Home Theater for DJing?

D

djswamy

Audiophyte
Hi - I have a 20x25 family room in the basement. I am planning on buying some equipment for 2 different purposes and wondering if you can give me some tips. My biggest question is if a single set of equipment will be able to cater both needs

Need 1: Surrond sound system for a 50 inch TV (quality of music is important as well as the effect and base)

Need 2: Dj Speakers - should be able to have higher volume and considerable amount of base. Also should be able to play for about 2-3 hours continuously.

Can I get away with one set of equipment? (one speakers, one speaker system)

I will not be using the equipment for parties all the time. maybe 3-4 times an year - that's it. But will be mostly using it for Home Theater. So if there is a package that you can suggest which can be used primarily for Home Theater, but can be extended if needed for some basic Djing (I will buy the mixter, cd set separate) - that will be great. Also for DJing, I am not looking for a whole lot of base with a whole lot of power (volume)

My budget is around $1000-1500 for Home theater speakers, amp/receiver (if both needs can be accomodated in one set of equipment, I will spend closer to 1500+). I would like to stick with good brands like anyone else :)

thanks!!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Although not the best for reproducing classical and smooth jazz, Klipsch and Cerwin Vega come to mind for speakers worthy of long, safe, loud periods of play. As far as an amp to drive them for that amount of time, you'll want a unit with a large power supply (heavy receiver - 40+ lbs) and a lot of ventilation. You may already have a separate amp for your mixer. Do you need surround sound when dj'ing? If not, you can get away with a budget surround receiver and a separate two channel type studio amp. Members here can recommend some specifics on the models.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
When you say DJing, do you plan on getting turntables and such? Or are you just going to be playing CDs? Will you be hauling your speakers around, or will this just be home DJing for a party?

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
I think it should suffice for "Home DJing" but for professionals.........naaah!

D

djswamy

Audiophyte
Home Theater for Home Parties

Thanks so much for the questions and suggestions.

I changed the title this time to say: "Home Theater for Home Parties". So No I will not be moving the speakers around (mobile DJ) for other parties. Just looking for something that I can affix and keep it but then use them for home parties.

I do not need surround sound when DJing (or playing music at a higher volume for a longer period of time with good base for home parties)

So - just lookign for equipment that I can use at my home for "home" djing - not at a professional level. I will be using CDs for my music source - no turntables :)

Please advise :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, it's hard to say. A pair of Cerwin-Vega CLSC-215 speakers would rock the house, but I don't think they'd sound too awesome for HT or "normal" music listening. A pair of those speakers is about $800 shipped from an internet retailer. As with many other recommendations, I think it might work best if you build up your system in pieces. Spend that $1500 now on a reciever and a pair of mains. Then later add the other pieces of the puzzle.

For speakers, Axiom's bigger tower speakers are a great option, but more pricey than the cerwins. They would also need a sub to hit the low bass. Of course, they would also sound a heck of a lot better than the cerwins.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

jaxvon said:
Well, it's hard to say. A pair of Cerwin-Vega CLSC-215 speakers would rock the house, but I don't think they'd sound too awesome for HT or "normal" music listening. A pair of those speakers is about $800 shipped from an internet retailer.
They may work fairly well. They'll play very loud, they have enough bass for any normal music, and I've been told that with some easy and inexpensive mods they can be made to sound pretty good. Apparently the main problem is that they're not well braced or damped; if you're even remotely handy with tools, this ones pretty easy to fix. Glue in some dowel bracing and add some extra fill or Black Hole #5 and you're in business, or so I've been told. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis