Home Theater for Basement

R

rbull34

Audiophyte
Hi All,
Looking to complete my first home theater 3.1 system in my basement. I've been doing tons of research but looking for advice. Here are the details:

-Room is 12' x 22'
-Floor is carpeted
-TV is a 65" LG OLED just purchased (Has new HDMI 2.1 inputs)
- I will sitting approx. 7 feet away from the TV/Speakers

After doing some research, I decided to audition some higher end speakers and came up with the following potential systems:
- Paradigm Premier Series 800f Towers with Center Channel
- SVS Ultra Towers with Ultra Center
- Goldenear Triton2+ Towers with SuperCenter XL

As for Subs, I will most likely go with a SVS SB-3000. I was going to go with the ported PB-3000, but the associated at SVS over the phone said that at the distance I will be listening to the speakers, the SB's are the better choice. I'm still not clear if I should go with a sealed or ported sub.

For receiver, I was looking at Anthem MRX520 since I will not be setting up an Atmos

My questions for the forum are the following (and note that I will mainly using this system for TV and Home Theater and not as much for music):
- Are the systems I'm looking at too powerful for my space?
- Should I get the 2000 series subs instead of the 3000?
- I've heard Denon AVR's has had HDMI switching issues...any truths to that?

Any input on any of this information and questions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-

M

MTSound

Audioholic Intern
Pretty new here myself but here are some suggestions from my previous research and questions

Room size will be asked for.
Seating distance from sound?

Emotica t2 tower and c2 center.

Jbl studio series with an infinity center

Wait on sub until you know which speakers so you can find the right match. Include looming at the hsu subs, outlaw and Monoprice monolith subs

As for receivers most will tell you the denon x3500h is a great value and a small debate will be on your thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hi All,
Looking to complete my first home theater 3.1 system in my basement. I've been doing tons of research but looking for advice. Here are the details:

-Room is 12' x 22'
-Floor is carpeted

After doing some research, I decided to audition some higher end speakers and came up with the following potential systems:

My questions for the forum are the following (and note that I will mainly using this system for TV and Home Theater and not as much for music):

Any input on any of this information and questions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-
Personally, I prefer the Paradigms to the Tritons. I've not heard the Ultras to compare to them though. Which sounds best to you? Are there any seats that are far off axis? That would impact your center choice as the Triton XL is a 2 way design whereas the Paradigm Premier and SVS Ultras are 3 way designs.

As for your other questions I don't think these speakers are too powerful for your space, it's not like you have to play them at full tilt. I'd look towards the 300 series, always better to have too much subwoofer than not enough. People tend to prefer ported subs for home theater usage due to their efficiency at the low end. I've not had any HDMI switching issues with my Denon going on 5+ years now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi All,

-Room is 12' x 22'
-Floor is carpeted

As for Subs, I will most likely go with a SVS SB-3000. I was going to go with the ported PB-3000, but the associated at SVS over the phone said that at the distance I will be listening to the speakers, the SB's are the better choice. I'm still not clear if I should go with a sealed or ported sub.

For receiver, I was looking at Anthem MRX520 since I will not be setting up an Atmos

-
Regarding the speakers, I haven't heard the SVS Ultra speakers, but the difference between the Paradigm and the Golden Ear speakers is that the Golden Ear speakers might have a bit more 'sparkle' at the top end on account of the elevated tweeter response above 9 kHz or so. The Paradigms are voiced for neutrality, in other words, I would expect them to be more accurate. I would go with the Paradigm or SVS speakers due to the center speaker design, which I would guess is better performing them the Golden Ear center speaker. The Paradigm Premier center is still once of the best-if not the best- center speakers I have dealt with to date.

As for the SVS SB-3000 vs the PB-3000, the difference is deep bass. If you want deep bass extension and output, the PB-3000 has a lot more of that then the SB-3000. I don't know what the rep you spoke to was talking about, but listening distance has noting to do with their performance differences. There will be a comprehensive review published soon on Audioholics that covers both subs. Bottom line, if you want more oomph to the deep bass that you hear in movie effects sounds, get the PB-3000. It will make for a more 'cinematic' experience.

The Anthem receiver will be a solid AVR if you don't care about Atmos. It will be very reliable and well-engineered.

Regarding your other questions:
The speakers are probably overkill for you in terms of dynamic range, but they should still sound very nice. There is nothing wrong with using them in that kind of space with that kind of listening distance, although may never take full advantage of their dynamic range. The Paradigms are killer speakers, I really like those things.

The 2000 series subs are good, but they are not on the level of the 3000s. I would only go with the 2000s if you were planning to get multiple subs.

R

rbull34

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for your input. I was thinking about going with the Prime Pinnacle towers with the Ultra Center, but I saw that Paradigm has a 20% discount right now until the end of this month. So with that, do you recommend the Pinnacle Towers or the Paradigm Premier 800's? I'm not sure if the Goldenear Triton 2+ are worth the extra $2,200 or so.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did someone say Ultra Towers?? :p

I own the Ultras and I'm very happy with them. I haven't heard your other choices tho so I've no point of comparison between them. I know SVS' customer service is about as good as it gets. I've had them replace a grille, a sub amp once and someone here recently got a new Ultra woofer shipped, free of charge to replace one that had a slice in the surround. All out of warranty. Then there's their 45 day customer bill of rights, etc, etc. I knew if I didn't like what I was hearing they'd take 'em back and pay for the return shipping so no risk there either.

Gene and Hugo's review of the bookshelf and Marshall's on a 5.1 setup helped tip the scales for me when I was shopping. I concur pretty much across the board with their observations. They're clean, neutral and maintain very good composure at high volumes. They're not "power hungry", but they can handle plenty of it without bottoming out or breaking up. The tweeter is very nice. Good detail with no harshness or grain. They're not forward or bright, and easy to listen to. Great, detailed mid bass and they dig down to 30 Hz with real authority.

R

rbull34

Audiophyte
Did someone say Ultra Towers?? :p

I own the Ultras and I'm very happy with them. I haven't heard your other choices tho so I've no point of comparison between them. I know SVS' customer service is about as good as it gets. I've had them replace a grille, a sub amp once and someone here recently got a new Ultra woofer shipped, free of charge to replace one that had a slice in the surround. All out of warranty. Then there's their 45 day customer bill of rights, etc, etc. I knew if I didn't like what I was hearing they'd take 'em back and pay for the return shipping so no risk there either.

Gene and Hugo's review of the bookshelf and Marshall's on a 5.1 setup helped tip the scales for me when I was shopping. I concur pretty much across the board with their observations. They're clean, neutral and maintain very good composure at high volumes. They're not "power hungry", but they can handle plenty of it without bottoming out or breaking up. The tweeter is very nice. Good detail with no harshness or grain. They're not forward or bright, and easy to listen to. Great, detailed mid bass and they dig down to 30 Hz with real authority.

Would it make sense to get a sense of Prime Pinnacles with an Ultra Center? Also, ported or sealed for the 3000 subs? It'll be in my basement in a 12x22 room with me sitting seven feet from TV/speakers. Thanks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would it make sense to get a sense of Prime Pinnacles with an Ultra Center? Also, ported or sealed for the 3000 subs? It'll be in my basement in a 12x22 room with me sitting seven feet from TV/speakers. Thanks.
I think that would make sense, sure. Especially since you're covered for bass with the subs. I haven't heard the Pinnacles but shady wrote up a nice review on them. I'll bet they retain all the goodness of the Ultra towers towers minus some low end (again, moot point with subwoofers). Easier to place tho and they share a lot of the same electronics and drivers. If they were available when I got my towers I might have gone that route myself.

R

rbull34

Audiophyte
I think that would make sense, sure. Especially since you're covered for bass with the subs. I haven't heard the Pinnacles but shady wrote up a nice review on them. I'll bet they retain all the goodness of the Ultra towers towers minus some low end (again, moot point with subwoofers). Easier to place tho and they share a lot of the same electronics and drivers. If they were available when I got my towers I might have gone that route myself.
Thanks...I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Goldenear Triton 2+'s. Hear anything about those?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis