
4 - Amazon speaker stands and Mono price 12awg cable. I know there is debate over the need for 12awg/pure copper, but an extra $80 for 300' isn't going to be make a noticeable difference in my blown budget.

Now my original budget of 3k has ballooned to 6500 and 4Xatmos and timbre matched rears are TBD. While I wait for delivery I have to figure out how to cut the ends of my projector screen to fit into the tapered ceiling (picture above). My plan is to mount from the floor and have it slide open to the ceiling (upside down). I can then put on a 30" stand and use a curtain draped in front.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Some updates to my journey…
Generally, you made good choices. Like 2channel lover, I applaud your choice of Philharmonic BMR speakers, you will not regret getting them. I'm glad you spoke with Dennis Murphy, he's the real deal. Don't worry about the wait, it's worth it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis