Home theater options- Budget $1000

V

VikramNeranki

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I’m looking for home theater options for a budget of $1000. I’m more or less convinced that I would be going with SVS PB1000 or SB1000 subwoofer ($500) . But yet to decide between the two.
What are my options for surround, center channel and tower speakers?
Also which one do you suggest between PB1000 and SB1000? I have decent acoustics.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What is included in this budget? AVR as well as speakers? Because if so, I would not budget a $500 sub into a $1000 system. It would make for a lop-sided system.

V

VikramNeranki

Audiophyte
What is included in this budget? AVR as well as speakers? Because if so, I would not budget a $500 sub into a $1000 system. It would make for a lop-sided system.
Thanks for the reply. Yes my budget is including the sub woofers. From what I have heard/read so far, we get bang for the buck by investing more on the sub woofers with a low budget like mine.... But would love to hear other perspectives.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
You are budgeting for speakers and sub. Anything else that needs including? AVR? Source? TV?

V

VikramNeranki

Audiophyte
You are budgeting for speakers and sub. Anything else that needs including? AVR? Source? TV?
I am looking only for speakers and sub at the moment. I have AVR, source and TV already.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
$500 for speakers isn't a lot. How big is your room?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am looking only for speakers and sub at the moment. I have AVR, source and TV already.
Between the SB1000 and PB1000, go for the PB1000. The SB1000 should only be considered when floor space is at a premium. The Monoprice Monolith 10" THX and Hsu VTF-1 mk3 are also great alternatives here.

However, that does not leave so much room for speakers. But I think it is still doable. Here is a system that gives you very nice front stage speakers and a OK surround speakers: get some RSL CG3s for front left/right and a CG23 for the center. For the surround speakers, use some Monoprice MP-65RTs, or Dayton B452-AIRs, or Polk T15s. I think such a system would sound very nice.

Another option that would be good would be an all Dayton MK442 setup, if it can be arranged. The Dayton MK442 is a great cheap speaker. You could do a 7 channel system of just those and it would be very good for the money- plus it would leave you more money for an even better subwoofer. Check out a Hsu VTF-2 mk5 for something that is more powerful than any of the 10" woofer subs mentioned above. The Outlaw Ultra-X12 is also a very powerful sub, somewhat more expensive, but looks nicer.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
get some RSL CG3s for front left/right and a CG23 for the center. For the surround speakers, use some Monoprice MP-65RTs, or Dayton B452-AIRs, or Polk T15s. I think such a system would sound very nice.

Another option that would be good would be an all Dayton MK442 setup, if it can be arranged. The Dayton MK442 is a great cheap speaker.
My worry would be (undistorted) SPL. His room is 15'x30'.

The RSL's you listed, for example, is 87 db SPL @ 1 watt, 1 meter distance. If he's at ~4m, that's a peak (and I worry about quality at peak) of 95db.

I mean: 95db is pretty darn loud; but it's below what I'm used to aiming for peak performance for a given listening position; and I'm worried about those speakers in that room.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It would take only 60 watts to get 95 dB at a distance of 14 feet, so the speakers can handle that kind of power.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
It would take only 60 watts to get 95 dB at a distance of 14 feet, so the speakers can handle that kind of power.
How does that math work? 14' is just over 4m.

So 1w@1m = 87db
Double the distance: 1w@2m = 81db
Double again: 1w@4m = 75db
Multiply the power by 10x 10w@4m = 85db
Multiply that by 10x: 100w@4m = 95db

And that's slightly less than 14ft while he may actually be farther back than 14ft (we don't know his listening position yet)

Where did you get your "60w" from?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My worry would be (undistorted) SPL. His room is 15'x30'.

The RSL's you listed, for example, is 87 db SPL @ 1 watt, 1 meter distance. If he's at ~4m, that's a peak (and I worry about quality at peak) of 95db.

I mean: 95db is pretty darn loud; but it's below what I'm used to aiming for peak performance for a given listening position; and I'm worried about those speakers in that room.
He just doesn't the budget for a surround sound system with a really wide dynamic range. He might be able to get a 2.0 system that can handle a 4m listening distance, but 4m is somewhat far back.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That budget makes me think of the used market. Lots of people upgrade constantly so deals on used gear gets you a lot more in that tight budget. Otherwise double that budget or a bit more. You will get the equivalent of IKEA if you force it into that budget. (All parts eventually would be upgraded is my guess and that $1,000 is wasted)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
That budget makes me think of the used market. Lots of people upgrade constantly so deals on used gear gets you a lot more in that tight budget. Otherwise double that budget or a bit more. You will get the equivalent of IKEA if you force it into that budget. (All parts eventually would be upgraded is my guess and that $1,000 is wasted)
I agree. The used market offers some real advantages here.

V

VikramNeranki

Audiophyte
My seating position would be approximately 12 feet from the TV

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis