Home Theater for $1500 recommendations

J

jeffdean5

Enthusiast
Hello!

I am new to home theaters and am looking to spend about $1500 for a 3.1 system. My spouse does not want wires showing and I am not very handy so I think a surround sound is not in my future. I also love the idea of including atmos speakers but I think that won't work either with the wiring I would have to attempt. From the pictures you can see the basement layout. The basement is about 24 feet (the wall where the TV is) by 32 feet and the ceiling is 8 foot and it is textured. Primary use is to stream moves and some gaming. (80% streaming, 20% gaming). I am considering the polk and elac systems recommended in Wirecutter as well as the RSL/SVS recommended on Audioholics. I will also need to buy a receiver. Could potentially use it for karaoke. I don't know if that needs any special consideration.

Thanks for any thoughts and recommendations. I am not in a hurry and may just wait for black Friday for good sales.

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Mains

Center

Subwoofer

J

jeffdean5

Enthusiast
That looks amazing, but I would still need to get a receiver. Denon seems well liked? Probably gets me to about 2k, Would I need something like the Denon 3600H or something less expensive like the S750H. I am really lost on receivers.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Would I need something like the Denon 3600H or something less expensive like the S750H.
The 3600 is a really nice receiver. Do you need it? No but it does have a lot if nice features

J

jeffdean5

Enthusiast
That is a bit more than I want to spend but I am curious is there benefit to having 2 subwoofer 10s vs putting more money in 1, like the HSU?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That is a bit more than I want to spend but I am curious is there benefit to having 2 subwoofer 10s vs putting more money in 1, like the HSU?
You have a Large Room. 10" sub IMO isn't going to give the Performance to Justify purchasing it.

Id rather have 1 Great Sub then 2 Just OK subs

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
And others would say always 2....but in your case, with a space that size, I’m with @mazersteven: get the biggest sub you can afford and add another down the road. Check the used market as well, deals are sometimes out there if you have the patience for that sort of thing!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You could always add these Down the Road. Or go with the HSU

J

jeffdean5

Enthusiast
Thanks! I had a conversation with my wife this morning, and after showing her the cost of the cantons she leapt at the CMT-340s. lol Initially she did think my budget was going up to 4-5k, so maybe I could have even gotten away with the Cantons, if I had a more expensive option to show her first. :) But I think the CMT-340s with the HSU you mentioned will be a great choice. It will mostly be used for movies, and rarely music. I will do some more looking, and maybe wait for labor day for sales. Although from my reading I don't think the CMT's or the HSUs go on sale very often. I am looking at the Denon-S750H, looks like I can get that at Costco for 430.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Never Never Ever get the Wife involved (and you can show her I wrote this I'm not Scared). o_O

J

jeffdean5

Enthusiast
LOL, I did mention I was going to wait for sales. Labor day is around the corner but from what I have read HSU and Ascend don't have sales so often anyway.

J

jeffdean5

Enthusiast
I am obsessed with these forums. Been reading a lot about the Canton 396.2s. My wife agreed to them if i want them. I am not a music person, we do watch more movies and TV during this time and I have always wanted to have a speaker system. It sure is a huge step from my cheap sound bar. The Ascend CMTs look perfectly fine, about 1k for the speakers. Spend another 1k for the 396.2 towers and the center? Agonizing. :) Are the Canton's more for music people or will it make a big difference for watching movies? I hate it when I can't understand the dialogue. Is it overkill to have the towers and the Hsu subwoofer? There is enough space inbetween the couch and the TV? (There is 13 feet) The basement itself is large, but I like the couch where it is for the TV viewing. I will have the speakers for a long time so it is probably okay to spend a bit more on something really nice.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The Ascend CMTs look perfectly fine, about 1k for the speakers.

Spend another 1k for the 396.2 towers and the center? Agonizing. :)

Are the Canton's more for music people or will it make a big difference for watching movies? I hate it when I can't understand the dialogue.

Is it overkill to have the towers and the Hsu subwoofer?

There is enough space inbetween the couch and the TV? (There is 13 feet)
The Ascends are nice speakers. And for a Budget HT system are great.
But the Canton 596.2 are a big Up-Grade.
Are the Cantons for Music people? Yes the Cantons are excellent for Music. (You might find yourself listening to more music with these) But you could put an Awesome HT system together with them. And you will hear the Dialogue. (At a cost remind you)
OVERKILL??? Go Big or Go Home. No such thing as Overkill.
And I think there is plenty of space

J

jeffdean5

Enthusiast
Is denons 570h an okay choice? It is now on sale at assesories4less

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis