Home theater critique :-)

H

Hunterdan777

Audioholic Intern
I am new to audioholics and this is my very first post...woohoo!! I'm glad I joined. I am looking for advice and comments on the setup that I have because I am relatively new to this..want to learn...I've finally been able to upgrade... only took 25 years.... and about 2 weeks to fight to put speakers in the ceiling... lol. I watch a ton of movies and love good sound and rumble...
My setup goes as follows
-Samsung 65" mu8500 curved UHD TV... (Made in Mexico.... believe it or not there is a difference in where it was made)
-Denon AVR X6500h
-Definitive Tech 1000 Center speakers ×2
-Definitive Tech 800 front and rear speakers
-Definitive Tech 600 surround speakers
-Definitive Tech 600 ceiling speakers ×4
-Definitive Tech 800 subwoofer
-Definitive Tech 600 subwoofer
Someday would like to upgrade to Klipsch... but this is what I could afford at the time...
So these are my questions... And by the way I've attached a lot of pictures for reference... Is my speaker placement accurate? Are the Crossovers with the audyssey multeq xt32 Dynamic volume setup on point?
And what's to do with Dynamic volume ..is it necessary?.... as you can see by the pictures of the room area... it is an L-shaped room... With the second subwoofer behind the couch.... I guess I'm just looking to get a critique good or bad.... I know I will have to play around with subwoofer placement but for now this is where they are at. thank you in advance and I appreciate it... Dan

Attachments

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Dan!
Imo it mostly looks good. I commend you on mounting the tops right to the ceiling. I guess if I were to offer anything it would be to move the couch forward off the back wall
If you can. Theat will help smooth bass out and give nicer separation from your ears and rear tops and surrounds, instead of being all in the same kind of area. I couldn’t fin the CC speaker so wherever that is, I’d excavate it and put it directly below the screen. To me the subs would the first equipment to upgrade but budgets can be tough. I get that. Dynamic volume, Ime is useless. It basically just levels the volume. So dynamic swings are lessened, like commercials being louder or someone sleeping in another room. DynamicEq can be useful though. But do know that along with raising bass and treble, it also raises the volume level of surround and rear top speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, I missed this...
Lfe+mains should be set to LFE.
and the cc level is really low so that’s odd.

H

Hunterdan777

Audioholic Intern
Also, I missed this...
Lfe+mains should be set to LFE.
and the cc level is really low so that’s odd.
thank you so very much for the response... the CC level to which you are speaking of I'm assuming is the individual levels of all the speakers. If that is the case I find that rather odd as well

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Dan, where is the CC installed? I was looking pretty hard at the pics but couldn’t find it. Maybe I’m blind? Lol

H

Hunterdan777

Audioholic Intern
Well because I'm such a noob. What is CC level

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Did you just purchase this system and what made you go with the Def Tech?

That's a Big Boy receiver for this system

H

Hunterdan777

Audioholic Intern
Did you just purchase this system and what made you go with the Def Tech?
Ive had the definitive Tech 800 series for a lot of years so I just bought more speakers within the last year after I bought my Denon receiver... their customer service has always been excellent to me with replacing cones for free... I guess I wanted to stay with the same brand. If I had a ton of money I would have bought Klipsch

H

Hunterdan777

Audioholic Intern
Did you just recently purchased the receiver
I have had the receiver for about a year... The only reason why I'm posting now is because I didn't even know this forum was around... so I'm glad I found it. And I have time on my hands right now to play around with it

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I have had the receiver for about a year... The only reason why I'm posting now is because I didn't even know this forum was around... so I'm glad I found it. And I have time on my hands right now to play around with it
Okay what's done is done but for your information for the next time your speakers are supposed to be the main cost of investment into your home theater system.

So if I was advising you today your receiver would have cost in between $329 - $799

H

Hunterdan777

Audioholic Intern
Okay what's done is done but for your information for the next time your speakers are supposed to be the main cost of investment into your home theater system.

So if I was advising you today your receiver would have cost in between $329 - $799
Gotcha... I spent a little more than that on the receiver LOL... If the speakers are that important what is your advice

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That's right. What's done is done so why bring it up? These guys can beat a dead horse til' the flies won't have it.:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I made it out of pallets and a dead white birch tree I had in my yard. :)
Nice!!! Not sure where you are but I was just gathering driftwood from Lake Superior yesterday for my aquarium.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis