Home Theater layout

U

Unregistered

I have yet another question about how I should arrange my home theater in my new house.
Here is a picture of the family room:

The question is, where do I put the rear speakers?
I have a 6.1 system, so there is a rear center to be placed as well.

I may have to mount all three on the ceiling.

I'm currently thinking of going with a 60" DLP (or equivalent) rear projection t.v.

Any suggestions?

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
You may get away with putting the side surrounds above the fireplace and just across from it. It may work well if you use dipoles. The rear channel would definitely have to go on/in the ceiling unless you wanted to use a stand.

plhart

Audioholic
I'd suggest putting the screen in the corner between the first window and where you've said "TV here". You'll need to mess with varying the angle so that you can get a good view from both the breakfast nook and kitchen. This corner placement can automatically eliminate first order sidewall reflections for the left and right front speakers which is really quite a big deal.

Use dipole/bipole swichable left and right surround speakers at about 110 degrees from the center speaker. Your couch might be a quarter round or L-shape placed out in the room so you can see both the fireplace and the TV.
110 degree right dipole might end up over the window to the right of the fireplace. Left surround will end up about the 8' mark on your 11' wall.

For your 6.1 channels use a minimum of 2 speakers in ceiling at least 10 feet behind the listening position. Try to get the distance to all 4 surround speakers as close to equal-distance-to-the-listening position as possible.

Sub 1 goes behind the TV. See if there's a way to put a second sub into the kitchen counter area.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis