Home theater guys, floor standing speakers (help)

J

JDM EG6

Audiophyte
first post be nice guys!

Ive spent the past 2 weeks searching and hearing all speakers.

They will be powered by a Harman/Kardon (AVR 347) reviver and will be used 99% for home theater only, not music.

Price range Im looking to spend is anywhere up to 1500 (cdn)per pair. I need 2 pairs and a matching center if my polk csi3 isnt suitable.

Ive listed and them below and considering.

1. Polk Audio Monitor 70 (great sound, a little bulky though, but will fit)

2. Athena Thin Floor Speakers (WS-100B), very thin but for the price I think they are just lacking the powerful feel/sound.

3. Tried a few from Energy, great spekers but too bulky in the wideness area.

4. Pok Audio RTi10, I really love everything abut these as well athough, they are about 1" too wide and after the set up is all done, it wouldnt fit where it is needed.

5. Klipsch Synergy Floor Speaker (F2), Wow, was I not impressed for the usuall quality but what do you expect for near etry level.

6. Infinity Tower Speaker (P362), better then the flipsch f2's although I tested with below and didnt have a better sound then the PA speakers :S

7. PA 3-Way Quad 5" Tower Loudspeaker (5HD4), Im not sure what to say. I know they are not big name, I know they are not built as well as all above BUT I must say, they perform amazing at all levels and sound great in every way and the price is simply amazing :shock:

8. Paradigm Monitor 7, Not sure what to say, amazing speaker, amazing price! Although hearing them back to back vs the much more expensive referance series millenia 200.....

9. Paradigm referace Millenia 200. WOW, Im trying to find a reason to maybe not spend so much here, as the 4 of them and center will cost a small fortune.

So if anyone has any experience with any of the above or has anything else that is perfect for home theater and isnt too too wide, then let me know, Im all ears and open to suggestions :)

thanks guys!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Do you need Tower speakers or would Bookshelfs work. Reason I ask is you can get a higher quality speaker by doing Bookshelfs over Towers.

If you liked the Paradigm Monitor line you might want to audition the Paradigm Studio 40's.

J

JDM EG6

Audiophyte
more opions please guys. Studio 60 are nice, nothing against them either!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I take it you live in Canada? Where bouts?

SheepStar

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
If you are going to be using a subwoofer, then you won't really be getting any advantage with floorstanders, so you shouldn't discount bookshelves completely.
If you are NOT using a subwoofer, and this setup is going to be for movies, then... You should be!

J

JDM EG6

Audiophyte
Thanks again guys and I have either a very nice 12" sub or a new 10" ready to be used pending how much more bass I may want/need and I will sell what one I dont use.

Ill check out a&b sound now.

A

audioaddict

Audiophyte
You might have a listen to the new B&W 683 and/or 684. The 683 towers now have a FST midrange and nautilus loaded tweeter making them a great bang for the buck. To me they sound like a nice ballance between the CM7 and the 703, both of which are more expensive. If you can find them I feel they deserve a listen. I paid $1250US for my pair of 683s

Jey Jockey

Jey Jockey

Junior Audioholic
Axiom M80v2 or m60v2

These are highly rated speaks and I own the m80s...simply superb sound, however you need a hefty amp section for the 80's, the 60 are almost as good, just a little less bass but any amp section will drive them nicely.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80ti_main.html

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If you are going to be using a subwoofer, then you won't really be getting any advantage with floorstanders, so you shouldn't discount bookshelves completely.
If you are NOT using a subwoofer, and this setup is going to be for movies, then... You should be!
I second this post entirely. In fact, I will advise that given your systems use for movies 99% of the time, a sub is a must have. Rather than spending on floorstanders, spend the money on a killer sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis